RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Tell me about the power!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-15, 02:06 PM
magpullin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tell me about the power!!

Specs say 0-60 in 7.7 sec for the base and 7.9 for the F Sport.
Less than impressive, but in real world driving how does the acceleration feel??
Sluggish or Peppy at lower or higher speeds?
If you have driven both models does the F Sport actually seem a little slower?
Old 11-12-15, 02:55 PM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Actually all of the FWD are 7.7 and the AWD are 7.9.
Old 11-12-15, 03:04 PM
jwigley
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah kinda sluggish. I really don't like that about the 16 RX. None of the RX line was very fast though. My 01 RX is a road slug.
Old 11-12-15, 07:27 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

adequate is how i characterize. But since this is a NA motor, smooth power delivery, no lag.
Old 11-12-15, 07:42 PM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

its definitely quicker than the old model and has a nice muted growl that the old models never had ... this was the RX350 sports Luxury . The F sport adds a nice induction growl as well
Old 11-15-15, 02:58 PM
metrathon
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by coolsaber
adequate is how i characterize. But since this is a NA motor, smooth power delivery, no lag.
Never drove a good modern turbo I suppose. The NA engines have a curved delivery, they slowly climb up and only kick in at high rpms for a very short time.
The modern turbos give you max torque across the band and max power 40% of the time. That's SMOOTH power delivery
Old 11-17-15, 05:23 PM
billohio
Driver School Candidate

I was surprised that it was better than I expected. If you want slug, try an NX. Wow was I disappointed. Just too much weight for that motor
Old 11-18-15, 09:00 AM
joe311
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by billohio
I was surprised that it was better than I expected. If you want slug, try an NX. Wow was I disappointed. Just too much weight for that motor
i agree with that one. We almost got the nx and we were so relieved we didn't. The NX is a slug compared to the RX. It's not even in the same league. We waited a full month for the RX and it was well worth it.
Old 11-18-15, 10:03 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

C&D tested a NX F-Sport at 6.9 seconds 0-60. It looks like they haven't tested a new RX yet but are estimating 6.9 seconds - They did a 2015 F-Sport and it was 7.0 seconds. The small turbo in the NX no doubt feels different than the smooth V6.
Old 11-18-15, 11:13 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by metrathon
Never drove a good modern turbo I suppose. The NA engines have a curved delivery, they slowly climb up and only kick in at high rpms for a very short time.
The modern turbos give you max torque across the band and max power 40% of the time. That's SMOOTH power delivery
I guess the N55, the engine of the year is probably a bad example due to its lack of dual turbos (twin scroll turbo instead). Its powerful, but their is a hint of lag that is there compared to the Toyo NA V6.
Old 11-18-15, 01:39 PM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
C&D tested a NX F-Sport at 6.9 seconds 0-60. It looks like they haven't tested a new RX yet but are estimating 6.9 seconds - They did a 2015 F-Sport and it was 7.0 seconds. The small turbo in the NX no doubt feels different than the smooth V6.
^^ You beat me to it, I just read that review in the Dec C&D this morning..
Old 11-19-15, 09:23 AM
metrathon
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by coolsaber
I guess the N55, the engine of the year is probably a bad example due to its lack of dual turbos (twin scroll turbo instead). Its powerful, but their is a hint of lag that is there compared to the Toyo NA V6.
Right, that was a single turbo. But even with that hint of lag, I would take the broad power range and effortless acceleration anytime over the short lived peaky response of a NA.

Once you go turbo it's hard to go back to NA. I just got a GS 350 and although it has decent power, it's SO hard to get it out of it. You gotta smash the pedal, get the engine roaring, all the drama. With a good turbo you don't even downshift, you have full torque at 2k RPM.
Old 11-22-15, 04:33 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by magpullin
Specs say 0-60 in 7.7 sec for the base and 7.9 for the F Sport.
Less than impressive, but in real world driving how does the acceleration feel??
Sluggish or Peppy at lower or higher speeds?
If you have driven both models does the F Sport actually seem a little slower?
I have driven my new RX for a couple of days now and I would say the power is more than adequate for most. People looking for a faster vehicle need to look else where. I was concerned about the 8 speed tranny shifting and hunting but Lexus did well in getting it to be have and it works pretty well in my opinion.

Getting out of a full size SUV the 7.7 secs does not feel like a slug to me.
Old 11-22-15, 05:04 PM
Martin321
Driver

Originally Posted by metrathon
Right, that was a single turbo. But even with that hint of lag, I would take the broad power range and effortless acceleration anytime over the short lived peaky response of a NA.

Once you go turbo it's hard to go back to NA. I just got a GS 350 and although it has decent power, it's SO hard to get it out of it. You gotta smash the pedal, get the engine roaring, all the drama. With a good turbo you don't even downshift, you have full torque at 2k RPM.
If you want to go Turbos, you have to go to Germans, We don't have any of that.
Old 11-23-15, 04:28 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

If you ask any professional race circuit driver or endurance track driver what they prefer a NA engine or one with turbos and 100% will say NA. Only a drag car racer will pick the Turbo engine. We civilians drive our cars 90% like a road course circuit. But hadly ever drag race our cars so why even bother with Turbos and its headaches when they break.

Quick Reply: Tell me about the power!!