RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

4RX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-21, 01:20 PM
mak99
Pit Crew

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

One discovery I don't recall being mentioned here is the barely-variable speed of the power windows (at least the driver's) when using the one-touch feature when fully closed or open. I don't remember my 2006 400h window doing this for the one-touch operation, but on my 2019 the window starts at one speed (whether going up or down) for the first part (maybe 25%), then gets just a bit faster for maybe the second and third 25%'s, then slows down just a bit during the last 25%. This seems a bit more luxurious than just a constant-speed start-to-finish. A nice touch, IMO.
Old 04-13-21, 08:12 AM
fireball63
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mak99
One discovery I don't recall being mentioned here is the barely-variable speed of the power windows (at least the driver's) when using the one-touch feature when fully closed or open. I don't remember my 2006 400h window doing this for the one-touch operation, but on my 2019 the window starts at one speed (whether going up or down) for the first part (maybe 25%), then gets just a bit faster for maybe the second and third 25%'s, then slows down just a bit during the last 25%. This seems a bit more luxurious than just a constant-speed start-to-finish. A nice touch, IMO.
That is a nice touch.
Old 05-01-21, 09:50 PM
deparko
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

QUESTION. Just purchase a 2021 RX 350. I've had it about a week. Wondering when I should wax it..etc. It is something you do ASAP or at any prescribed time or when convenient. Thanks Deparko
Old 05-01-21, 10:13 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

If I had it to do all over like you, I would get a reputable professional to do a good ceramic coating on your new baby. Wax is old fashioned.
The following 4 users liked this post by gadgetman1:
blubox (04-21-24), deparko (05-01-21), F3Woody (01-03-23), Ohtexan (08-04-21)
Old 05-02-21, 01:13 AM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 157 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by deparko
QUESTION. Just purchase a 2021 RX 350. I've had it about a week. Wondering when I should wax it..etc. It is something you do ASAP or at any prescribed time or when convenient. Thanks Deparko
The sooner the better. You don't have to wait for factory paint to cure. Use a good quality wax, thin is better. I actually use Meguiars Fast Finish, not a wax but a coating that lasts a few months and allows dirt to come off very easily. Fast Finish is extremely easy to use, the whole car can be done in 15-20 minutes, you apply by rubbing on with one cloth and buffing off with another, "flashes off" beautifully. I also use it on the plastics, chrome, all helps to stop dirt embedding on the surface.
Old 05-02-21, 07:25 AM
deparko
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info will check out the new finish. I glad I don’t have to wait for the paint to cure 😀

Last edited by deparko; 05-02-21 at 08:03 AM.
Old 05-02-21, 10:03 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 719 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
The sooner the better. You don't have to wait for factory paint to cure. Use a good quality wax, thin is better. I actually use Meguiars Fast Finish, not a wax but a coating that lasts a few months and allows dirt to come off very easily. Fast Finish is extremely easy to use, the whole car can be done in 15-20 minutes, you apply by rubbing on with one cloth and buffing off with another, "flashes off" beautifully. I also use it on the plastics, chrome, all helps to stop dirt embedding on the surface.
I agree. No need to wait. There is an "Automotive Care & Detailing" forum here that goes into much more detail and will have many more "opinions" on the best wax to use. You might actually get better information posting your question there than in this "interesting discoveries" thread. As to my preferred products, I typically like Maguiars but I decided to try another product that has been getting strong reviews, the Turtle Wax Ceramic Spray wax.
Amazon.com: Turtle Wax 53409 Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Coating - 16 Fl Oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: Turtle Wax 53409 Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Coating - 16 Fl Oz.: Automotive
. I wouldn't actually buy it from Amazon however as it ships in a simple padded envelope and a number of comments have complained that the sprayer is broken upon receipt. Anyway, it is easy to apply (there are numerous Youtube videos that will help you refine the application process). I used too much product during my first application. Anyway, the label suggests two coats will last for up to twelve months. I will say, that even on the pearl white it gives the paint a nice gloss. It is safe to apply over plastic trim, glass, PPF or pretty much anything except tires.
The following users liked this post:
Danushie (08-10-21)
Old 06-13-21, 08:53 PM
pappy97
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default What are your pet peeves/downsides about 2020 Lexus RX

I'm getting dreamy eyes towards 2020 Lexus RX. I want a smooth (As in absorbing bumps in the road) two row SUV, and this appears to be it.

What I want to know from 2020 RX owners, what are your downsides or pet peeves about it?

