RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

initial impression of 16 rx f sport

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-15, 03:52 PM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I totally agree. I just hate to wait 4-6 months for mine but at least I can get all the bells and whistles that way.
Old 11-10-15, 06:44 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Although I never considered the 3G RX boring it just didn't do it for me, it wouldn't have prevented me from buying one, but my wife never really liked it that much. And since the RX is her primary vehicle it's her call.

But when she saw the RX F-Sport last year it totally changed her mind. She loves the way F-Sport looks and we both don't consider it boring at all.

As far as the 4G RX goes, in photos she's not too sure if she likes it yet and said she won't know until she sees an F-Sport in person. I'm glad we have plenty of time before we will be in the market to replace the RX.

Last edited by JT4; 11-10-15 at 06:51 AM.
Old 11-10-15, 07:27 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,966 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronn1
I think it's great that you are getting a new RX, but please don't bash the 3rd generation.
I think one thing you 3RX owners are going to have to get used to is something that every owner of the previous generation model has to get used to...which is that this is the 4RX forum, not the 3RX forum. People here are fans of and are going to be owners of the 4RX, and in general sentiment here is going to be, and should be, more positive about the 4RX than the 3RX...

If you want to talk with folks who prefer the 3RX, theres a great 3RX forum, but reacting to every post that says something that is negative about the 3RX vs the 4RX here in this forum isn't appropriate.
Old 11-10-15, 09:54 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronn1
I think it's great that you are getting a new RX, but please don't bash the 3rd generation. I am in my 50's, I don't consider that old. There are plenty of folks and young families that have a 3rd generation RX. It is still a Lexus, a luxury brand that fits the needs of many people. For me, it's not about soccer moms are old people, it was the right size, and has good looks. The interior of the 4th generation is great, but I don't think the 3rd generation looks that bad either, and the finish is still better than most. I really dislike when people put an age to anything in comparison. There are "young" older folks that still like "young things" to buy and have. If you look around, there are plenty of all ages driving the 3rd generation RX's...they are everywhere, so let's look at it this way. It is a Lexus, it is popular, and will continue to be. There are plenty of "young " folks that I have seen post that they don't care for the new RX as much as the old one, so let's not make it an age thing. It is a personal thing which people have the option to like or dislike. I don't judge anyone who may like or dislike any model. We all like different things. I like some areas of the new RX, but I still enjoy mine.
This is whats wrong with forums. You get people that can't handle any form of criticism without crying foul.

Don't bash the 3rd gen? Will someone insulting your car hurt you personally? Like, does it make you have lower self esteem toward your car? Does this offend you?

Grow up. You bought a car, and like EVERY car, it will eventually become outdated. People will discuss what they hated about the previous generation, and move on.

I am actually have a hard time coming up with a "PG" rated response without laughing.... Go to the 3rd gen forum if you wanna be "protective" of your purchase.
Old 11-10-15, 10:53 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Its a consistent problem here on CL and on other car forums. When a new model comes out the subform for that model is inundated by people who own the previous version talking about how much better their car is, how they prefer the old styling, etc. It gets old...and it dampens enthusiasm for the new model. In the 3IS forum it got so bad that any post about a positive review or anything like that degraded into a flamewar...it was like posting on a BMW forum or something. They had to ban specific posters from that subforum, I know the same has happened in the 4LS forum where 3LS owners come in and constantly berate the new car and post about how theirs is better, etc, several habitual offenders were banned from the forum.

Its always funny when down the line you see those same people driving the new model lol

People will always seek to justify their own purchase, and their inability or desire to spend to upgrade. Issue comes when it limits the owners of the new model from being able to enjoy discussing their cars...that isn't fair.
Old 11-10-15, 11:19 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Its a consistent problem here on CL and on other car forums. .
Wow...apparently I'm behind then...I better start getting on the forums and insulting the 6th gen Camaro. I'll brb....

OR...I can enjoy mine, and just give 6th gen owners a thumbs up as they drive by....

(3RX owners...take notes)
Old 11-10-15, 01:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I bet you on the Camaro forums there are plenty of 5th gen owners that complain about the 6th gen and talk about how much better theirs are too lol
Old 11-10-15, 03:29 PM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

Okay guys...sorry...didn't mean to cause such an up roar with my comment earlier. I don't dislike everything about the 4th generation, nor did I want to dampen any enthusiasm. It is always fun to get a new ride, and especially Lexus one no matter what generation it is. I guess I need to see the 2016 in person, drive it, and then keep my mouth shut if I don't like it LOL I just like my 3rd generation a lot too. Wrong place to say that I guess. A lesson each day to learn..right ?
Drinks on the house ! Cheers !!

Last edited by RDLGX; 11-10-15 at 03:44 PM.
Old 11-10-15, 04:21 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Its a consistent problem here on CL and on other car forums. When a new model comes out the subform for that model is inundated by people who own the previous version talking about how much better their car is, how they prefer the old styling, etc. It gets old...and it dampens enthusiasm for the new model. In the 3IS forum it got so bad that any post about a positive review or anything like that degraded into a flamewar...it was like posting on a BMW forum or something. They had to ban specific posters from that subforum, I know the same has happened in the 4LS forum where 3LS owners come in and constantly berate the new car and post about how theirs is better, etc, several habitual offenders were banned from the forum.

