RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

4RX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-16, 11:56 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 227 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by joe311
While listening to the radio station and hear a song on the radio, you can rewind and listen to it again. I never knew that was even possible. There's a arrow in the middle next to the station name / artist name and when you click on it and push rewind and it goes back 2 minutes of what you were listening to. So if you want to hear that favorite song again you can go back. It will delete its memory when you switch stations though. but still cool
You can also pause and record the radio while you go run a quick errand.
Old 01-06-16, 12:03 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Final designs for preproduction phase are locked in way in advance of the rapid turnover of cell phones.

So the design of the RX was initialized in 2006, and probably locked in 2012-2013. Even a minute design change would be frowned upon by upper mgt and of course gov regulators.
Old 01-06-16, 12:22 PM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Final designs for preproduction phase are locked in way in advance of the rapid turnover of cell phones.

So the design of the RX was initialized in 2006, and probably locked in 2012-2013. Even a minute design change would be frowned upon by upper mgt and of course gov regulators.
Yep those government regulators would freak out if you made the hole in the console a little bit bigger. Where do you get the information you leave us with . . . there are change being made right up to the production of parts for today's vehicles. That is just plain bunk.
Old 01-07-16, 08:39 AM
Lubber
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Talys1767
Don't know why so much obsession over the storage slot designed for the phone. Even for a phone that fits, it's a errible spot, because it's... closed. There is a huge cubby hole in front of the cupholder, where you can put a phone of practically any size. And it has a wireless charger.

Just use the little slot in the storage console for something else, like loyalty cards, roadside assistance card, etc.
Well said. I wonder the same thing over this subject.

The radio Pause/Repeat is a very nice option. I'll have to try this out! Thanks for the headsup.
Old 01-07-16, 09:01 AM
SFocLA
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Lubber
Well said. I wonder the same thing over this subject.

The radio Pause/Repeat is a very nice option. I'll have to try this out! Thanks for the headsup.
I dont think there is an obsession per say, more stating a minor flaw especially when there is a slot made for the aux cord to pass through.

The radio music is a cool feature, I discovered that as well.
Old 01-07-16, 10:23 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RXOwner
Yep those government regulators would freak out if you made the hole in the console a little bit bigger. Where do you get the information you leave us with . . . there are change being made right up to the production of parts for today's vehicles. That is just plain bunk.
I get it from AMERICA

Last I remember reading, any minute changes to the console must be run up by safety designers to attribute its safety status as part of the vehicle during a crash. Its outdated as is alot of other rules and regulations like no adaptive led beams (not the auto high beam feature) but it is what it is.

Rapid prototying and deployment is something thats really common, but a line change due to faulty design is different from a design change due to customer feedback. They have to due a line change but really have no motivation due to an improvement due to some customer feedback on future options. In addition Lexus is a well oiled machine, when it comes to design and production. They are not audi, and design team from Q7 who were told to literally reconstruct the design of the front end right before launch, pushing it back by 6-7 months lol.

But AMERICA!
Old 01-07-16, 10:24 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SFocLA
I dont think there is an obsession per say, more stating a minor flaw especially when there is a slot made for the aux cord to pass through.

Well Said!
Old 01-07-16, 04:58 PM
GSY
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
The car was designed and finalized when phones were smaller, like the iPhone 4 and 5. There are other places to put your phone. I feel like if I used that compartment, I would be returning to the car many times to get my phone.

I keep my coins in the "iPhone 4 and 5" compartment. Very handy since iPhone 6 does not fit in there.
Old 01-07-16, 05:46 PM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SFocLA

My old iPod fits in there perfectly with the cable attached to the usb outlet... And controlled via the car. 100 times better than the TAPE PLAYER in my 2008 RXh. Pretty sure there were people in 2008 walking around with no clue what a tape player is.
Old 01-08-16, 02:31 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EXP_Cougar
My old iPod fits in there perfectly with the cable attached to the usb outlet... And controlled via the car. 100 times better than the TAPE PLAYER in my 2008 RXh. Pretty sure there were people in 2008 walking around with no clue what a tape player is.
Tape player was actually quite handy compared to having AM-FM CD and no BT. You could plug in one of those tape to aux things, and be golden. Now though tape is clunky compared to USB input and Aux and BT
Old 01-08-16, 06:03 PM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Tape player was actually quite handy compared to having AM-FM CD and no BT. You could plug in one of those tape to aux things, and be golden. Now though tape is clunky compared to USB input and Aux and BT
I actually had that... And later on a bluetooth adapter... Though that slot for the tape was big enough for some of the cell phones I had at the time... So it is useful for that.
Old 01-19-16, 12:08 AM
macdee
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

A few notes on cameras quality between L and basic versions.

I've been driving a fully loaded 450h L version, with panoramic view monitor for a month now. Today, I had to leave my car at the service for a day (for first month check, as well as installing some extra stuff) and was given a base version of 450h as a temporary ride.

What immediately surprised me was that image quality coming from external cameras (both side-view and parking monitor) is noticeably lower than what I have on my L version. When I park, the image from back monitor is quite blurry and not nearly as crisp and clear as the one I have on my L version. Checked with my wife (just to make sure it's not just me) and she completely agrees as well…

So…*looks like models with panoramic view monitor might have muc better quality cameras. And I mean significantly better. As in great vs wtf-is-this-half-megapixel-camera-crap.
Just something to keep in mind when building/choosing your RX models. At least check and compare before you buy.
Old 01-19-16, 09:16 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 117 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by macdee
A few notes on cameras quality between L and basic versions.

I've been driving a fully loaded 450h L version, with panoramic view monitor for a month now. Today, I had to leave my car at the service for a day (for first month check, as well as installing some extra stuff) and was given a base version of 450h as a temporary ride.

What immediately surprised me was that image quality coming from external cameras (both side-view and parking monitor) is noticeably lower than what I have on my L version. When I park, the image from back monitor is quite blurry and not nearly as crisp and clear as the one I have on my L version. Checked with my wife (just to make sure it's not just me) and she completely agrees as well…

So…*looks like models with panoramic view monitor might have muc better quality cameras. And I mean significantly better. As in great vs wtf-is-this-half-megapixel-camera-crap.
Just something to keep in mind when building/choosing your RX models. At least check and compare before you buy.
wow. that's insane!

What extra stuff are you installing if you don't mind me asking and why?
Old 01-19-16, 04:44 PM
macdee
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
wow. that's insane!

What extra stuff are you installing if you don't mind me asking and why?
Yeah… Really strange! Wonder if any other factors could be adding to the image quality appearing to be so much worse. Getting my car back later today so I'll check…

I'm just installing a drive recorder and an anti-radar. These are always useful.

Also, wanted to move the "View" button from bottom row to top, but was told it's not technically possible due to how the buttons array is currently implemented… Dang! The placement of that button couldn't possibly be worse
Old 01-19-16, 07:43 PM
kenforum
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by macdee
Yeah… Really strange! Wonder if any other factors could be adding to the image quality appearing to be so much worse. Getting my car back later today so I'll check…

I'm just installing a drive recorder and an anti-radar. These are always useful.

Also, wanted to move the "View" button from bottom row to top, but was told it's not technically possible due to how the buttons array is currently implemented… Dang! The placement of that button couldn't possibly be worse
Omg can't agree more with your comment about the "view" button. I wish it were located on (or can be moved to) the steering wheel since I use it a lot!

Quick Reply: 4RX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)