RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Disappointed new RX

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-15 | 09:19 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Martin321
You do realize you are comparing SAV in X5 to a Luxury RX. BMW forum members does not even think RX is in their own league, MDX is not even mentioned. BMW X5 competes against Landrover and Porche Macan type of cars.
where in my post was i comparing an X5 to RX? i was referring to the fanboyism on all car forums about how they think their car brand is better than others
Old 11-11-15 | 10:45 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by BrownPride
I'm a self-admitted BMW guy and I'll confirm this as well. The Lexus RX is not even viewed in the same league as the X5 because frankly it isn't. Aside from say long-term reliability and cost of ownership, the X5 is superior to the RX in every way. And yes I am talking about the new RX which is just hitting dealers. I would even go as far as saying the facelifted E70 X5s (~ 2011 - 2014) are better in every way than this new RX.

As far as OP's claims about the Acura MDX being better, I don't buy that one bit. All Acura interiors are just slightly upgraded Hondas. I was just at an Acura dealership last month and spent some time with all their cars so I'm not kidding. Acura has found their own niche of customers: people who want Japanese reliability and a lot of value. I'm sure the MDX and RX are cross-shopped often, but there is no question that the RX is more luxurious, has better tech, and is more prestigious. Sure, it is no BMW, but it's leaps and bounds above the MDX.
The keyword here is cost. With an MSRP of ~10k higher (per TrueCar), the X5 is in a different price league. Most would expect the more expensive car to be better than the less expensive car.

But if the X5 is "better", then how come the RX easily doubles the sales of X5 (and nearly double that of the MDX) in the US? When it comes down to it , US buyers voted with their wallets that the RX is "better". Few people will choose the 'better' car if it is overpriced and needs more repairs.

To say X5 is better "in every way" is a gross overstatement. We should be more specific about what makes the X5 better. It certainly is much faster!
Old 11-11-15 | 11:27 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ericsan13
The keyword here is cost. With an MSRP of ~10k higher (per TrueCar), the X5 is in a different price league. Most would expect the more expensive car to be better than the less expensive car.

But if the X5 is "better", then how come the RX easily doubles the sales of X5 (and nearly double that of the MDX) in the US? When it comes down to it , US buyers voted with their wallets that the RX is "better". Few people will choose the 'better' car if it is overpriced and needs more repairs.

To say X5 is better "in every way" is a gross overstatement. We should be more specific about what makes the X5 better. It certainly is much faster!
Its all relative. The X5 is more money, thats true, but people are definitely cross shopping the two. The X5 starts about where the non hybrid RX tops out. But the X5 base is actually pretty well equipped.

As far as sales go, the reason the RX sells so well is because its a very accessible, very well priced vehicle with Lexus' reputation for quality, reliability and class. Its a good package, and it appeals to that wide margin of non-enthusiast buyers who want reliable, classy, and luxurious without breaking the bank. BUT, from the standpoint of an enthusiast the car has never really been compelling. It does everything incredibly competently...but nothing specifically really well...if that makes any sense.

Just because something sells more doesn't mean its the best, it means its the most appealing to the mainstream, the common denominator. An enthusiast is not the common denominator. Take the Camry for instance...best selling but its the least appealing car in the segment IMHO. Vanilla ice cream is the most popular...but is it the best? Like the RX, its always competent...but excels at nothing...enthusiasts like vehicles that excel in areas even if there are tradeoffs in other areas.

What Lexus clearly wants is to appeal to or create enthusiasts for their brand as well. Thats why you see this shift in their style direction and the dynamism of their cars.

As to why the X5 is superior to me:

1. Its RWD. That can't be stressed enough, the RX's Toyota derived economy FWD platform to me is its weakest attribute. The X5 is a better platform for both luxurious and spirited driving. Much more premium.

2. Stylingwise I think its a better looking car in the right trim, and that includes the 4RX. In the luxury or X line trim, I think the X5 is very sharp.

3. Interior. The interior of the X5 is on another level, especially in upper trims. Incredible quality nappa leather, real stitched leather dash (the RX's leather dash is synthetic). More wood, better seats (multi-contour).

4. Performance. The X5 handles better (I have not driven the 4RX, but based on what I've seen theres no reason to expect it to be a huge difference in drive from the 3RX), with the right suspension setup it rides better, its a very solid, well built vehicle. The RX is too, but it feels downmarket from the X5 mainly because of its drivetrain layout.

To me all in all the X5 is a more interesting vehicle, and while I like the look of the new RX and the interior I think the X5 is still a more rewarding vehicle for an enthusiast that appreciates the benefits of what it has to offer.

