RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Extended Warranty (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-20, 06:46 PM
AndrewTO
Driver

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by blayze1983
I got the exact same quote from my dealer here in Ontario. Picking it up next week.

The sales person recommended I purchase the 84/140k for $3370. Based on my understanding, this is basically a three year extension beyond the manufacturer 4 year warranty correct? So $3,370 for an extra 3 yrs. Seems expensive to me when you look at it that way... basically paying about $1,100/yr for coverage.

I'm inclined to pass... it feels redundant that I'm buying a Lexus primarily for the reliability and then spending more for extended insurance. Kind of defeats the value proposition of Lexus. I might as well get something more fun and less reliable like an Audi if I were gonna get extended coverage.

Having said that, I'm open minded to feedback since you guys know a lot more. What do u think?
Unless you're buying first year of a redesign where issues tend to pop up a bit more (my story with my 2016 RX), I would advise against it. There's a lot of profit to be made off of extended warranties, especially for Lexus.

Save the money and invest it, and you'll probably get better returns. You also have until the end of your basic warranty to decide if you want the extended warranty - granted, the value proposition drops the closer you get to the end of your basic warranty, but at least you have that choice.
The following 2 users liked this post by AndrewTO:
blayze1983 (07-22-20), coolbrazz (08-04-20)
Old 07-22-20, 09:48 PM
blayze1983
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by AndrewTO
Unless you're buying first year of a redesign where issues tend to pop up a bit more (my story with my 2016 RX), I would advise against it. There's a lot of profit to be made off of extended warranties, especially for Lexus.

Save the money and invest it, and you'll probably get better returns. You also have until the end of your basic warranty to decide if you want the extended warranty - granted, the value proposition drops the closer you get to the end of your basic warranty, but at least you have that choice.
That's what I figured, thanks man.
Old 08-02-20, 07:44 PM
Tarkus
Pit Crew

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

It's an insurance policy like any other. It's a crap shoot.
The following users liked this post:
coolbrazz (08-04-20)
Old 08-03-20, 04:12 AM
Quantum501
Advanced

Received 479 Likes on 260 Posts

Knock on wood that I have never purchased one and never needed one. This is why I purchased a Lexus. I just be sure to self budget or invest some money for that major repair that hopefully never comes. Now if I owned a Chrysler.....nevermind, that would never happen.
Old 08-04-20, 08:09 AM
coolbrazz
Advanced

Received 182 Likes on 142 Posts

Lexus is rated one of the most reliable brands out there. If the recommended maintenance is followed you probably won't have any issues unless you have incidents out of your control. This is my second RX, and never had any problems. If it's a dealer CPO I would negotiate an extended figuring age vs mileage of the car.
If purchasing extended coverage on a new car makes you sleep better at night that's a decision only you can make no matter what the cost analysis calculate to. imo....
Old 09-25-20, 04:18 AM
RXWes
Lead Lap

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts
Default 45K Service And Extended Warranty

So last Friday I took my 2016 RX350 in to the dealership for its 45k service. Its a Certified pre own I purchased 18 months ago. Besides the service inspection it also has the drivers side door recall to take care.

When I was at the dealership I mentioned I noticed a dime size oil leak on my garage floor a few weeks back.

So its now its another Friday and the car is still in the shop. Beside the service work. It does have a oil leak as well as a water leak. And to fix the problems the engine has to come out.

So the moral of the story is always have the extended warranty. This is my 5th Lexus vehicle. And I have always had either the extended or certified pre own warranty. Which worked out as each vehicle had at least one repair that cost more than the extended warranty purchase price.

Will see if the car is done today
Old 09-25-20, 06:26 AM
BMGS
Racer

Received 551 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by RXWes
So last Friday I took my 2016 RX350 in to the dealership for its 45k service. Its a Certified pre own I purchased 18 months ago. Besides the service inspection it also has the drivers side door recall to take care.

When I was at the dealership I mentioned I noticed a dime size oil leak on my garage floor a few weeks back.

So its now its another Friday and the car is still in the shop. Beside the service work. It does have a oil leak as well as a water leak. And to fix the problems the engine has to come out.

