RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Got to spend a little time with a 4RX today...

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-16 | 06:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Default Had a 4RX loaner today, my thoughts.

Dropped my LS off for the 15k service today, if I'm going to pay the dealer $100 to rotate tires I always try and get a different loaner to try something out. Spotted a nice pearl white 4RX in the lot and requested that.

It was a eminent white pearl with noble brown interior and the matte linear mocha wood. This interior did NOT have the wood leather steering wheel, which looking online and from what I've seen here seems unusual. Car had the premium package, 12.3" navigation, base audio, moonroof, safety system with AFL.

Overall, I was very impressed with the vehicle. I drove it quite a bit, hauled some other folks around in it, all in all really got to put it through its paces. HUGE upgrade from the 3RX.

First, lets get what I didn't like out of the way:

1. Don't like the fact that the nav screen just sits up on the dash. I understand the point of it, appreciate the visibility, but its a styling theme I just don't care for.

2. While the interior is generally good quality, there are still some material quality issues that are unfortunate, mainly the dash below the driver's side air vent and around the engine start button, but some of the plastics such as the top of the doors while relatively soft touch have a sheen that doesn't look very upscale. The material the radio face is made of could be more special looking, metal perhaps, and the analog clock looks plastic. All in all, overall I still think the BMW X5 and the Mercedes GLE for instance still feel more upscale and more "special" inside. However, this interior is a tremendous upgrade from the 3RX. It would not stop me from purchasing one.

3. Styling is still a question for me. I think it looks better in darker colors. Outside all the matte plastic trim should be gloss black like it is on higher end Lexus vehicles, the inner parts of the mirrors, etc.

4. The noble brown interior has a lot of different colors going on, too many IMHO. The choice of red stitching is quite interesting.

5. Needs the bigger wheels. Real bad. The 18s don't do the vehicle any favors.

6. Gauges feel low end. I wish Lexus would go back to the tinted lens gauges that go totally to black when they're off. These new gauge clusters really don't do it for me.

Now on to what I like. This is a much more important list.

1. Ride and drive. This vehicle rides really, really well. Even after getting out of my LS which is an incredibly well riding car the ride is soft and supple, quiet, very little wind noise. Big plus here over something like an X5, which is also smooth and quiet but not to the same level of the RX. It still manages though to be fun to drive, driving smaller than it is which is a trait of newer Lexus platforms. I'm sure the car with AVS is even better. I'd be interested to see how the 20s affect the ride.

2. Feature set. The car I was in stickered right at $50k. I had radar cruise, lane keep assist, AFS, brake hold which is a feature I really like from the LS, 3 position driver memory. Base audio sounded good, auto parking brake. Power folding mirrors. Well equipped.

3. Great seats. Thought the front seats were excellent. Comfortable, supportive without being restricting, Excellent 4 way lumbar.

4. I like the new navigation. My GS had and my LS has the 12.3" screen, but this was my first experience with the new fully widescreen navigation. I didn't think I would care but I liked the widescreen nav a lot.

5. Engine. Very peppy, smooth and refined. Its not a barn burner, but for the sort of vehicle it is you don't need anything more than this. Never felt like it struggled or strained.

6. Rear seats. I've always said the RX has a great rear seat. Plenty of room, good adjustments.

7. Love the new steering wheel. Great, thick leather material, excellent controls and attractive.

Overall I was really impressed with the vehicle. Styling I'm still on the fence, but the overall package is a winner.
Old 04-12-16 | 05:34 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

^^ Great review, and I agree with you comments in regards to the styling and wheels.

If we buy one I think we would have to purchase one in a darker color because IMO it tones it down a little, if that makes sense. And as far as the wheels go, the smaller wheels look lost on it IMO. If we buy one it will be an F Sport anyway so it will come with the bigger wheels.
Old 04-12-16 | 05:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah the creases and all blend in better with a darker color, especially in the rear.
Old 04-12-16 | 07:07 AM
sirtiger
Pit Crew

thanks for your review!

Interesting you got a white with brown loaner. I believe there is starting to be a shortage of the white exterior RX

I agree, the 20s really makes it and I love looking at it. I love it darker colors too which is why I picked the dark blue
Old 04-12-16 | 03:39 PM
siwel
Driver School Candidate

Sport package solves some of those issues - bigger wheels, better sound system, pano roof, etc. I love mine.
Old 04-13-16 | 06:29 AM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Thanks for the review, SW15LS! I get my '16 Rx450h next week - has everything except F-Sport. Now I'm even more excited to trade my '13 Rxh.