Nothing is too trivial. If the Cup holders are too close to the climate buttons for holding your large sodas, that's something I'd be interested in knowing. Just want to know what you don't like about it, in case something that you don't like about it might be a dealbreaker for me.

I should add, I'm specifically looking at 2020 since it is the first with Android Auto, which I would be using quite a bit.

Thanks!

Last edited by pappy97; 06-13-21 at 09:20 PM.
Old 06-14-21, 02:15 PM
Nkd15
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pappy97
I'm getting dreamy eyes towards 2020 Lexus RX. I want a smooth (As in absorbing bumps in the road) two row SUV, and this appears to be it.

What I want to know from 2020 RX owners, what are your downsides or pet peeves about it?

Nothing is too trivial. If the Cup holders are too close to the climate buttons for holding your large sodas, that's something I'd be interested in knowing. Just want to know what you don't like about it, in case something that you don't like about it might be a dealbreaker for me.

I should add, I'm specifically looking at 2020 since it is the first with Android Auto, which I would be using quite a bit.

Thanks!
I just purchased a 2021 450h, I believe they're basically the same car. I wish it had wireless android auto. I've purchased an adapter to covert it to wireless, it's called AAWireless, but it'll be a couple months before I receive it due to the chip shortage. Supposedly works without any hiccups.

My large and wide 40oz steel water bottle doesn't fit in any cupholders like it did in my 2010 RAV4.

The seat temperature controls are in a slightly awkward place to turn on and off and to see what level they're turned on to.

But this is just nit-picking. I love the car and still wouldn't have picked anything else. Very smooth and quiet ride. The 450h having the ecvt makes the ride even smoother, really loving it
jollick (06-14-21)
Old 06-14-21, 02:58 PM
bamalam
Advanced

Received 411 Likes on 217 Posts

Thanks!
Here's my one-year review of the 2020 RX: 2020 RX350 – One year, 12.6K miles review - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion
Old 06-14-21, 05:03 PM
mak99
Pit Crew

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Nkd15
The seat temperature controls are in a slightly awkward place to turn on and off and to see what level they're turned on to.
While I agree with NKD's comment about the awkward location, I've been leaving my seat (2019 450h) on AUTO and am quite happy with it deciding when to heat, and when to cool.
jollick (06-14-21)
Old 08-01-21, 03:49 PM
OakvilleRX
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I've had my '20 RX350 since November 2019. While vacuuming the cargo area yesterday I found an extra dedicated storage space under a small cover to the right of the spare tire. Never noticed it before!
The following 2 users liked this post by OakvilleRX:
bamalam (08-02-21), Danushie (08-10-21)
Old 08-01-21, 04:44 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by OakvilleRX
I've had my '20 RX350 since November 2019. While vacuuming the cargo area yesterday I found an extra dedicated storage space under a small cover to the right of the spare tire. Never noticed it before!
Thats where my battery is on my 450h.
Ohtexan (08-04-21)
Old 08-12-21, 11:09 AM
DelLexusSD
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a similar issue with the rear ventilation. The rear vents were not working in the back at all, even with rear passengers, until the dealership adjusted the S-FLOW mode. I had no idea it was a feature.
Old 08-14-21, 07:40 PM
mrolds69
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ohhawk
First impressions coming from a 2013 RX AWD to a similar 2020 version................

* some changes with transmission or shift points as vehicle is more responsive at the lower end but sometimes can't decide where it wants to settle (in normal setting)
* miss some of the storage in center console
* drives very similarly to 2013 but maybe slightly stiffer suspension as advertised. Noticed it thus far rounding corners at 40 and above mph.......less roll
* certainly more safety features now but don't chose to use them all........do like the cross traffic alert in rear camera especially
* wish they still had the true silver ext color choice. Atomic Silver has a taupe look to it but nice
* seems like more room in the back seat area
* dash appears larger and flatter which is fine for placing items on while traveling
* glad I held out for 2020 vs 2019 if only for the bigger screen and closer placement to driver I'm told
* still wish they would incorporate a cup holder for larger diameter cups
* no problem with the new touch pad design
* wife says headrests are different.......she preferred the 2013 which didn't push up against the back of head as much

..........smooth, quiet, comfortable, and dependable just like the 2013.......thus far anyway. Hard to beat
My 2021 RX headrests are adjustable front to rear. I haven't gone through this hole thread, but under the console lid there's a pen holder.

Quick Reply: 4RX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)