RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

4RX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-17, 03:22 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts

since we're on the topic of changing options, i have a 450 being delivered in about 10 days or so.
are there changes that are recommended ?? like 48 or others that you guys have found helpful or nice tweaks ??

thanks. i have the pdf printed, and will make notes.
Old 12-03-17, 08:31 AM
AkiD
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

thanks! However, the service people were the ones that told me that it couldn't be done. I'll talk to the service manager next time I go over there. It seems
that if they don't know or don't want to look it up, they just say, "It can't be done." *sigh*
Old 12-03-17, 09:42 AM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by JSracer
since we're on the topic of changing options, i have a 450 being delivered in about 10 days or so.
are there changes that are recommended ?? like 48 or others that you guys have found helpful or nice tweaks ??

thanks. i have the pdf printed, and will make notes.
There are only 29 options. Pick the ones you "think" you would like to change, if you find you don't like the change, have the them reset to standard. Some people do not make any changes and I'm sure you could find someone who likes any one of the 29 changes, but that doesn't help you at all. All the changes should be made at the 5k service, so by then you should have a better idea of what to change. No worries!!
Old 12-03-17, 06:11 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 215 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by AkiD
For the life of me, I can figure out something as simple as reprogramming my 2017 RX450h to fold the mirrors when I turn off the ignition instead
of when I lock the car? I spoke with my service rep at Pohanka Lexus in Chantilly Va. today and they said there's no way to program it to do that
however, there's a procedure to simultaneously press the right/left mirror buttons then the auto button to make a 2016 450h do that.

I just can't believe no one has figured out how to do this except to buy a Calista OBD2 and pay the $9.99 subscription fee just to make this minor
change. Why would Lexus even make the default that? It seems counter intuitive. ugh.

-aki
What am I missing here? What difference does it make if the mirrors fold when you lock it or when you turn it off?? I love having the mirrors fold on lock - I can immediately tell that I have all doors locked. I miss that feature when I drive other vehicles.
Old 12-04-17, 08:45 AM
Nail34
Intermediate

Talking

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
What am I missing here? What difference does it make if the mirrors fold when you lock it or when you turn it off?? I love having the mirrors fold on lock - I can immediately tell that I have all doors locked. I miss that feature when I drive other vehicles.
1. Some folks, the independent ones, would like to fold the mirrors only when they want them folded by manually folding them or by pushing the fold button.
2. Some folks, the standard ones, almost always lock their doors and would them folded every time the doors are locked.
3. Some folks, the rebellious ones (lol), don't always lock their doors, as in their garage for example, but still would like the mirrors to be folded.
Old 12-04-17, 08:56 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,572 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Originally Posted by Nail34
1. Some folks, the independent ones, would like to fold the mirrors only when they want them folded by manually folding them or by pushing the fold button.
2. Some folks, the standard ones, almost always lock their doors and would them folded every time the doors are locked.
3. Some folks, the rebellious ones (lol), don't always lock their doors, as in their garage for example, but still would like the mirrors to be folded.
That was well said
Old 12-04-17, 11:09 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Number 3: I fold manually before getting in the garage, and back to automatic once out of it.
Old 12-04-17, 03:51 PM
Nail34
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PeeVee
Number 3: I fold manually before getting in the garage, and back to automatic once out of it.
No doubt about it, manual between automatics...rebellious #3
Old 12-05-17, 04:37 AM
AkiD
Rookie

Cool Here's something I found out quite by accident - 2017 450h

I discovered, quite by accident, that if I run my finger across the top of the "mouse", the cursor moves on the navigation screen. I'm not sure what purpose it serves
as it moves very slowly but I guess you could do that if you needed to move the cursor very slowly for accuracy. Not sure if it works on the 2016's. We also have a 2015 ES300h
but I haven't had a chance to try it out on that car yet.

-aki
The following 3 users liked this post by AkiD:
Danushie (06-20-21), guxu (12-06-17), mssca (12-19-17)
Old 12-05-17, 09:04 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,572 Likes on 1,829 Posts

The small scroll button by the Menu and Map buttons - multi function - handy zoom in and out when in map mode.
The following 3 users liked this post by mikemu30:
Danushie (06-20-21), guxu (12-06-17), mssca (12-19-17)
Old 12-06-17, 07:25 AM
cec327
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
If mirrors retract when the ignition is turned off then there would be no point in using the retracted mirrors to determine whether vehicle is locked or not Personally,I love the feature of locking and retracting mirrors- others may not. To each his own.
Old 12-06-17, 08:05 AM
AkiD
Rookie

Originally Posted by cec327
If mirrors retract when the ignition is turned off then there would be no point in using the retracted mirrors to determine whether vehicle is locked or not Personally,I love the feature of locking and retracting mirrors- others may not. To each his own.
I like having them fold in when I turn the car off. It's just a personal preference. Every car I've owned with power foldable mirrors was set up that way. As far as needing the mirrors to tell me that the car is locked, that seems like overkill. The car already beeps and flashes it's tail lights. How
much more confirmation do you really need?

I'm obviously not the only person that likes it that way since it's an option that the dealer can program.
The following users liked this post:
Nail34 (12-06-17)
Old 12-06-17, 09:03 AM
guxu
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I discovered, quite by accident, that if I run my finger across the top of the "mouse", the cursor moves on the navigation screen.
Originally Posted by mikemu30
The small scroll button by the Menu and Map buttons - multi function - handy zoom in and out when in map mode.
These two tricks improved the navigation experience a lot!
Old 12-08-17, 04:06 PM
cec327
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I like having them fold in when I turn the car off. It's just a personal preference. Every car I've owned with power foldable mirrors was set up that way. As far as needing the mirrors to tell me that the car is locked, that seems like overkill. The car already beeps and flashes it's tail lights. How
much more confirmation do you really need?

I'm obviously not the only person that likes it that way since it's an option that the dealer can program.
There have been many times where I have walked away from the car only to forget whether or not I locked it. The retracted mirrors tell me if it was locked. If you want it your way great. Makes no difference to me. Sometimes I lock the car out of habit, walk away, and forget if I locked it. Your lucky that you don't have that problem as I sometimes do..
Old 12-08-17, 04:25 PM
kent2174
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

I always lock prior to closing door. I listen for the clunk sound that it locked.
Remote app is useful to verify locked. In rare case I forget to lock, app alert lets me know.

Quick Reply: 4RX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)