With that said, this RX will sell really well. For someone who wants a reasonably priced, luxurious crossover to drive to work and to the country club and on trips and doesn't really worry about it either being a great all terrain vehicle or a great road vehicle the RX is a great choice, especially if you're going to keep it a long time.
Old 11-11-15 | 04:22 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Its all relative. The X5 is more money, thats true, but people are definitely cross shopping the two. The X5 starts about where the non hybrid RX tops out. But the X5 base is actually pretty well equipped.

As far as sales go, the reason the RX sells so well is because its a very accessible, very well priced vehicle with Lexus' reputation for quality, reliability and class. Its a good package, and it appeals to that wide margin of non-enthusiast buyers who want reliable, classy, and luxurious without breaking the bank. BUT, from the standpoint of an enthusiast the car has never really been compelling. It does everything incredibly competently...but nothing specifically really well...if that makes any sense.

Just because something sells more doesn't mean its the best, it means its the most appealing to the mainstream, the common denominator. An enthusiast is not the common denominator. Take the Camry for instance...best selling but its the least appealing car in the segment IMHO. Vanilla ice cream is the most popular...but is it the best? Like the RX, its always competent...but excels at nothing...enthusiasts like vehicles that excel in areas even if there are tradeoffs in other areas.

What Lexus clearly wants is to appeal to or create enthusiasts for their brand as well. Thats why you see this shift in their style direction and the dynamism of their cars.

1. Its RWD. That can't be stressed enough, the RX's Toyota derived economy FWD platform to me is its weakest attribute. The X5 is a better platform for both luxurious and spirited driving. Much more premium.

2. Stylingwise I think its a better looking car in the right trim, and that includes the 4RX. In the luxury or X line trim, I think the X5 is very sharp.

3. Interior. The interior of the X5 is on another level, especially in upper trims. Incredible quality nappa leather, real stitched leather dash (the RX's leather dash is synthetic). More wood, better seats (multi-contour).

4. Performance. The X5 handles better (I have not driven the 4RX, but based on what I've seen theres no reason to expect it to be a huge difference in drive from the 3RX), with the right suspension setup it rides better, its a very solid, well built vehicle. The RX is too, but it feels downmarket from the X5 mainly because of its drivetrain layout.

To me all in all the X5 is a more interesting vehicle, and while I like the look of the new RX and the interior I think the X5 is still a more rewarding vehicle for an enthusiast that appreciates the benefits of what it has to offer.

With that said, this RX will sell really well. For someone who wants a reasonably priced, luxurious crossover to drive to work and to the country club and on trips and doesn't really worry about it either being a great all terrain vehicle or a great road vehicle the RX is a great choice, especially if you're going to keep it a long time.
My statement wasn't about which one was more appealing or the best. I was also saying that better is relative however sales is a very good indicator of what is 'better'. I am pretty sure a lot of people cross-shopped RX and X5 before making their decision.

Anyway I am cross shopping between them as well and here is what I'm looking at in terms of RX and X5 packages/options for comparison:

$55,645 2016 RX450h F SPORT
$800 Panoramic View Monitor and Blind Spot Monitor W/RCTA
$600 Color HUD
$2,250 Lexus Safety System+ with Premium Triple-Beam LED headlamps
$200 Touch-free Power Rear Door
$500 Panorama Moonroof
$1,510 12.3" display Navigation + Mark Levinson 15-speaker Sound System
$200 F SPORT Heated Steering Wheel
OPTIONS $6,060
TOTAL $61,705

The base X5 is missing a lot of options, but I think a good starting point is kwc_diesel's well equipped 2016 X5 xDrive35i for $60k (inlc. 10% discount) with the following options:
$2,550 Premium Package
$1,100 Luxury Line (includes choice of Satin Aluminum Roof Rails or Gloss Black Shadow Rails, you must specify this when ordering) 19" standard rims
$1,400 Driver Assistance Package
$1,700 Driver Assistance Plus
$500 Comfort Rear Seats
$250 Rear Manual Sunshades
$1,300 Harman Kardon Surround Sound
$550 Cold Weather Package
Here's what each one is missing:
-X5 missing 20" rims, a $950 option
-X5 missing multi contour seats & ventilated seats, a $1,350 package
-X5 Nappa Leather is a $1,950 package
-X5 lacks fuel economy =P
-RX missing heated rear seats, $840 package (but includes power rear seats)
-RX missing headlamp washers
-RX missing rear window shades
-RX lacks speed, RWD-bias =P
So the X5 can be further optioned out more than the RX, which is why some people will argue it to be the "best", but that means more money.

