RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

4RX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-17, 07:08 AM
AkiD
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, I had the infamous "brake squawking" I've read about. Basically, even with the 450h off, I could press the brake pedal and I would hear a very loud
squawking sound. Just forward of the drivers side firewall. It was quite noticeable...especially in stop and go traffic. Armed with a TSB I found on alldata.com (TSB ID: L-TT-0201-160) specifically addressing the brake squawking problem (apparently not isolated to the '17 450h or even RX's btw), I went to my local dealer. yesterday.

As soon as i mentioned the squawking issue, the tech just said, "Oh yeah, not another one. No problem, we'll bleed the brakes and if that doesn't work, we'll need to replace the brake actuator.".

Got a loner and left. 3 hours later, they called me and said that the brake bleeding didn't fix the problem so they are
are in the process of replacing the actuator (thankfully, they had one in stock...$2,000 if not under warranty yikes!).

Anyway, while they had it, I asked them to change the lane change blink interval from 3 to 5 and change the mirror folding from lock to ignition.

Got the car back later yesterday afternoon. Brake problem solved! Blinker interval changed but they said they can't change the mirror folding. Can't be done in 2017's (what?). Has anyone else successfully had their dealer change the mirror folding on their '17 450h? The tech told me that the '16's can
be changed by the customer via their vehicle settings on their navigation screen. He had no idea why that changed in '17 though.

-aki
The following users liked this post:
Danushie (06-20-21)
Old 12-10-17, 07:32 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!
Forum Moderator

Received 173 Likes on 147 Posts

aki, check #48 from the 2017 RX350 Lexus Personalized Settings. There are two options for the folding mirrors. We also have a thread about them here.
Old 12-10-17, 12:50 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,572 Likes on 1,829 Posts

200 mile drive yesterday in the snowy northeast so lots of washer fluid being dispensed. But I can't figure out how to wash the rear window. Then it finally hits me - pull stalk to wash front and push stalk to wash rear. By the way, the RX performed flawlessly in that nasty weather. At several points, the front radar sensor became disabled as it was covered in snow. All good once I cleared it. Also had similar issue with the parking sensors later that night.
The following users liked this post:
sacksteder (02-02-18)
Old 12-10-17, 12:54 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 215 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by AkiD
I like having them fold in when I turn the car off. It's just a personal preference. Every car I've owned with power foldable mirrors was set up that way. As far as needing the mirrors to tell me that the car is locked, that seems like overkill. The car already beeps and flashes it's tail lights. How
much more confirmation do you really need?

I'm obviously not the only person that likes it that way since it's an option that the dealer can program.
If you ever park in a really busy/noisy parking lot filled with Toyotas, they all beep the same & it’s very hard to tell what car is beeping. When I see the mirrors moving in, I know its my car. To each, his own.
Old 12-11-17, 07:56 AM
AkiD
Rookie

Originally Posted by kitlz
aki, check #48 from the 2017 RX350 Lexus Personalized Settings. There are two options for the folding mirrors. We also have a thread about them here.
Thanks. I read that earlier but it refers to the 16's not the 17 model. I wonder if anyone has actually *successfully* changed the mirrors on the 17's? I'd buy a Calista and make the change that way but
don't want to waste the money and time to discover that even Calista can't change a 17's setting.

-aki
Old 12-11-17, 07:57 AM
AkiD
Rookie

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
If you ever park in a really busy/noisy parking lot filled with Toyotas, they all beep the same & it’s very hard to tell what car is beeping. When I see the mirrors moving in, I know its my car. To each, his own.
Good point but at least in my situation, I don't have that problem but I see your logic in having the mirrors fold in when locking. Maybe that's Lexus' line of thought as well.
Old 12-11-17, 01:21 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Thanks. I read that earlier but it refers to the 16's not the 17 model. I wonder if anyone has actually *successfully* changed the mirrors on the 17's? I'd buy a Calista and make the change that way but
don't want to waste the money and time to discover that even Calista can't change a 17's setting.

-aki
What is a Calista?
Old 12-11-17, 02:22 PM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

-aki
Apparently this option is not available on the 350 or 450 without navigation, however this might pertain to the 3rd generation, IDK.
http://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/RX_without_nav.pdf
To answer your question, yes it can be programmed successfully on a 2017.
Old 12-12-17, 04:19 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

What is a Calista?
It is actually CaRista.

https://caristaapp.com/
Old 12-12-17, 04:47 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by PeeVee
It is actually CaRista.

Thanks for the link - no wonder I couldn’t find it in Google. It’s about as clear as a mud hole on what it can actually do. If you don’t subscribe all the time, do the changes go away? I’m leery of something when they spell brakes as “ breaks”. Can it take my 450h out of “economy” & leave it in “sport” mode all the time?
Old 12-12-17, 05:10 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts

Thanks for the link - no wonder I couldn’t find it in Google. It’s about as clear as a mud hole on what it can actually do. If you don’t subscribe all the time, do the changes go away? I’m leery of something when they spell brakes as “ breaks”. Can it take my 450h out of “economy” & leave it in “sport” mode all the time?
was thinking the same thing. would be good to know.
also if there are risks, it should be safe i would think, just selecting options.
Old 12-12-17, 06:31 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

TIf you don’t subscribe all the time, do the changes go away?

I am interested in it only for the TMPS programming and changing the winter-summer tires myself.

I don't think that it has to be plugged in at all times. It is used to program the options in the Car's memory and then unplug.

Those who might want it plugged all the time is for the feature that I saw for Racers to collect live engine performance data or change the engine tweak for performance (get more HP) or economy.

Mind that this device is used for many make and models.

For those who use it from time to time (like twice a year) I think it is better to subscribe for the months where you use it.

Correct me someone if I'm wrong.

Last edited by PeeVee; 12-12-17 at 06:32 AM. Reason: Added details
Old 12-12-17, 07:09 AM
cec327
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PeeVee
It is actually CaRista.

Your post is an excellent example of why I visit this site. I learned something new today. Thanks.
Old 12-12-17, 11:27 AM
AkiD
Rookie

Talking

Originally Posted by JSracer
was thinking the same thing. would be good to know.
also if there are risks, it should be safe i would think, just selecting options.
There's an entire discussion of the app (and no you don't need to have it plugged in except when programming/reprogramming a feature) in another thread on this forum:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...9-carista.html

The only concern I have is if messing around with any of the settings affects the warranty. (Well, that and the fact that it's not cheap).

-aki
Old 12-12-17, 01:08 PM
PeeVee
Advanced

There's an entire discussion of the app (and no you don't need to have it plugged in except when programming/reprogramming a feature) in another thread on this forum:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...9-carista.html

The only concern I have is if messing around with any of the settings affects the warranty. (Well, that and the fact that it's not cheap).

-aki
Thanks!

I was looking for it!

Quick Reply: 4RX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)