RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

4RX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-21, 05:58 PM
Lxsnewbie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Talys1767
@Bootman - I think the AC outlet is from the Executive package, not the rear DVD option. In any case, the rear DVD option in Canada isn't available in the F-Sport, and even if it were, it's so expensive (and not useful to me) that I wouldn't pay for it unless I had no choice in the matter.

From what I saw, the F-Sport has a cigarettle lighter accessory plug in the center console in the back, whereas the executive package has an AC outlet there. Would it have killed them to put an AC outlet there for the F-Sport?

I have a AC inverter inside the center compartment of the rear seats. Fits perfectly. However, I don't like using it because it makes a high-pitched whine -- a byproduct of it not being grounded -- but also, because it's one more thing floating/rattling around with wires.

The reason I want an AC block is to plug in/charge things like laptops.

It certainly is a million miles from a deal-killer... it's not something I would use *often*, but something I would really appreciate. It just seems bizarre that they wouldn't put it something that would be so generally desirable and easy to do, especially when it's in another package. In terms of actual cost, I think it would have been literally dollars.
I know, hey? Our 2017 GMC one ton Denali trim has AC outlet and I absolutely love it!! Use it often. I was very surprised to not have enough AC outlet in our Lexus.

Last edited by Lxsnewbie; 03-29-21 at 07:55 PM.
Old 04-05-21, 12:36 PM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 238 Likes on 165 Posts

Not sure if this has been posted, but I noted on my 2020 that there is no gas door unlock button on the dash (non-hybrid) as there was on my Gen 3. Washed the car yesterday and tried to open the gas filler door to wash out the cavity and noted the gas door locks when the rest of the doors are locked.
Old 04-05-21, 01:00 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 719 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by JasDmw
Not sure if this has been posted, but I noted on my 2020 that there is no gas door unlock button on the dash (non-hybrid) as there was on my Gen 3. Washed the car yesterday and tried to open the gas filler door to wash out the cavity and noted the gas door locks when the rest of the doors are locked.
Interesting observation. My 2021 RX 450h does still have the button on the dash. My 2016 NX had the lock mechanism that locks/unlocks with the rest of the vehicle though.
Old 04-05-21, 01:02 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

I think this was a recent 4th Gen change, as my 2016 RX 450h has a button on the dash. The recent 2020 RX 350 loaner I had did not have a dash button, but was like you described, locked with all of the door locks & unlocked with the driver’s door unlocking. I’m not sure why my model has a dash button as it seems over complicated.
Old 04-05-21, 04:15 PM
dibl
Instructor

Received 686 Likes on 401 Posts

No dash button on the 2018, just press the gas door to open (with other doors unlocked) and press again to close. Gas door is locked when other doors are locked.
Old 04-05-21, 07:24 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 577 Likes on 408 Posts

I think the button is there on hybrid only to set the car in fuel fill mode so that gas would not flow out instead of in. The owners manualon 450h should state that.

No button on my rx350
Old 04-05-21, 07:37 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
I think the button is there on hybrid only to set the car in fuel fill mode so that gas would not flow out instead of in. The owners manualon 450h should state that.

No button on my rx350
Why would gas flow out? As far as I can tell, there’s nothing different between the tank on the 450h & the 350. Perhaps it’s slightly smaller, but filler is identical. I don’t understand why there is a difference.
Old 04-05-21, 09:09 PM
kolokmee
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
Why would gas flow out? As far as I can tell, there’s nothing different between the tank on the 450h & the 350. Perhaps it’s slightly smaller, but filler is identical. I don’t understand why there is a difference.
There is a different valve in the hybrids you can't see. One time I stopped at a station in my hybrid, pressed the button, opened the flap, then found that the particular pump was not working.

Without closing the flap, I hopped back in the car and drove to another pump. I didn't push the button on the dash this time since the flap was already open. No big deal, right? Except this time, instead of the pump stopping when the tank was full, it continued to fill until gas spilled out. That was not fun.

So the fuel filler prep button absolutely does something on the hybrids. Due to the constant stop/start nature of our cars, Toyota/Lexus must have added that valve to protect the fuel line somehow.
Old 04-05-21, 10:02 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

I get what you’re saying, but if I’m not careful, mine will overfill & spray down the side every time I fill up. I do the two clicks. First click is almost full & 2nd means leave it alone.
Old 04-05-21, 10:30 PM
kolokmee
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
I get what you’re saying, but if I’m not careful, mine will overfill & spray down the side every time I fill up. I do the two clicks. First click is almost full & 2nd means leave it alone.
That's the thing. Normally I fill up to the first click and that's it.

In that one case, it never even got to click before the gas started spilling out.
Old 04-06-21, 05:22 AM
golferjack
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by kolokmee
There is a different valve in the hybrids you can't see. One time I stopped at a station in my hybrid, pressed the button, opened the flap, then found that the particular pump was not working.

Without closing the flap, I hopped back in the car and drove to another pump. I didn't push the button on the dash this time since the flap was already open. No big deal, right? Except this time, instead of the pump stopping when the tank was full, it continued to fill until gas spilled out. That was not fun.

So the fuel filler prep button absolutely does something on the hybrids. Due to the constant stop/start nature of our cars, Toyota/Lexus must have added that valve to protect the fuel line somehow.
Nice to know. I have a 2018 hybrid with a button on the dash. If I move to another pump I will close the door and reopen. Wierd.
Old 04-06-21, 08:26 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 719 Likes on 526 Posts

No button on my rx350
Odd that my 2016 NX hybrid had the same style as your RX 350. No button. This may suggest your argument is incorrect or that Lexus is simply inconsistent with their hybrid implementation. The owner's manual doesn't seem to provide clear information regarding a risk of backflow, but it does offer some discussion about the lock mechanism and risk of fuel spill:
The following users liked this post:
F3Woody (01-04-23)
Old 04-11-21, 05:17 PM
TitanCi
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I just noticed my front windshield on my brand new ‘21 F Sport is Pilkington, while all the other glass is AGC. Anyone else have this too?
Old 04-11-21, 05:38 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 577 Likes on 408 Posts

Yup. Normal
The following users liked this post:
TitanCi (04-11-21)
Old 04-11-21, 07:59 PM
TitanCi
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup. Normal
why this one though? This is my 4th Lexus and all the other ones have had AGC all around.

Quick Reply: 4RX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)