"Good at everything" versus "great at some things, poor at others" is a very subjective comparison. However on average, the RX appears to be the proven winner by sales. Anyway hopefully my shopping/rambling process helps...
Old 11-11-15 | 06:52 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Originally Posted by ericsan13
My statement wasn't about which one was more appealing or the best. I was also saying that better is relative however sales is a very good indicator of what is 'better'. I am pretty sure a lot of people cross-shopped RX and X5 before making their decision.

Anyway I am cross shopping between them as well and here is what I'm looking at in terms of RX and X5 packages/options for comparison:

$55,645 2016 RX450h F SPORT
$800 Panoramic View Monitor and Blind Spot Monitor W/RCTA
$600 Color HUD
$2,250 Lexus Safety System+ with Premium Triple-Beam LED headlamps
$200 Touch-free Power Rear Door
$500 Panorama Moonroof
$1,510 12.3" display Navigation + Mark Levinson 15-speaker Sound System
$200 F SPORT Heated Steering Wheel
OPTIONS $6,060
TOTAL $61,705

The base X5 is missing a lot of options, but I think a good starting point is kwc_diesel's well equipped 2016 X5 xDrive35i for $60k (inlc. 10% discount) with the following options:
$2,550 Premium Package
$1,100 Luxury Line (includes choice of Satin Aluminum Roof Rails or Gloss Black Shadow Rails, you must specify this when ordering) 19" standard rims
$1,400 Driver Assistance Package
$1,700 Driver Assistance Plus
$500 Comfort Rear Seats
$250 Rear Manual Sunshades
$1,300 Harman Kardon Surround Sound
$550 Cold Weather Package
Here's what each one is missing:
-X5 missing 20" rims, a $950 option
-X5 missing multi contour seats & ventilated seats, a $1,350 package
-X5 Nappa Leather is a $1,950 package
-X5 lacks fuel economy =P
-RX missing heated rear seats, $840 package (but includes power rear seats)
-RX missing headlamp washers
-RX missing rear window shades
-RX lacks speed, RWD-bias =P
So the X5 can be further optioned out more than the RX, which is why some people will argue it to be the "best", but that means more money.

"Good at everything" versus "great at some things, poor at others" is a very subjective comparison. However on average, the RX appears to be the proven winner by sales. Anyway hopefully my shopping/rambling process helps...
So you are comparing an RX Hybrid Fsport to a X5 Luxury line trim diesel? Yeeeaaah make alot of sense?

First of all Hybrid should not be compared to a diesel, two totally different engines. You need to compare a RX Luxury package to the X5 Luxury line instead of the fsport. Or better yet compare the fsport to the M sport. What you use to compare does not really make any sense. Fsport, if fully loaded is still not as loaded as a RX 350 Luxury package so this alone is not fair comparison.
Old 11-11-15 | 07:41 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

1. I love RWD vehicles and hope to never own a FWD vehicle ever again. But after driving the new RX350 F-Sport, I could actually see myself in that vehicle.
2. Styling is subjective. I happen to like the X5 looks very much. But the RX is very sharp and does not take a back seat to any vehicle.
3. I give the interior look and quality nod to the RX. It's just a marvelous cabin.
4. When I drove the RX Fsport around the track I couldn't believe it. I was going through the slalom like I was driving a car.

Say what you want but I believe we will take many X5 owners away from BMW. No joke. Don't believe me, drive the vehicle.
Old 11-11-15 | 08:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I will certainly drive it with an open mind, but physics are physics...
Old 11-11-15 | 08:23 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
So you are comparing an RX Hybrid Fsport to a X5 Luxury line trim diesel? Yeeeaaah make alot of sense?

First of all Hybrid should not be compared to a diesel, two totally different engines. You need to compare a RX Luxury package to the X5 Luxury line instead of the fsport. Or better yet compare the fsport to the M sport. What you use to compare does not really make any sense. Fsport, if fully loaded is still not as loaded as a RX 350 Luxury package so this alone is not fair comparison.
Whoops, I think you must've skimmed it too fast as I'm not comparing to a diesel X5...
Old 11-11-15 | 11:11 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Don't worry OP, Lexus will gladly trade your bean for 10 younger, hipper, sexier beans. Lol
Old 11-12-15 | 05:34 AM
SkinsFan
Driver School Candidate

People are definitely cross shopping the X5 and the RX. I know for a fact since I was doing the same I believe there ARE some comparisons between the two and if you are in the market for an SUV you should do the diligence to look into both. When I priced out a new RX it was coming to ~$55-58K. When I was looking at BMW 2015 CPO's, it was coming to around mid 50's (I know one is used and one is factory order but just pointing out a year old X5 is comparable in price).

In the end I ended up choosing a CPO X5 for less than $50K. Why? With the 2016 X5's now coming out you can get a bit better deal and frankly, I just could not get over the exterior of the RX. I really wanted to like it but with me spending this much money, I truly had to enjoy getting into the car every day and feel good driving it. I wish the overhang just wasn't as exaggerated.

