RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

F-sport vs luxury

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-15 | 05:02 PM
HTOWNE
Rookie

Originally Posted by melodyqi
From what I gathered, the RX 350's Luxury package includes the power folding rear seats. But for RX 450h, it is not part of its Luxury package. It is an option on its own. However, you have to get Luxury package in order to choose this power folding rear seat option. See the attached two sheets (US market), one is from RX350, one is from RX450h.
The RX350 luxury package does not include the power folding rear seat. It is an additional $1480.00 option.
Old 10-28-15 | 05:42 PM
winsalem
Pole Position

In the US market, RX will not have AVS (adaptive variable suspension). I think you are probably referring to the drive select mode, which RX does have. The drive select mode on RX allows you to alter the powertrain, steering, and air conditioning. What AVS does is adding the ability to change suspension. When you have AVS, the drive select mode has additional S+ mode, which will tighten suspension.
Thx Melodyqi -- very good information, which brings up a question I've been planning to ask the forum:

Is the ride quality and comfort identical on the F sport and the RX as long as the drive select mode is at the same position on both?

To put it another way, does the F sport drive and feel exactly the same as the RX, until or unless the F sport drive select mode is set to S+?

Reason for the questions: If I order an F sport just to get those hot red seats and F sport wheels, I'm trying to figure out if it will drive and feel the same as an RX luxury (as long as I don't select S+).

Salesman says the F- will ride much stiffer in any drive select mode, but admits his belief is based on his own experience driving an '15 F sport vs a '15 regular RX. I seem to remember reading or hearing in one of the driving tests that for 2016 the ride is very much the same in either model -- except when you select S+ on the F.
Old 10-28-15 | 06:35 PM
melodyqi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by winsalem
Is the ride quality and comfort identical on the F sport and the RX as long as the drive select mode is at the same position on both?

To put it another way, does the F sport drive and feel exactly the same as the RX, until or unless the F sport drive select mode is set to S+?
I am curious to that as well. I guess not many on this forum can answer that yet until they have actually test driven both. On paper, F sports has additional "sports tuned suspension" and VDIM baked in. My guess is that you won't feel much difference in Eco or Normal mode, unless If you are driving like a mad man. I could be wrong. Here is the video that explains the VDIM:

Old 10-29-15 | 10:44 AM
shadowado
Driver School Candidate

From what I gathered, the RX 350's Luxury package includes the power folding rear seats. But for RX 450h, it is not part of its Luxury package. It is an option on its own. However, you have to get Luxury package in order to choose this power folding rear seat option. See the attached two sheets (US market), one is from RX350, one is from RX450h.

Thanks Melodyqi!
Old 10-29-15 | 01:00 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by winsalem
Thx Melodyqi -- very good information, which brings up a question I've been planning to ask the forum:

Reason for the questions: If I order an F sport just to get those hot red seats and F sport wheels, I'm trying to figure out if it will drive and feel the same as an RX luxury (as long as I don't select S+).

Salesman says the F- will ride much stiffer in any drive select mode, but admits his belief is based on his own experience driving an '15 F sport vs a '15 regular RX. I seem to remember reading or hearing in one of the driving tests that for 2016 the ride is very much the same in either model -- except when you select S+ on the F.
No it doesnt.

The F-Sport rides slightly stiffer regardless of which mode you are in compared to a Luxury spec. On the up-side, the F-Sport has reduced vibrations which are really evident on the Luxury once you do back to back comparisons.

When you select S+ you will get further stiffening of the suspension setup, on top of how stiff it is already.

Mind you, the new RX F-Sport isn't as stiff as the current RX F-Sport in normal mode and becomes around the same in S+ mode. You can always customize this if need be
Old 10-29-15 | 02:08 PM
Martin321
Driver

Originally Posted by rayaans
No it doesnt.

The F-Sport rides slightly stiffer regardless of which mode you are in compared to a Luxury spec. On the up-side, the F-Sport has reduced vibrations which are really evident on the Luxury once you do back to back comparisons.

