RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX Best Prices So Far?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-16, 01:07 PM
Kingman99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True Mark ups???

In a dealership there is maybe only 2people who know the true mark up period! The owner and CFO period. All the other people come and go like the wind. So they are not trusted with this info.

The bigger question is how much Toyota/.lexus makes selling the vehicle to the dealership! The RX is there number 1 selling vehicle which is very profitable.
Is the RX worth what you are paying?

Lexus IS making a boat load of money on eacb RX sold. The dealership would have to close their doors if they worked on less then 15%. Do the math?

Between the cost of the dealership (building) salaries, commissions, equipment, costs of opening the doors, taxes, health care not to mention the costs of new car inventories is mind boggling.

Now divide this with how many cars are sold per year and you will come out with a better idea of their markup.
Do you know how many cars your dealership sells??
Old 01-27-16, 01:15 PM
Kingman99
Driver School Candidate

Sorry l left this out but in 2014 the average amount of new cars sold by a dealer was 921. Also keep in mind l realize some sell more and less cars.this is an average.

This helps the math that you have no clue what the true numbers are?
Old 01-27-16, 02:49 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingman99
In a dealership there is maybe only 2people who know the true mark up period! The owner and CFO period. All the other people come and go like the wind. So they are not trusted with this info.

The bigger question is how much Toyota/.lexus makes selling the vehicle to the dealership! The RX is there number 1 selling vehicle which is very profitable.
Is the RX worth what you are paying?

Lexus IS making a boat load of money on eacb RX sold. The dealership would have to close their doors if they worked on less then 15%. Do the math?

Between the cost of the dealership (building) salaries, commissions, equipment, costs of opening the doors, taxes, health care not to mention the costs of new car inventories is mind boggling.

Now divide this with how many cars are sold per year and you will come out with a better idea of their markup.
Do you know how many cars your dealership sells??
It's not a secret that the the sales department is the least profitable part of the dealership - you could almost consider it a loss leader for the rest of the operations. I've done the math having been in dealership operations for years.

They keep their doors open because of finance and service/parts. The profits from finance (called backend profit) selling warranties and aftermarket products are usually 2-3x the profit from the car itself (front end profit). They also may sell 1,000 cars a year, but they'll go through 1,000 cars a month in service easily.

Anyway, I'll bow out of this thread. Just wanted to offer some perspective on things. I think the best way to do comparisons is to make sure you list your location, MSRP, final vehicle sales price only, and regional incentives available. I typically don't like to include any rebates when quoting the sales price and prefer to list them separately. OTD prices are not helpful since tax title and license vary.

Last edited by RX_330; 01-27-16 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-27-16, 06:48 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 230 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by merle77005
The Houston Auto Show start today. I thought someone earlier in this forum said they used a free coupon from an auto show in California to get a discount. I'd like to know more about how that worked: did you first negotiate the best price and then throw the coupon on the table, or start of with the coupon?

The Houston Auto Show will cost me $24 ($12 entry, $12 parking) so I wonder if there is a way to learn in advance whether Lexus will have similar free coupons. Is that a standard thing at auto shows?
That was me. Idk if it's a standard thing at auto shows, but I don't see why it wouldn't be. You give one of the floor representatives your contact info, they email you a coupon, print it out, negotiate your price without telling them about the coupon, then bring the coupon in and give it to them right before they finish finalizing the paperwork.
Old 01-27-16, 07:23 PM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by RX_330
It's not a secret that the the sales department is the least profitable part of the dealership - you could almost consider it a loss leader for the rest of the operations. I've done the math having been in dealership operations for years.

They keep their doors open because of finance and service/parts. The profits from finance (called backend profit) selling warranties and aftermarket products are usually 2-3x the profit from the car itself (front end profit). They also may sell 1,000 cars a year, but they'll go through 1,000 cars a month in service easily.

Anyway, I'll bow out of this thread. Just wanted to offer some perspective on things. I think the best way to do comparisons is to make sure you list your location, MSRP, final vehicle sales price only, and regional incentives available. I typically don't like to include any rebates when quoting the sales price and prefer to list them separately. OTD prices are not helpful since tax title and license vary.
You're obviously not one of the two people.
Old 01-28-16, 06:12 AM
merle77005
Driver School Candidate

Thanks dchar. I really appreciate it.
Old 01-28-16, 02:31 PM
Atlx
Driver School Candidate

Dealer quoted me $23,156 one pay lease for a fully loaded rx350.msrp is $59204 and took off $4100. Dealer delivery fee is 599 state tax is 1250.50 and tax is 300. Residual value is 37300. Is 23156 a good deal, because i was thinking more like 18 to 20k.
Old 01-28-16, 03:10 PM
Kingman99
Driver School Candidate

Paying $59,000 for a Lexus IS mind boggling! It is still a Toyota! I will lease only when there is a real deal out there, presently nothing real worth while. My other two cars is cash only but those l will keep for approx 5 yrs.
But a Suv at that price unless it is a full size is nuts but again to each his own.

Now l know why Toyota is profitable!

I have only owned two Asian cars and both were excellent and very cheap to own. But l no Lexus's, or Acura's.

But the MDX and Volvo's look good now.

As l said l have a bunch of rx' s in my community, it seems to be the best suv all around but l am sure nobody spent more then $43,000. At that price l would snap one up as a third vehicle.

This is my two cents.
Old 01-28-16, 03:46 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Paying $59,000 for a Lexus IS mind boggling! It is still a Toyota! I will lease only when there is a real deal out there, presently nothing real worth while. My other two cars is cash only but those l will keep for approx 5 yrs.
But a Suv at that price unless it is a full size is nuts but again to each his own.