Hopefully I will have the reliability of the RX as I like to keep my cars a long time. This is a BIG plus in my book for Lexus as my wife has one and it is a great car. I wish the RX just wasn't as polarizing as it is. I know it will sell well but just not a good fit for me personally.

In the meantime I will enjoy my multi contour seats, a third-row seat (albeit only for 10-12 year olds). Didn't get the leather dash but you can't have it all!
Old 11-12-15 | 06:31 AM
kwc_diesel
Driver School Candidate

I totally agree, and in my case, I voted with my wallet for the X5. Given the timing of needing an AWD before this winter snow starts, pricing also made more sense for us, since 4RX basically costs MSRP at launch now. This would be a great choice for us once discounts off MSRP are available in a few years. We cross shopped these vehicles in addition to the '16 MDX and MB GLC (delayed to Dec). The current F15 X5 xDrive 35i is in the 3rd year of production (teething issues resolved), and the 4 years free ultimate maintenance (includes brake pads) helped our decision . But when this warranty concludes, we for sure are considering 4RX, GLC, or next gen X3 and by then some discounts!

I didn't know that the RX dash was synthetic leather.... for luxury package, I really want wood panels on the dash. Also, does it have led puddle lights front & rear door handles?
Old 11-12-15 | 08:16 AM
ES300HTX
Driver School Candidate

Default Cross Shopping 17 Audi Q7 Prestige with RX 350 AWD Luxury Loaded

They just released pricing on the new Q7 and I must say for the price with its feature and technology may sway me from purchasing the RX. The only concern I have is reliability, even with warranty I do not want to visit the dealership every other month. Anyone have recent experience with Audi's reliability? Meaning model years 2010+, I know in prior years the early 2000's model had many issues and was rated higher than BMW in reliability, but lower than MB. Recently I am reading in reviews that Audi is the most reliable out of the three. Looking for opinions of owners of recent Audi models. 2010+

-Thanks
Old 11-12-15 | 09:32 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ES300HTX
They just released pricing on the new Q7 and I must say for the price with its feature and technology may sway me from purchasing the RX. The only concern I have is reliability, even with warranty I do not want to visit the dealership every other month. Anyone have recent experience with Audi's reliability? Meaning model years 2010+, I know in prior years the early 2000's model had many issues and was rated higher than BMW in reliability, but lower than MB. Recently I am reading in reviews that Audi is the most reliable out of the three. Looking for opinions of owners of recent Audi models. 2010+

-Thanks
Well we have our 2010 Audi A4 2.0t and it's been a huge headache outside of warranty repairs. We are going to get rid of it this weekend and replace it with another Lexus. It has about 130K miles and many major issues have come up. This car has had major oil consumption issues that the dealer can't resolve (1 quart every 500 miles), A/C unit went out and had to be replaced, multiple gas caps had to be replaced due to leaks in seal, and now it has a major oil leak where it literally dumping a puddle of oil as you drive. We have put thousands of dollars into keeping this thing running, but enough is enough. Not to mention, Audi service department is nowhere as nice as Lexus.

Would we ever buy another Audi...no. Saying they are the most reliable out of the German brands is like saying a person has the best of the cancers. Might consider leasing them in the future if they have a car I really like, but even then...maybe not since their payments are quite high and still not a fan of their service departments who never seem to have enough loaners. Like my uncle (BMW fan) says, "You only lease the Germans and never buy. Let the next chump take the hit."

Last edited by dchar; 11-12-15 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-12-15 | 09:51 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ES300HTX

-Thanks
We have a '13 Audi Q5 that was three years old this week and so far zero issues, just routine maintenance (oil changes, tire rotations etc.). It looks like Audi's reliability is on the upswing. Not at Lexus levels, but headed in thee right direction. I don't keep any car much beyond the factory warranty period, Lexus included, so I can't speak to the longer term reliability.
Old 11-12-15 | 10:29 AM
cec327
Pit Crew

Interesting discussion about MDX vs RX. Checked out the prices and sure enough the MDX was less expensive for comparably equipped RX.. I suppose if I was interested in price the Murano would be considered. Less expensive than the other two. However, I had to ask myself why buy a new vehicle when I have a 2013 Rx FWD with the F Sport front and 19 wheels( And some other accessories that I like on the exterior) It only has 15K miles. Personally , I love the 2016 RX and am seriously thinking of getting it. The MDX is very nice but the only reason I would consider selling the RX would be to buy the new one. I guess the old adage about beauty and the beholder holds true. My wife, of course, thinks that I have a mental problem even thinking about the new RX.

Quick Reply: Disappointed new RX