RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

F-sport vs luxury

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-18, 07:09 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mssca
In Canada it is "synthetic leather" on F-Sport while Lexus called it "genuine leather" on Executive package. I assumed F-sport is not real leather or low quality leather because why would a company like Lexus go out of their way to print on their promotional materials stating "synthetic leather" unless they have to by law.

Only the base (premium) model has fully NuLuxe (synthetic), all the other ones including the 2 F-Sport series are leather, except the bolsters, backrest sides and headrest are in NuLuxe. Also NuLuxe on the console and the doors harmrest. Not sure about the steering wheel.
Old 02-14-18, 07:18 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

For those of us who remember what REAL leather was like, these new versions don't even come close! The old leather smelled like leather, but this smell was offensive to the japanese who managed to give us leather without the scent. Everyone followed, including those makes that used to give us the smell of leather. Today with the way they tan leather one can hardly tell the difference and since you can't smell it, what IS the difference? I'm one of those who wouldn't be wiling to pay extra for what manufacturers call leather. In my case it came with the vehicle. I had a MB with their version of synthetic leather and it worked fine for me. One can still find real leather, but alas only in RR & Bentley.

Last edited by Cocal; 02-14-18 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-14-18, 10:43 AM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

Received 112 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Cocal
For those of us who remember what REAL leather was like, these new versions don't even come close! The old leather smelled like leather, but this smell was offensive to the japanese who managed to give us leather without the scent. Everyone followed, including those makes that used to give us the smell of leather. Today with the way they tan leather one can hardly tell the difference and since you can smell it, what IS the difference? I'm one of those who wouldn't be wiling to pay extra for what manufacturers call leather. In my case it came with the vehicle. I had a MB with their version of synthetic leather and it worked fine for me. One can still find real leather, but alas only in RR & Bentley.
The Audi A8 as well the Jaguar XJ will completely submerge your olfactory with that luxurious smell of real leather. You can bathe in it...it's that good.
Old 02-14-18, 11:12 AM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

Here's how my wife and I came to our resolve between the two models:

We have a sports car and a luxury sedan and wanted an economical means vehicle for the traveling longer distances when we visit our parents because we usually have to carry stuff we normally don't carry. Because of the seat bolstering in the F Sport we felt that our elderly parents would be challenged to get in and out of the front seats. I ride in the back when we shuttle our mothers about and for me the electric reclining and heated seats have worked out better than expected. My wife felt the F Sport might be a little to firm for our parents and beside we have a sports car for those times when a soft ride doesn’t cut it. We both like the aggressive looks of the F Sport, but I also like how the horizontal slat grill bars on the lux makes the RX appear wider from the front (plus, I was able to have PPL applied to the slats). The wheels are far better looking on the F Sport than the lux with the changeable color wheel insets. I like the lighter colored headliner in the lux versus the darker headliner in the F Sport as the lighter headliner makes the interior bright and appear larger—to me. I'm mixed on the different speedo gauge clusters on both models. The F Sport badging looks great. I like the engine sound that the F Sport makes inside the vehicle better than the lux. We have running boards on our lux, but there are days I feel they are useless and more cosmetic than other days when they somewhat work; for our parents they are a mixed bag too. We both love the lux front seats power cushion seat extender which makes long trips more enjoyable. I use the rear door window shades when I'm relegated to the backseat as I like to catch some z's. All-in-all the lux worked better for our situation.
Old 02-14-18, 11:21 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalRX
The Audi A8 as well the Jaguar XJ will completely submerge your olfactory with that luxurious smell of real leather. You can bathe in it...it's that good.
Absolutely! I do so miss it .
Old 02-14-18, 11:38 AM
ut2sua
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Here's how my wife and I came to our resolve between the two models:

We have a sports car and a luxury sedan and wanted an economical means vehicle for the traveling longer distances when we visit our parents because we usually have to carry stuff we normally don't carry. Because of the seat bolstering in the F Sport we felt that our elderly parents would be challenged to get in and out of the front seats. I ride in the back when we shuttle our mothers about and for me the electric reclining and heated seats have worked out better than expected. My wife felt the F Sport might be a little to firm for our parents and beside we have a sports car for those times when a soft ride doesn’t cut it. We both like the aggressive looks of the F Sport, but I also like how the horizontal slat grill bars on the lux makes the RX appear wider from the front (plus, I was able to have PPL applied to the slats). The wheels are far better looking on the F Sport than the lux with the changeable color wheel insets. I like the lighter colored headliner in the lux versus the darker headliner in the F Sport as the lighter headliner makes the interior bright and appear larger—to me. I'm mixed on the different speedo gauge clusters on both models. The F Sport badging looks great. I like the engine sound that the F Sport makes inside the vehicle better than the lux. We have running boards on our lux, but there are days I feel they are useless and more cosmetic than other days when they somewhat work; for our parents they are a mixed bag too. We both love the lux front seats power cushion seat extender which makes long trips more enjoyable. I use the rear door window shades when I'm relegated to the backseat as I like to catch some z's. All-in-all the lux worked better for our situation.
You had done your homework, and you deserved your pick. I spent literally 15 mins deciding between the Lux and the FSport. The only options under consideration was the seat and the grill really (with the suspension differences understood). I didn't even know other details such as the extra low lip of the front bumper in the FSport etc. Wife was decidedly moving toward the FSport, and now I am glad she did so
Old 02-14-18, 12:12 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