When you select S+ you will get further stiffening of the suspension setup, on top of how stiff it is already.

Mind you, the new RX F-Sport isn't as stiff as the current RX F-Sport in normal mode and becomes around the same in S+ mode. You can always customize this if need be
From the reviews they also stated that you sit a little less of an inch lower in the F sport model.
Old 10-29-15 | 02:29 PM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by shadowado
Thanks Melodyqi!
You can get the heated, power-folding rear seats in the F450h with F-Sport for $840.
Old 10-30-15 | 10:12 AM
ericsan13
Racer

In the US market, RX will not have AVS (adaptive variable suspension). I think you are probably referring to the drive select mode, which RX does have. The drive select mode on RX allows you to alter the powertrain, steering, and air conditioning. What AVS does is adding the ability to change suspension. When you have AVS, the drive select mode has additional S+ mode, which will tighten suspension.

I agree that Lexus should allow RX to have AVS as option in the US market. That would make RX a lot closer to the F sports in terms of driving dynamics (minus the sports tuned suspension and VDIM). Or better yet, have a top of the line choice of "luxury sports" like in Australia market that allows you to have F sports AND luxury package.
Can you please clarify where you heard that and what you meant?

RX F-Sport will not have AVS? Or just RX Luxury? Or all RXs in the US??
Old 10-30-15 | 11:28 AM
melodyqi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Can you please clarify where you heard that and what you meant?

RX F-Sport will not have AVS? Or just RX Luxury? Or all RXs in the US??
RX F-Sports will have AVS as standard feature regardless of regions. In US, the none F-sports models (base RX, base+premium, or base+Luxury) will not have AVS option.
Old 10-31-15 | 11:12 AM
Martin321
Driver

Will Mark Levinson sound system play Satellite radio in a good quality? I saw a video of them demonstrating how a low bit rate sounds good in ML sound system.
Old 11-02-15 | 10:14 AM
ericsan13
Racer

RX F-Sports will have AVS as standard feature regardless of regions. In US, the none F-sports models (base RX, base+premium, or base+Luxury) will not have AVS option.
Thanks, it sounded like you said AVS was not available in US at all. Whew!
Old 11-30-15 | 08:24 PM
Judged678
Driver School Candidate

Default F Sport vx. Luxury pkg

So, i'm wondering if anyone has any new insight to the differences and what most prefer.
Want to order the F Sport mainly for the "looks" grill/wheels and seats...not sure if it's worth sacrificing the comfort of the luxury package.
Anyone else having trouble deciding between the two?
Old 11-30-15 | 08:41 PM
quack724
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Judged678
So, i'm wondering if anyone has any new insight to the differences and what most prefer.
Want to order the F Sport mainly for the "looks" grill/wheels and seats...not sure if it's worth sacrificing the comfort of the luxury package.
Anyone else having trouble deciding between the two?
I am choosing F Sport (Hybrid) for the same reasons as you but I have to admit that a part of me is worried I may get remorse of not having the comfort and more "luxury" look of the lux package.
Old 11-30-15 | 11:44 PM
SoKali-RX
Driver

I test drove the Luxury and ultimately ended up getting the FSport. The ride on the Luxury was too soft for my liking. Having the stiffer suspension really makes a difference in cornering. While the luxury seats were more comfortable, the car felt numb on the road and just wasn't as fun to drive as the FSport. The sport seats on the FSport are not that great. They're less comfortable than my 3GS and it's not really made for some of us bigger folks (I'm 6'1" 205 lbs). Both are great cars and it ultimately comes down to personal preference.
Old 12-01-15 | 01:16 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

As much as I loved the look of the F Sport, there was no way I could find the options like the Luxury package which contained things that I would not give up. Very happy with my RX 350 Luxury.
The following users liked this post:
Seabone726 (04-09-20)

Quick Reply: F-sport vs luxury