So the moral of the story is always have the extended warranty. This is my 5th Lexus vehicle. And I have always had either the extended or certified pre own warranty. Which worked out as each vehicle had at least one repair that cost more than the extended warranty purchase price.

Will see if the car is done today
Keep in mind a dealer invoiced repair will be inflated to make the warranty work appear worthwhile.
Old 09-25-20, 07:26 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,573 Likes on 1,830 Posts

Extended warranties return roughly 95% gross profit margin to the issuer. Good peace of mind I suppose for the consumer but I'll continue to self-insure. And at 45K, isn't the original B2B warranty still in force?
SFFD785 (09-25-20)
Old 09-25-20, 07:54 AM
RXWes
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Extended warranties return roughly 95% gross profit margin to the issuer. Good peace of mind I suppose for the consumer but I'll continue to self-insure. And at 45K, isn't the original B2B warranty still in force?
It is still under warranty from the CPO.

As far as the cost, If you pay 1000 dollars for a 4 year Platinum warranty. It could be all profit for the dealership. But if you have two 1000 dollar warranty claim repairs. Its 100 percent profit for the owner.
Old 09-25-20, 07:55 AM
RXWes
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BMGS
Keep in mind a dealer invoiced repair will be inflated to make the warranty work appear worthwhile.
I wish they did that on my ISF I had a few years ago. It took four trips to the dealer to get my Air Conditioning fixed.
Old 09-25-20, 11:36 AM
SFFD785
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Agreed.

I rather self insure since it's a Lexus and is far less risk than anything else in its class. At the end of the day, it's a Toyota, and the engine/drivetrain has been used in millions of cars in the Toyota lineup.

OP: The oil leak most likely has been there and could have been covered under the manufacturer's warranty if it was noticed sooner. IMO, your issues don't constitute for everyone to automatically buy CPO or with extended warranties. Not that issues like this don't happen, but it's highly unlikely.

Old 09-25-20, 09:10 PM
RXWes
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SFFD785
Not that issues like this don't happen, but it's highly unlikely.
Except it has happened on all 5 of my Lexus vehicles. Two new, 3 CPO.

Engine oil and water leaks. Navigation system replaced, complete overhaul of my air conditioning system. Air Bag warning light, XM radio module fail,

These are just the repairs that were over 1.000 dollars. Numerous other issues. On top of the transmission programming.

My leak I found was about the size of a dime. Easily missed if I had not put an epoxy floor coating on my garage floor.

But for those who self insure. Or those who lease or trade in before the original warranty expires. You’re good.

I tend to keep my cars 5 to 6 years. And the CPO or extended warranty has always paid for its self.

Last edited by RXWes; 10-20-20 at 01:59 PM.
exonw (09-26-20)
Old 10-14-20, 05:33 PM
topcat24
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Vehicle Service Agreement Cost / Max Years on 2017 RX350 F Sport

Hello All,

I am looking at a 2017 RX350 AWD F Sport CPO from a dealer here in Massachusetts, I have been told the CPO VSA warranty needs to be purchased from the selling dealer only. Does anyone know how long of an extended VSA I can purchase on my CPO 2017 RX? I know that the CPO warranty will cover me for 2 years until 1/2023, currently the vehicle has 34,900 miles I plan on keeping it for a very long time just curious on the length of VSA and cost thank you all.

Todd
Old 10-16-20, 03:12 AM
RXWes
Lead Lap

Default Buying Extended Warranty

I’ve never purchased the VSA warranty except on a new Lexus

When I did I call around and found Jerry at a Toyota dealership who undercut the Lexus dealer by 40 percent.

You should call around and ask

Last edited by RXWes; 10-20-20 at 02:01 PM.
Old 10-19-20, 07:21 PM
mrchunkie
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

so i just recently purchased a 2020 rx350 fsport. i told them i work at a dealership and they tried to sell me a 10 year/100000mile warranty for $2150 bumper to bumper 200 disappearing deductible. It's a CNA warranty and they're one of the best companies around. didnt buy it but bought a zurich warranty through my work instead for $1950 10year/105kmile warranty $100 deductible. Dealerships usually mark up 2k so theres always room!

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty (merged threads)