Its always funny when down the line you see those same people driving the new model lol

People will always seek to justify their own purchase, and their inability or desire to spend to upgrade. Issue comes when it limits the owners of the new model from being able to enjoy discussing their cars...that isn't fair.
I totally agree with you steve. Haterz gonna hate. The haterz will say this and that but in the end....I will be the one enjoying my new RX! And they can keep dreaming!
Old 11-10-15, 04:50 PM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its not really old vs new, the new rx, is ugly looking on the outside and is about as sexy as hillary clinton
they will sell they did a great job with interior and comfort and tech, kudos to lexus
like to see the focus group they used for appearance.
Old 11-10-15, 04:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ls430lover
its not really old vs new, the new rx, is ugly looking on the outside and is about as sexy as hillary clinton
they will sell they did a great job with interior and comfort and tech, kudos to lexus
like to see the focus group they used for appearance.
Thats your opinion. I don't think its ugly at all, in person I think its quite attractive in the right color with the right wheels.

The styling shouldn't surprise anybody. Just look at the NX, we knew it was going to be a bigger NX.
Old 11-10-15, 05:01 PM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

disagree, i spent time at dealer with nx, its better looking and less aggressive.
thats what makes horse races brother,
Old 11-10-15, 05:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That again is your opinion. I don't see how anybody can say the NX is less aggressive than the RX.

Your opinion isn't a fact...its just your opinion.
Old 11-10-15, 08:58 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the new RX will continue selling very well. The design is more popular but it seems like core RX customers are the types of people who are dead set on having a Japanese luxury SUV that is just as prestigious as the German competition but will be a better long-term proposition for ownership.

Lexus is clearly trying to broaden the appeal of their brand and snag some customers from the likes of BMW and Audi, who in the past would have never considered the Lexus RX over the X5 and Q7. Let's face it, for the longest time the RX was laughable in the face of those SUVs. Behind in styling, interior design and quality, performance, etc (and frankly even this 4th gen is behind in all those areas). Nobody who was interested in those metrics even test drove the RX. Now those people might step into a Lexus dealership. My father, for example, was looking to replace his X5 last year and took a quick glance at the 3-RX and took it for a test drive. He said he wasted 2 hours when it was all said and done. He said it was a joke compared to his BMW in every measure.

Now I don't really have an issue with the styling in the non-F sport versions, but in the F-sport I think it looks stupid and it's FWD architecture becomes glaringly obvious. The entire F-sport line on the RX is laughable to me,a s it still pumps under 300 hp from an outdated V6 and takes 8 seconds to hit 60. Even the blandest base model X5 with that disgusting electric steering rack in the new F15s is sportier to drive.

Last edited by BrownPride; 11-10-15 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-11-15, 03:59 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
I think the new RX will continue selling very well. The design is more popular but it seems like core RX customers are the types of people who are dead set on having a Japanese luxury SUV that is just as prestigious as the German competition but will be a better long-term proposition for ownership.

Lexus is clearly trying to broaden the appeal of their brand and snag some customers from the likes of BMW and Audi, who in the past would have never considered the Lexus RX over the X5 and Q7. Let's face it, for the longest time the RX was laughable in the face of those SUVs. Behind in styling, interior design and quality, performance, etc (and frankly even this 4th gen is behind in all those areas). Nobody who was interested in those metrics even test drove the RX. Now those people might step into a Lexus dealership. My father, for example, was looking to replace his X5 last year and took a quick glance at the 3-RX and took it for a test drive. He said he wasted 2 hours when it was all said and done. He said it was a joke compared to his BMW in every measure.

Now I don't really have an issue with the styling in the non-F sport versions, but in the F-sport I think it looks stupid and it's FWD architecture becomes glaringly obvious. The entire F-sport line on the RX is laughable to me,a s it still pumps under 300 hp from an outdated V6 and takes 8 seconds to hit 60. Even the blandest base model X5 with that disgusting electric steering rack in the new F15s is sportier to drive.
I use to be a fan of BMWs and Audi but have since moved to Lexus because of reliability. Non of the BMWs and Audis I own in the past, and I owned 5 models between the two, can not last more than 40,000 miles without major problems. It got so old going to the dealer and treated like dirt from the service manager telling me I dont know how to drive my car therefore they break? That I should drive it gently and I should be easy on the throttle. I mean seriously? I should drive like a grandma in my high performance BMW/Audi?

Then I went over to Lexus and never looked back. When I switched from German cars to a Japanese one, I did it because of reliabily not styling. When I switched over to Lexus all of their cars were Bland and Boring but very smooth and comfortable. I am sooooooo glad that Lexus has finally stepped up and create cars with personality and style. Ever since the 4GS, the fire in my heart for Lexus has never burned brighter! And as a bonus Lexus service managers treats me like i am there most valuable customer.

Last edited by AL13NV8D3R; 11-11-15 at 04:04 AM.

Quick Reply: initial impression of 16 rx f sport