RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Remote Start - Smart Access Fob

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-15, 04:19 AM
VinceCL
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Remote Start - Smart Access Fob

Hello all! I have started the search for a new vehicle and am looking to step up from my trusty Subaru into something a bit more civilised and found my way here There is a lot of great info on this forum and I hope to be able to contribute once I get up to speed!

I did a quick search on the forum and could not find any info on this and as I am new to the world of Lexus I needed some help... Does the smart access fob still have nthe remote start capability that it has had in the past (I was able to find that at Lexus.com) or has that feature been shifted to the Enform remote app? I am hoping that such a basic feature would not require a monthly investment on something I would not use too often but would be nice to have on occasion. Another reason is that I have a windows phone and there is no app available as of yet.

Thanks!
Old 11-14-15, 08:42 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 225 Likes on 179 Posts

If you click the lock button on your remote 3 times, while holding the last click until you see your hazard lights flash, you can remote start it from your key fob. You have to be within key fob range of your car for it to work though. Some have said that it's tied into the Enform subscription, while others have said its not. The remote start feature is also on the Enform Remote app, but it allows you to start wherever you are.

Keep in mind that it only leaves the car on for 10 minutes and shuts off. It also shuts off when you open a door.
Old 11-14-15, 09:21 AM
VinceCL
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dchar
If you click the lock button on your remote 3 times, while holding the last click until you see your hazard lights flash, you can remote start it from your key fob. You have to be within key fob range of your car for it to work though. Some have said that it's tied into the Enform subscription, while others have said its not. The remote start feature is also on the Enform Remote app, but it allows you to start wherever you are.

Keep in mind that it only leaves the car on for 10 minutes and shuts off. It also shuts off when you open a door.
Thanks for the reply! That level of functionality is what I am accustomed to and would perfectly happy with that assuming no subscription is required. Thanks again.

Anybody out there willing to give the key fob lock button the old three click salute and see if their 4RX starts?
Old 11-15-15, 09:01 AM
hon3kong
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Three clicks worked on my 16, i do have the enform remote activated tho
Old 11-15-15, 10:35 AM
VinceCL
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hon3kong
Three clicks worked on my 16, i do have the enform remote activated tho
Cool! Thanks for checking. As for the Entire remote I can't think of a reason it would be necessary for the fob to work as a remote start, but maybe they have rigged it so a subscription is needed??

Thanks again!
Old 11-16-15, 09:04 AM
joe311
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mines worked when i tried it again after the enform remote app connected to the car. So i'm not sure if it is related or not since i did try it before setting up the free year subscription to the enform app. It works like stated above. Click lock 3 or 4 times quickly and holding down lock on the last click until the hazards flashes.
Old 11-17-15, 10:48 AM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

The ability of the key fob is definitely tied to your Enform Subscription. You get 1 year free trial and after that will be a paid option.
Old 11-17-15, 12:28 PM
gregjhonda
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Your key FOB remote start capability will cease if you do not renew Enform.

Furthermore you can't just subscribe to the Enform remote option. You have to buy a whole Enform package to get the remote start.

So the remote start capability is built into your vehicle, but they take it away if you don't re-subscribe and you will have to pay the dealer $500+ to get a remote system (even though it's already built in and fully operational in your vehicle) or go aftermarket if you don't opt to use Enform.
Old 11-17-15, 12:32 PM
VinceCL
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info. That is a bummer and rather annoying money grab (and unfortunately seemingly more common). Oh well..
Old 11-17-15, 02:07 PM
joe311
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i personally wouldn't renew it if that is the case. It takes so long to hold the lock button for it to finally start, about a good 5-10 seconds from the initial click. I do like how the MDX remote start function works in that vehicle but that is the only thing i like about the MDX. They updated the way remote start works in the mdx, where the car does not turn off when you open the door. TO drive off you would simply push the start button with the key like you would normally do. So pushing on brakes to shift out of park would turn off the vehicle. IMO that's how remote start function should work.

Last edited by joe311; 11-17-15 at 02:12 PM.
Old 11-17-15, 02:32 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

I used the remote start daily on my previous cars, I enjoyed having the car either heated or cooled before getting into it.

but with the Lexus it is too cumbersome to use, aside from the 3 presses and wait, the moment you touch the door or trunk the car shuts off, and the app takes a long time to respond and suffers the same affect, touch the car and it shuts down..

rather pointless IMO.
Old 11-17-15, 02:42 PM
go3Ds
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is the link for Lexus Enform http://www.lexus.com/enform/?tab=suite
Click on PRICING/REGISTRATION for various price packages after the 1 year complimentary period expires on all Enform service items, including remote. Minimum current yearly price for the remote is $219.95, but also includes Safety Connect and Service Connect. Best value is the complete package $344.90 which also includes Destinations.

I Personally would not be without at least the Safety Connect, which includes Service Connect, so would probably continue on with the remote if it works well, for a few dollars more.