RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Pano roof and roof cross bars (merged threads)?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-16, 03:25 PM
SFocLA
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Not to beat a dead horse but here are pics of my pano roof off of my Q5.

You can note
1. q5 pano roof is not as wide as the rx
2. q5 pano roof sits parallel
3. RX design failed

2016 RX Pano Roof

2015 Audi Q5 Pano Roof

Q5

RX

Q5
Old 01-21-16, 06:05 PM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by SFocLA
Not to beat a dead horse but here are pics of my pano roof off of my Q5.

You can note
1. q5 pano roof is not as wide as the rx
2. q5 pano roof sits parallel
3. RX design failed

2016 RX Pano Roof

2015 Audi Q5 Pano Roof

Q5

RX

Q5
I agree that there should have been a better design for the RX, but I also have to admit that that roof rack on the Q5 is hideous.
Old 01-21-16, 09:07 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Bearcat
I agree that there should have been a better design for the RX, but I also have to admit that that roof rack on the Q5 is hideous.
Is their a reason why the crossbars on the RXs roof racks are so darn tall. It seems like they designed that to be quite tall
Old 01-22-16, 08:10 AM
SFocLA
Driver

Originally Posted by Bearcat
Hideous? I would say they arent the best looking however most crossbars for pano roofs arent much different looking. They all sit up super high and perform a simple function.

The audi cross bars from the factory imo are brilliantly designed you can remove and install within 5 minutes.
Old 01-22-16, 04:23 PM
JPoe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 RX450h

I ordered my 2016 with pano roof option. Also found at the time of ordering that crossbars weren't accepted by their computer system. We ordered separate crossbars. Just visited the dealer a week ago to check on my order (which arrives here last week in Feb). THEY just discovered why the cross bar option wasn't allowed and had one of a similar vehicle on the floor. It seems the engineers at Lexus stated with both "moon" roofs, the structural integrity of the roof wouldn't allow for the load bearing. Soooo, the "rails" as you can see up closely, are more decorative than functional. Instead of being elevated above the roof line, they follow directly on top of it.

I'm waiting until delivery to look at some after market options that are available out there.
Certainly, not a deal breaker for a wonderfully built car, but a real head scratcher.

Somehow have to put my Thule carrier on the roof of my Porsche Boxster S convertible. Now THAT'S a problem.
Old 01-22-16, 04:33 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by JPoe
I ordered my 2016 with pano roof option. Also found at the time of ordering that crossbars weren't accepted by their computer system. We ordered separate crossbars. Just visited the dealer a week ago to check on my order (which arrives here last week in Feb). THEY just discovered why the cross bar option wasn't allowed and had one of a similar vehicle on the floor. It seems the engineers at Lexus stated with both "moon" roofs, the structural integrity of the roof wouldn't allow for the load bearing. Soooo, the "rails" as you can see up closely, are more decorative than functional. Instead of being elevated above the roof line, they follow directly on top of it.

I'm waiting until delivery to look at some after market options that are available out there.
Certainly, not a deal breaker for a wonderfully built car, but a real head scratcher.

Somehow have to put my Thule carrier on the roof of my Porsche Boxster S convertible. Now THAT'S a problem.
so basically Lexus engineers made a one of pano roof design to make sure they are behind the class. Why?

Unless this roof is impervious to water leaks thanks to the design, I dont see the logic behind it.
Old 01-22-16, 04:57 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by JPoe

Want to see a Thule Cargo box on your Porsche......
Old 01-27-16, 05:34 PM
RobBlack
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CaliTravel
Your salesman is incorrect. I drove one today with crossbars and the pano roof. They designed the bars to be way up high (and quite ugly...but functional). The crossbars give the sunroof plenty of clearance when opening and closing.
So im confused

Any updates? I think what we really need is a pic of a pano roof with the bars!
Old 01-27-16, 05:48 PM
SFocLA
Driver

Originally Posted by RobBlack
So im confused

Any updates? I think what we really need is a pic of a pano roof with the bars!
99% sure that guy mistaken saw a pano roof with crossbars.

bottom line - pano roof will not have a cross bar option.

I also received an email from lexus asking for feedback in a detailed survey, I made sure to rip them on their poor roof design.

F sport AWD I thought I could cruise up to tahoe and mammoth with ski racks or cargo box, but no apparently not!
Old 01-27-16, 05:54 PM
RobBlack
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SFocLA
99% sure that guy mistaken saw a pano roof with crossbars.

bottom line - pano roof will not have a cross bar option.

I also received an email from lexus asking for feedback in a detailed survey, I made sure to rip them on their poor roof design.

F sport AWD I thought I could cruise up to tahoe and mammoth with ski racks or cargo box, but no apparently not!

Will it even bolt up? Im ok with not using the roof with crossbars installed....
Old 01-27-16, 06:21 PM
magpullin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RobBlack
Will it even bolt up? Im ok with not using the roof with crossbars installed....
Yeah this ^^
Are these not the same rails on every RX??
Why can't racks be installed? If you don't open the pano when you have something on top
of the car, what's the issue??
Old 01-27-16, 06:23 PM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by magpullin
Yeah this ^^
Are these not the same rails on every RX??
Why can't racks be installed? If you don't open the pano when you have something on top
of the car, what's the issue??
Because people are stupid and they will open it anyway.
Old 01-27-16, 08:05 PM
RobBlack
Driver School Candidate

Ok so just to be clear,

They will install but will potentially interfere if the pano is used?

Or

They simply wont fit, due to width or rail design associated with pano roof?

Old 01-27-16, 09:09 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

The rails on cars equipped with the pano roof don't have the mounting holes/indentations to mount the cross bars on. I have the standard moonroof and See the pairs of holes going along the inside of the railing? Pano roof don't have those holes...

Old 01-30-16, 10:12 AM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

This is correct.
Here is the picture of the rails on a pano roof.
No holes.

The rails are different.
Now if the rails can be swapped then the cross bars will work but you won't be able to open the pano roof.

Quick Reply: Pano roof and roof cross bars (merged threads)?