I have only owned two Asian cars and both were excellent and very cheap to own. But l no Lexus's, or Acura's.

As l said l have a bunch of rx' s in my community, it seems to be the best suv all around but l am sure nobody spent more then $43,000. At that price l would snap one up as a third vehicle.

This is my two cents.
Haha one word; piece of mind. With that mindset, I`m guessing you probably could only be driving a Volvo or Mercedes, cause the bad news is that a Porsche or Audi is an overpriced VW, an Acura is an overpriced Honda, Infiniti overpriced Nissan etc etc.

In regards to the Acura MDX, oh boy.Although on paper its great value,; 7 seater quicker, more cogs, two screens for infotainment, Honda product and reliability. I would do two things; 1) Test drive one and then test drive the RX. Tell me how amazing the laggy infotainment, the misaligned body panels (visibly misaligned), cheap plastics, and VERY VERY Poorly engineered ZF 9 -speed is. That thing is cheap price wise, but likewise its also is poorly made. 2) If you believe the above is biased, I`d pick up some forum times lol. The tranmission problems thread is 13 + pages long. So much for being a value luxury item.

In the regards to the Volvo, I personally love the design and the idealogy behind the design. It has alot of practical space, and their committment to safety and advanced autonomous design is amazing. However check the forums out, the nightmare which is the XC90 is crazy. The sunroof leaks, and apparently the engineers told one person they know of the problem, they can offer a buyout, but they can gurantee that the new vehicle will also leak. When the guy posted his experiences, Volvo retracted their original buyout offer and fixed his car a 2nd time and said its fixed. LOL Customer Service at its best. The software updates are super glitchy, some promised features on the expensive reserve only 1st editions have yet to be brought to the car

The reason people purchase a Lexus is reliability and as promised experienced. Your vehicle will spend more time on the road with you behind the wheel rather then parked in the dealer service bay awaiting a software update that may or may not break it. The quality control off the line is amazing and it holds its value darn well.

I and the market agree that if the RX is probably the best luxury vehicle one can actually buy and use, but then again its just a Toyota right lol
Old 01-29-16, 04:14 AM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

This is my two cents.
You do know these are luxury cars right?
Lincolns cost more than Fords and Cadillacs cost more than Chevys.
If you don't want to pay for the luxury bits then there are so many other options out there.
But for those that can afford to these are great choices.
Old 01-29-16, 04:16 AM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

While the quality of this video is crappy maybe this will show you that these are a bit more than your average Toyota.

Old 01-29-16, 11:11 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 230 Likes on 181 Posts

This is my two cents.
If that's what you think a Lexus is, then you are just ignorant about cars. You probably haven't driven a Lexus recently. There are plenty of non full-size SUVs that cost significantly more than $59K and you get similar or less features than the RX (Mercedes GLC and GLE, BMW X3 and X5, Audi Q5 and Q7, etc.).

If you think the RX is just a fancy Toyota, then you'll be very disappointed in the MDX. Acura is a sub-luxury brand that are exact copies of Honda. It is difficult to see any Toyota in any Lexus models.
Old 01-29-16, 05:53 PM
kangols
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by captjeff1
Nada.com gives you MSRP and Dealer Invoice
Cars.com is the search engine to locate the exact car/colors and features
Many dealers in Southern California now will sell at invoice, mine did!
Hi CaptJeff1,

Where dealer did you get the invoice price for your 2016 RX350? I am in SoCal and planning to get the RX350. Thanks.
Old 01-29-16, 08:23 PM
Kingman99
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dchar
If that's what you think a Lexus is, then you are just ignorant about cars. You probably haven't driven a Lexus recently. There are plenty of non full-size SUVs that cost significantly more than $59K and you get similar or less features than the RX (Mercedes GLC and GLE, BMW X3 and X5, Audi Q5 and Q7, etc.).

If you think the RX is just a fancy Toyota, then you'll be very disappointed in the MDX. Acura is a sub-luxury brand that are exact copies of Honda. It is difficult to see any Toyota in any Lexus models.

I will test drive the new RX but keep in mind that this is not my primary go to vehicle. I am open minded.

I will also try the Porsche and Range Rover. I will lease not buy so l can care less about having problems.

As far as being ignorant that comment does not worth a rebuttal. And as far as calling a RX a luxury vehicle is a stretch, but l am not here to argue, l am just trying to find out why the RX costs so much!
Old 01-29-16, 08:49 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

I will test drive the new RX but keep in mind that this is not my primary go to vehicle. I am open minded.

I will also try the Porsche and Range Rover. I will lease not buy so l can care less about having problems.

As far as being ignorant that comment does not worth a rebuttal. And as far as calling a RX a luxury vehicle is a stretch, but l am not here to argue, l am just trying to find out why the RX costs so much!
But gosh, if you drove an overpriced VW tourag, I meant porsche

Anyways Imma help you out here, if your into frugal leasing or value based leasing, forgot the top end of the vehicles cause they have enough traffic going their way to care less about giving awesome deals. Forget Lexus since their lease deals are basically the same as audi, their residuals stink. If I were you I`d go BMW and maybe MB (when the model they are trying to sell does not get any traction aka the current outgoing pre-facelift E class). Those things lease like no other. Especially during the summer and end of year deals. BMWs are fun to drive, but If you are need of a drivers car you gots to check off all the dampers options asap on the X5. You are gonna land north of a luxury GX but well worth it if you want a true drivers cuv.

Quick Reply: 2016 RX Best Prices So Far?