RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

16 RX 350 AWD System

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-15, 09:12 AM
jackgong
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 16 RX 350 AWD System

Does anybody know if the 4 gen Rx 350 all wheel drive system has any improvement over the 3 gen RX 350 AWD? Or they are all the same system?
Old 11-20-15, 09:16 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Betting they are close to the same but with 8 gears in the tranny now.
Old 11-20-15, 09:33 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

you feel the third generation awd needed improvement? i surly cant complain about mine here in the north east. we had a lot of snow last year and i had no problems at all.
Old 11-20-15, 10:01 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

It would've been nice if Lexus decided to make the AWD rear wheel biased rather than FWD most of the time until slip is detected. But I know that would've been kind of an unreasonable request since the RX is a FWD platform.
Old 11-20-15, 10:12 AM
jackgong
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexus114
you feel the third generation awd needed improvement? i surly cant complain about mine here in the north east. we had a lot of snow last year and i had no problems at all.
I am in Florida but plan to move to northeast. Your experience is very helpful!
Old 11-20-15, 10:15 AM
jackgong
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dchar
It would've been nice if Lexus decided to make the AWD rear wheel biased rather than FWD most of the time until slip is detected. But I know that would've been kind of an unreasonable request since the RX is a FWD platform.
Just curious to know if the AWD for the new RX also helps the driving dynamic such as sharp turning like Acura SHAWD.
Old 11-20-15, 04:05 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

The 4th gen improves the AWD should behave like the SH-AWD in the axle bias and also torque control (dont remeber if its an F sport only thing) .

For me, I cannot really say the SHAWD does anything unless you are continuously on the limit with the MDX

EDIT: After researching what Active Torque Control is, it seems some marketers had a run on the terminology to confused customers with terms similar to their german counter parts.

Torque Vectoring/Active Torque control are two very different things.

Torque Vectoring from Acura is side to side distrbution and also front and rear. With 100% in any direction. To be lazy and specific:
SH-AWD operating parameters include:

Direct Yaw Control promotes precise line trace in all conditions
Full-time "active and intelligent" all-wheel drive requires no driver interaction
SH-AWD direct control electromagnetic clutches provide ultra-quick response
Grade logic control allows worry-free starting on steep grades with up to 70 percent of available torque being sent to the rear wheels
Up to 70 percent of available torque can be directed to the rear wheels during hill climb acceleration for maximum traction
Up to 50 percent of available torque can be transferred to the front wheels during cruising to help maximize fuel efficiency
In hard cornering, up to 50 percent of available torque can be directed to the rear axle for enhanced chassis balance and increased cornering capability
Up to 100 percent of the torque sent to the rear axle can be applied to either rear wheel as the traction conditions dictate
37 percent increase in rear torque capacity as compared to the previous MDX VTM-4 system
7 percent reduction in weight compared to the previous VTM-4 system

Simialr types of setups are applicable to the european setups

Lexus on the other hand just uses ATC as a means of describing Front to back distr. with max 50% of torque available to the rear. Nothing crazy

Last edited by coolsaber; 02-14-16 at 05:00 PM.
Old 02-14-16, 04:52 PM
GSY
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

AWD system is very good but do not mistake it for a true 4 x 4 vehicle. It's not.
Old 02-14-16, 05:00 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

See my edit .
Old 02-15-16, 06:21 AM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Didn't Acura dropped SH-AWD?
If so why this thread?
Old 02-15-16, 06:56 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,619 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by bootman
If so why this thread?
No, the '16 MDX is still available with SH-AWD.

Acura has handling and cornering down to a science with a new hydraulically-controlled iteration of its Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™ (SH-AWD®) system. This sophisticated system is designed to enhance high-performance dry-road handling while providing the same all-weather advantages of conventional all-wheel drive. By continuously directing engine power to match weight distribution, available traction, and other conditions, SH-AWD provides seamless power transitions and supreme agility. The feel of such enhanced high-performance cornering is one that simply can't be matched by front, rear or conventional all-wheel drive systems.

The system continuously determines the optimal level of power distribution between the front and rear wheels—and between the rear wheels—based on an analysis of wheel speed, steering angle, lateral G-force and yaw rate.
The new-for-2016 system is 25% lighter and further reduces understeer in a corner or turn by overdriving the outside rear by as much as 2.7% (versus the previous system’s 1.7% maximum) helping the MDX rotate through the turn.
To improve fuel efficiency, up to 90% of the power is sent to the front wheels when cruising in a straight line.
As weight shifts to the rear of the MDX during hard acceleration, the SH-AWD system transfers up to 45% of engine power to the rear wheels to take advantage of available rear-wheel traction.
On a curve under hard acceleration, 70% of effective torque can be directed to the rear—all of which can go to the outside wheel to improve cornering by directing power where weight has shifted.

http://www.acura.com/Features.aspx?m...allwheel_drive
Old 02-15-16, 08:59 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bootman
If so why this thread?
Actually true for their RDX. same system as its cousin the CRV

Sad since the current RDX got a bigger engine but lost powertrain functions

MDX still retains the infamous SH-AWD
Old 02-15-16, 02:50 PM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Actually true for their RDX. same system as its cousin the CRV

Sad since the current RDX got a bigger engine but lost powertrain functions

MDX still retains the infamous SH-AWD
Thanks for the clarification.
Old 02-16-16, 07:20 PM
scfz1000
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
It does as far as i can tell...putting your foot on the gas in the summer or winter and i feel the power in the rear first......in winter the back can swing out..in summer....no torque steer when taking off from a start
Old 02-16-16, 08:28 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by scfz1000
It does as far as i can tell...putting your foot on the gas in the summer or winter and i feel the power in the rear first......in winter the back can swing out..in summer....no torque steer when taking off from a start
rear biased AWD system operate majority of the time in RWD mode while the Lexus operates in FWD mode until you do as you said; introduce slip aka hard launches.

Quick Reply: 16 RX 350 AWD System