RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

4RX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-17, 03:14 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 517 Likes on 386 Posts

I have had the red light warning come on while going around a corner with an oncoming vehicle. If it would have slammed on the brakes, it would likely have caused me to hit him.

Hope Lexus accounts for situations like this.

I have had this save me from an accident, so I will leave it on for sure.
Old 06-09-17, 03:16 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 517 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by feddery
Yes, true, I wish it automatically slow you down a bit before it actually stops you hard
Other than the warning light there is no warning. Braking is MAX.
Old 06-12-17, 03:12 PM
CaliTravel
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my 2004 RX330 the lighted door sills would come on at night no matter what setting I had the internal lights on. On my 2017 RX450h the lighted door sills will only come on if I have the interior lights set to come on with the doors open. I understand the reasoning behind it, but I find it to be slightly irritating. I don't like the interior lights to come on at night, usually just too bright for me, but I do like the door sills to light up.

For a good month I thought my door sills just weren't working, but it's because I didn't have the interior lights set to "door".
Old 06-12-17, 08:21 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 230 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by CaliTravel
In my 2004 RX330 the lighted door sills would come on at night no matter what setting I had the internal lights on. On my 2017 RX450h the lighted door sills will only come on if I have the interior lights set to come on with the doors open. I understand the reasoning behind it, but I find it to be slightly irritating. I don't like the interior lights to come on at night, usually just too bright for me, but I do like the door sills to light up.

For a good month I thought my door sills just weren't working, but it's because I didn't have the interior lights set to "door".
Just a suggestion if it really bothers you...
Illuminated door sills are a port installed option; so if it really bothers you, you can take open it up and change the power source that the sills tap in to. Instead of dome lights, you can tap into the footwell area light. Your sills will stay illuminated when you have the dome lights off but also when you drive...but they are LED so it shouldn't be a problem. My sister's NX was wired this way from the port.
Old 06-14-17, 09:11 PM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

Here is a very good video on the 4RX which many of you have seen.
In it, at the 13 minute mark, he explains how to limit the height of the power back door, very important to me because of the beams in my garage.

An easier and more accurate way is to manually position the door to the desired height and then push the button until you hear 4 beeps. I would have rather used the method in the menu however 5 was too high and 4 was way to low.
Hope this helps someone.
The following 3 users liked this post by Nail34:
AST300 (08-27-17), FastFord (06-15-17), PeeVee (06-15-17)
Old 06-15-17, 03:18 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

One of the better videos
Old 06-15-17, 08:24 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

I had it at 4 for a while for my garage door rail to find out that at 5 it was close but cleared. But I also found 4 too low that I would hit my head on the door from time to time. Good to know the 4 second hold on the button trick! Thanks!
Old 06-15-17, 12:32 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 215 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
That's what the adaptive cruise control is for.
I had a service loaner ES 350 with adaptive cruise control - HATED it! It just wouldn't slowl the car, it was like a full on brake dive, no matter how low I set the sensitivity. That is one option I wanted, but now I'm glad I didn't get. This system needs lots more refining.
Old 06-15-17, 12:44 PM
FastFord
Racer

Must be different in the RX because it works really well. I have only used it 4 or 5 times and I left it on the default distance, a little too far away for the speed I was going, but it worked. It slows down so slowly that you don't even notice it.
Old 06-15-17, 01:45 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 230 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
I had a service loaner ES 350 with adaptive cruise control - HATED it! It just wouldn't slowl the car, it was like a full on brake dive, no matter how low I set the sensitivity. That is one option I wanted, but now I'm glad I didn't get. This system needs lots more refining.
Originally Posted by FastFord
Must be different in the RX because it works really well. I have only used it 4 or 5 times and I left it on the default distance, a little too far away for the speed I was going, but it worked. It slows down so slowly that you don't even notice it.
The Adaptive Cruise Control on the ES is not a all-speed system (stops to 0 mph) like on the RX, GS, LS, and LX. I also found the Adaptive Cruise Control on a loaner ES and IS to be fairly useless in everyday use, but may be useful in long drives. The full on brake dive experienced might be the Pre-collision system activating. LSS+ on the ES and IS also doesn't have Lane Keep Assist, which is different than Lane Departure Alert, and very useful.
Old 06-15-17, 10:43 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 215 Likes on 170 Posts

Yeah, it was like someone was standing on the brake pedal as I approached a slower vehicle in front of me. It was beyond unnerving at 75 mph.
Old 06-16-17, 04:26 AM
FastFord
Racer

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
Yeah, it was like someone was standing on the brake pedal as I approached a slower vehicle in front of me. It was beyond unnerving at 75 mph.
That's not the cruise control doing that. More likely the collision system kicking in. Yup that will wake you up!
Old 06-16-17, 05:09 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 601 Likes on 420 Posts

That's not the cruise control doing that. More likely the collision system kicking in. Yup that will wake you up!
On Canadian 2016 RX' the Cruise Control will reduce the speed very Smoothly until 49 km/h (30mph). after that the Cruise kicks our and the you have to take over. If you miss to stop then the collision detection kicks in and locks up the brakes.

I believe the 2017 rx has a Full Speed Cruise Control which control the speed all the way to 0.
Old 06-16-17, 09:47 AM
dwayneir
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
I believe the 2017 rx has a Full Speed Cruise Control which control the speed all the way to 0.
I can confirm that ... on my 2017 in bumper to bumper traffic, it will bring me all the way to a stop. At that point, the display states "Waiting". And it will resume when the car in front takes off. The problem is that it is a bit too conservative for my taste. It takes a little too long to resume and even at the closest setting, still leaves enough space for someone else to squeeze in.
Old 06-16-17, 11:26 AM
guxu
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Not sure if it was mentioned before, but the Enform remote start is so slow. I tried about three times, hoping the remote start would cool down the car a little bit. The first two times the engine was never started before I opened the door. The 3rd time the engine did start, when I was two or three steps away from the car. And the engine stopped when I opened the door.

Quick Reply: 4RX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)