RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Options for front license plate holder and breakin question

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-15 | 12:00 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Default Options for front license plate holder and breakin question

Hey Guys,
Might pickup a RX 350 AWD for family duties soon. Wondering what does the OEM front license plate holder look like and what are the options for aftermarket solutions? Only pictures i can find are of the car without any front plates on it.

Also, since this is my first Lexus, how should i go about engine break-in? My prior cars i've driven them hard by varying the RPM's and putting the engine on load but never red lining it.

Last edited by skiracer; 11-19-15 at 12:11 PM.
Old 11-19-15 | 12:30 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Break it in like you normally do. No problems
Old 11-19-15 | 12:35 PM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Break in is like a thing of the past. Today's motors only need you to not push them to max for extended time for first 1000 miles or so. After that you can drive it like you stole it!
Old 11-19-15 | 05:39 PM
HTOWNE
Rookie

If anyone has any ideas for the front license plate, please share. I am dreading putting mine on, but will have to pretty soon. The holes where you drill are set back in the grill so you could always fill them in.
Old 11-19-15 | 05:58 PM
hon3kong
Rookie

Originally Posted by HTOWNE
If anyone has any ideas for the front license plate, please share. I am dreading putting mine on, but will have to pretty soon. The holes where you drill are set back in the grill so you could always fill them in.
There is no need to drill. It comes with a bracket. I saw the bracket still in a plastic bag in a show room RX. Here is the bracket pic on mine. I attached on the other thread.

Old 11-19-15 | 06:07 PM
HTOWNE
Rookie

Originally Posted by hon3kong
There is no need to drill. It comes with a bracket. I saw the bracket still in a plastic bag in a show room RX. Here is the bracket pic on mine. I attached on the other thread.

I saw this picture previously, but cant figure out what you are showing. Sorry, I feel stupid right now.
Old 11-19-15 | 06:43 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Anybody have a pic of what grill looks like when the OEM plate holder is installed? Wondering if its right smack in the middle of the grill
Old 11-19-15 | 08:56 PM
hon3kong
Rookie

Originally Posted by HTOWNE
I saw this picture previously, but cant figure out what you are showing. Sorry, I feel stupid right now.
I outlined the bracket in the pic. It uses 2 long screws and fasteners on top. Screws go through the grille's opening and don't require drilling. The bottom part of the bracket rests on the bottom grille, which the bottom grille doesn't have any opening. So there's no drilling required to put up front plate.

Old 11-19-15 | 09:09 PM
HTOWNE
Rookie

Originally Posted by hon3kong
I outlined the bracket in the pic. It uses 2 long screws and fasteners on top. Screws go through the grille's opening and don't require drilling. The bottom part of the bracket rests on the bottom grille, which the bottom grille doesn't have any opening. So there's no drilling required to put up front plate.

Thank you!
Old 12-18-15 | 08:50 AM
Pyt
Driver School Candidate

Default Front license plate location?

I live in a state where it's required to have a front license plate so I'm wondering if anyone knows where the front license plate goes for this car. Can someone help?
Old 12-18-15 | 09:04 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Pyt
I live in a state where it's required to have a front license plate so I'm wondering if anyone knows where the front license plate goes for this car. Can someone help?
Mid portion of the grille.

Old 12-18-15 | 09:06 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

The plate holder is found next to the spare tire under the cargo area.

Thank GOD we do not have to have front plates in my state!!!

Last edited by RXOwner; 12-18-15 at 10:49 AM.
Old 12-19-15 | 08:42 AM
dfc350
Driver

Break-in is a lot easier with modern cars. Here's what Lexus recommends:

Old 12-25-15 | 01:35 PM
3richard
Driver School Candidate

Default Arizona

We don't have front license plates in Arizona.
Got to say the 16RX looks fab without the plates messing up the edgy lines of the nose end.
Old 02-01-16 | 09:00 PM
kevinmlexu
Driver

When I first saw the pictures of the 2016 RX350, something bothered me about it that I couldn't put my finger on. Now I know....the front license plate. I live in a state where we do have front license plates. Without a traditional bumper across the front, I realize the plate will look silly, wherever you put it. Blorf.....why did they have to "Americanize" the design and put more straight lines so it looks likes one of those GM/Caddy tanks we see all the time now?

Quick Reply: Options for front license plate holder and breakin question