Sounds horrible...whenever I walk into a leather store, I walk out with a headache. We probably associate the smell of leather-making chemicals with the smell of leather. In actuality new car smell and leather smell is not good for you.
Old 02-14-18, 12:32 PM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Sounds horrible...whenever I walk into a leather store, I walk out with a headache. We probably associate the smell of leather-making chemicals with the smell of leather. In actuality new car smell and leather smell is not good for you.
High-grade leather, tanned properly, always smells good to me. The majority of people never own leather from select hides. My wife loves her Tod's purses (Tod's makes Ferrari interior leathers) and there is difference beyond chemicals. Your higher-end leathers are typically vegetable-tanned.
Old 02-15-18, 04:13 PM
Mikenunb
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default F-sport vs luxury seats

Before starting a new thread, I thought I would ask here. Does any Lexus technician know if the mounts and especially the wiring harness is the same on the f sport and the Luxury seats? I am interested in swapping out the new (100miles) black f-sport seats for the luxury seats with the thigh bolster extenders. Will it be an easy swap or are there wiring differences.

Last edited by kitlz; 02-15-18 at 04:30 PM. Reason: wrong forum
Old 02-16-18, 05:12 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikenunb
Before starting a new thread, I thought I would ask here. Does any Lexus technician know if the mounts and especially the wiring harness is the same on the f sport and the Luxury seats? I am interested in swapping out the new (100miles) black f-sport seats for the luxury seats with the thigh bolster extenders. Will it be an easy swap or are there wiring differences.
possibly, what price are you seeing on the front seats, guessing the lux seats complete are crazy expensive.
not sure about the wiring, or if the modules are the same or not.. have to look at a wiring diagram for connectors and compare the two.
Old 02-16-18, 01:11 PM
Mikenunb
Driver School Candidate

Default Seats

I've not seen any used lux seats for sale. Judging by the individual parts prices, it would be cheaper to buy the whole car. Not yet looking to sell them outright. More interested in a trade from some lux driver that wants the snugger sport seats. See if you can find some somewhere.
Old 02-16-18, 05:31 PM
JSracer
Instructor

I've not seen any used lux seats for sale. Judging by the individual parts prices, it would be cheaper to buy the whole car. Not yet looking to sell them outright. More interested in a trade from some lux driver that wants the snugger sport seats. See if you can find some somewhere.

see if who can?? Lol. I knew I didn't want F seats so I bought my lux. I'm very happy with my choice. And I have zero desire to part with them.

Last edited by JSracer; 02-16-18 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-16-18, 06:51 PM
3ISRC
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

For me it was easy. We needed a new family car that’s comfortable during long trips especially with an upcoming baby and a three year old in the back. I decided to get the non-FSport, which my wife will drive on a daily basis and I’ll drive during our long trips. I do not need an FSport since I have an IS350 FSport. We are very happy with the purchase and cannot wait on the next trip out of town.
Old 02-17-18, 01:02 AM
Mikenunb
Driver School Candidate

Default Seats

I agree with you, mostly. I would have preferred the more comfy lux version seats. But this f-sport was the right color and had the right collection of options I was looking for. And the manager was anxious to move it. He took a dive on the price. Wound up getting it for over $4k under invoice. And that included the dealer holdback. Some day, the 4RXs will start showing up in wrecking yards. They won't be cheap but I'll have some F-sport seats to sell toward them.
Old 02-17-18, 04:25 AM
JSracer
Instructor

I agree with you, mostly. I would have preferred the more comfy lux version seats. But this f-sport was the right color and had the right collection of options I was looking for. And the manager was anxious to move it. He took a dive on the price. Wound up getting it for over $4k under invoice. And that included the dealer holdback. Some day, the 4RXs will start showing up in wrecking yards. They won't be cheap but I'll have some F-sport seats to sell toward them.
i added a response in the 17 pricing post,

Quick Reply: F-sport vs luxury