RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Regular or Premium Gasoline Required?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-21, 05:07 PM
happychris
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
I think that can safely be called a minimum octane rating recommendation by the manufacturer.
That is how I am reading into it, minimum recommendation not warning..
Old 12-12-21, 05:17 AM
jcg0324
Advanced

Received 281 Likes on 184 Posts

Use "Top Tier Gas" and don't worry about it. Shell, Mobil, Costco, Chevron, Sinclair. They have the best additives to keep your engine clean.
Old 12-12-21, 06:11 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by jcg0324
Use "Top Tier Gas" and don't worry about it. Shell, Mobil, Costco, Chevron, Sinclair. They have the best additives to keep your engine clean.
Just be aware that not being a Top Tier member does not mean your gasoline is not as good, it just means they have not paid their dues to join.

Many people don’t understand what Premium fuel does. It effects the burn rate in order to reduce/eliminate pre-detonation. In simple terms, it slows down the burning of the fuel (real simple terms). What that means to the buyer is that unless the engine needs it to eliminate pre-detonation, it is slowing down the burn needlessly and actually can reduce performance and economy. While the effects may not even be noticeable, the effect on your wallet is real. You are spending extra money needlessly.

Last edited by jjscsix; 12-12-21 at 06:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
redhot47fl (12-12-21)
Old 12-12-21, 06:35 AM
jcg0324
Advanced

What you say is very interesting jj. Do you have insight to the gasoline industry? Are you a chemical engineer? Give us some of your background because you sound very knowledgeable.
Old 12-12-21, 03:37 PM
jjscsix
Racer

What you say is very interesting jj. Do you have insight to the gasoline industry? Are you a chemical engineer? Give us some of your background because you sound very knowledgeable.
None of the above. I’ve been a gear head for over 50 years. I’ve owned a lot of very fast cars, motorcycles and boats. I did some amateur motorcycle road racing, drag raced some Corvettes, and occasional autocrossing. I’ve just read a lot. I try not to post information that I have not researched from multiple sources and that stands the test of time. I’m not always right though.
The following 4 users liked this post by jjscsix:
bamalam (12-12-21), ravenuer (12-12-21), redhot47fl (12-12-21), rxtimes2 (12-13-21)
Old 12-12-21, 08:27 PM
jcg0324
Advanced

Hey it's ok jj, I don't know anything either.
Old 12-13-21, 01:48 AM
dibl
Instructor

Received 689 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
Just be aware that not being a Top Tier member does not mean your gasoline is not as good, it just means they have not paid their dues to join.

Many people don’t understand what Premium fuel does. It effects the burn rate in order to reduce/eliminate pre-detonation. In simple terms, it slows down the burning of the fuel (real simple terms). What that means to the buyer is that unless the engine needs it to eliminate pre-detonation, it is slowing down the burn needlessly and actually can reduce performance and economy. While the effects may not even be noticeable, the effect on your wallet is real. You are spending extra money needlessly.
That is all true, as far as it goes.

Octane rating affects the fuel/air burn rate, as stated. Top Tier is a standard for detergent additives content. Octane rating and the Top Tier standard are unrelated. Top Tier is more than a financial gambit:

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...h-extra-price/

The following 2 users liked this post by dibl:
jcg0324 (12-13-21), jollick (12-13-21)
Old 12-13-21, 05:29 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,301 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Originally Posted by dibl
Top Tier is more than a financial gambit:

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...h-extra-price/
agree, worth it.

The results showed that on average, Top Tier gasoline had 19 times fewer carbon deposits on injectors, intake valves, and in the combustion chamber when compared to regular gasoline.

AAA also found Top Tier gasoline can have a cleansing effect, reducing intake valve deposits by 45 to 72 percent when used over a 5,000-mile interval. Variation in the results is attributed to the detergents used by different brands.

Further, analyzing gas prices over a 12-month period found just a three cent price difference between non-Top Tier and Top Tier gasoline.

Bottom line: For the nominal investment, this study shows that motorists would benefit from using Top Tier gasoline as their primary fuel.
I’d guess JJSCsix was meaning there are still good gas brands that aren’t on on the top tier list. For example I noticed BP dropped off the list this year for some reason, but most conjecture is happened due to a licensing gap, not that they changed their gas detergent mix.
Old 12-13-21, 06:26 AM
jcg0324
Advanced

Is there anything lower than 87? I don't think so. Has anyone's engine crapped out using 87? Not to my knowledge. Use whatever you like.
Old 12-13-21, 08:02 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
agree, worth it.

I’d guess JJSCsix was meaning there are still good gas brands that aren’t on on the top tier list. For example I noticed BP dropped off the list this year for some reason, but most conjecture is happened due to a licensing gap, not that they changed their gas detergent mix.
Correct. You don’t have to belong to Top Tier to have fuel that does the same thing. What surprises me about Top Tier is that they do virtually nothing to promote their fuel partners and I’d bet that only a tiny percent of people who buy gas have ever heard of Top Tier.
Old 12-13-21, 09:32 AM
bamalam
Advanced

Received 416 Likes on 220 Posts

Is there anything lower than 87? I don't think so. Has anyone's engine crapped out using 87? Not to my knowledge. Use whatever you like.
Yes, 85 octane is sold as regular across much of the Rocky Mountain region. Premium in that area is 91 octane, not 93. I recently returned from a 5,000 mile trip from WV and UT, and noted that lower-octane fuels were ubiquitous from western Kansas to western Utah.

BTW, those who have said recently in this thread that higher octane prevents preignition and Top Tier is a fee-based licensing program are correct. Lots of free education is available on YT and the web. I suggest Jason Fenske's Engineering Explained series and the FAQ on the Top Tier site.

Last edited by bamalam; 12-16-21 at 12:37 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by bamalam:
jcg0324 (12-13-21), jjscsix (12-13-21)
Old 12-20-21, 05:23 AM
Elclark75
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2017 RX manual states “mid grade or higher”. I use midgrade. Per the thread I have noticed hesitation in acceleration sometimes but I think that is a common problem overall. If someone knows different please advise.
Old 12-21-21, 07:13 AM
coolbrazz
Advanced

Received 182 Likes on 142 Posts

I wasn't aware of the Top Tier gas country club dues, and was curious why BP wasn't included anymore which is my vehicle drink of choice.
Thanks to all that chimed in on this fact.
Old 12-21-21, 01:55 PM
bamalam
Advanced

Received 416 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by coolbrazz
I wasn't aware of the Top Tier gas country club dues, and was curious why BP wasn't included anymore which is my vehicle drink of choice.
Thanks to all that chimed in on this fact.
BP was the closest Top Tier station to me. I still buy Top Tier, but I'm not convinced it is really better than the larger non-TT retailers. There is little or no price premium for TT fuel in my area, and sometimes Exxon is the lowest cost.

I found a funny thing about BP and their Top Tier license on Bob The Oil Guy: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/bp-no-longer-top-tier.346969/.
Post #4 in that thread shows BP's FAQ entry regarding Top Tier from earlier this year, and what the current FAQ says. They were enthusiastic before, and now claim to be better. My bet is the only thing that changed is the end of their license fee payments....
Old 12-22-21, 06:06 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Originally Posted by Elclark75
My 2017 RX manual states “mid grade or higher”. I use midgrade. Per the thread I have noticed hesitation in acceleration sometimes but I think that is a common problem overall. If someone knows different please advise.
I find it interesting they would use the term “mid grade”. As has been stated in previous posts, mid grade means different things in different parts of the country. What really matters is the actual octane rating
The following users liked this post:
ravenuer (12-22-21)

Quick Reply: Regular or Premium Gasoline Required?