RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Regular or Premium Gasoline Required?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-17, 02:03 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 506 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Agreed, use the gas your car was designed for, simple as that.

I fill up at Costco so they circulate a lot of premium gas. I wonder if octane booster is added at the pump though - I can't imagine a fuel truck carrying separate compartments for Regular, Plus, and Premium.
You need to imagine it as it is true. I worked in the Texaco Regional accounting office for years and the tank truck have separated compartments.

My local BP station says that the regular tank gets filled 5 times more than the premium tanks due to the cost difference. Octane does deteriorate with time.
The following users liked this post:
ericsan13 (04-15-17)
Old 04-14-17, 07:13 AM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I fill up at Costco so they circulate a lot of premium gas. I wonder if octane booster is added at the pump though - I can't imagine a fuel truck carrying separate compartments for Regular, Plus, and Premium.
Costco doesn't have octane booster at the pump but interestingly enough, they have a unique system to inject their fuel additives (detergents) at the pump onsite whereas most other stations have it added at the depot. This allows them to get the lowest price.
ericsan13 (04-15-17)
Old 04-16-17, 09:38 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

The car was engineered to run on a MINIMUM of 91 RON or 87 at the pump so it is design to run BETTER on a higher octane. The computer compensate for lower octane, but it never cease to amaze me how people interpret the wording in the manual, as if one MUST use the 87.
I use the middle premium just to be sure, I keep my vehicles for a long time
Hubs (04-16-17)
Old 04-16-17, 11:24 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Keep in mind that any performance benefits from using a higher octane fuel with happen over several tanks of gas.
The computer is designed to make small adjustments as needed. So dont expect any immediate results.
Old 04-17-17, 07:58 AM
freshwater
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I been using Regular in my 2017 RX350 for last 5 months and ride has hesitation and knocking since Day 1. Last 2 tanks I switch to Shell Premium and can see the difference. SUV seeing very less hesitation and much smoother to Drive and hardly any knocking.
I think Lexus Sales guys should stop telling people to use Regular as its no fun driving these expensive SUVs on a Regular Gas. I think its a Lexus Sales Gimmick to attract more customer by advertising that the car will run on Regular and no need to use premium.
I am sure Car will run on Regular but with a ride full of knocking and hesitation... I am thinking to try 89 also and see the difference between 89 and 91.
kkimbo (07-31-20)
Old 04-17-17, 09:08 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by freshwater
I been using Regular in my 2017 RX350 for last 5 months and ride has hesitation and knocking since Day 1. Last 2 tanks I switch to Shell Premium and can see the difference. SUV seeing very less hesitation and much smoother to Drive and hardly any knocking.I think Lexus Sales guys should stop telling people to use Regular as its no fun driving these expensive SUVs on a Regular Gas. I think its a Lexus Sales Gimmick to attract more customer by advertising that the car will run on Regular and no need to use premium.I am sure Car will run on Regular but with a ride full of knocking and hesitation... I am thinking to try 89 also and see the difference between 89 and 91.
I've used 1/2 tank of the fill-up that came with the car and have not experienced any hesitation, but I don't know what octane they filled it up with, I assume regular 87, when down to 1/2 I filled with premium 91 and when down 1/2 again I filled with premium. The car was designed to run as low as 87 if you are experiencing problems I would change gas station 1st just to see if elsewhere the fuel is better and if it persists I would take in for service, it should still be under warranty. The computer should make the engine run smooth by altering the timing.I have the same car & year.
Old 04-17-17, 09:16 AM
sderman
Advanced

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
Default More Additives in Premiun vs. Regular?

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find it. I know that the Top Tier gasolines in all grades (I use Exxon-Mobil) promise sufficient additives/detergents to protect the engines. But still, is the additive packages greater in premium vs. regular, or is it exactly the same in all grades?
Old 04-17-17, 09:19 AM
Gibster
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I been using Regular in my 2017 RX350 for last 5 months and ride has hesitation and knocking since Day
I've used Shell regular in my '16 since day 1 and have never experienced hesitation or knocking.

Have you talked to the Lexus service manager about the problems you've been having using regular?

The fuel requirements are determined by the manufacturer and not the sales people. I'd be upset if I had to spend $15 more per tank (regular vs premium) to get the car to run correctly.
Old 04-17-17, 09:33 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 506 Likes on 382 Posts

I been using Regular in my 2017 RX350 for last 5 months and ride has hesitation and knocking since Day 1. Last 2 tanks I switch to Shell Premium and can see the difference. SUV seeing very less hesitation and much smoother to Drive and hardly any knocking.
I think Lexus Sales guys should stop telling people to use Regular as its no fun driving these expensive SUVs on a Regular Gas. I think its a Lexus Sales Gimmick to attract more customer by advertising that the car will run on Regular and no need to use premium.
I am sure Car will run on Regular but with a ride full of knocking and hesitation... I am thinking to try 89 also and see the difference between 89 and 91.
I would get you vehicle to the dealer as it should not knock on regular!.

As far as the hesitation, I remember it well when I had my 2016 RX350 and it was due to the tranny keeping it in too high of a gear in my opinion. Nothing to do with the gas.

Like I said before what gas you use is up to you, but most of todays vehicle just plain do not care.

ALSO, The "knock sensor" is dynamic and does not take several tanks to adjust, it is listening for the knock and takes appropriate action instantly.

Last edited by ggebhardt; 04-17-17 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-17-17, 10:43 AM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I am sure Car will run on Regular but with a ride full of knocking and hesitation...
No knocking or hesitation in my Lexus. Perhaps something amiss in your car.
Old 04-17-17, 11:09 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by sderman
Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find it. I know that the Top Tier gasolines in all grades (I use Exxon-Mobil) promise sufficient additives/detergents to protect the engines. But still, is the additive packages greater in premium vs. regular, or is it exactly the same in all grades?
Yes the additives are present in greater number in premium than regular, it's these that contribute to the higher price, the xtra refining only a little bit.
Old 04-17-17, 11:15 AM
615tpc
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

it shouldn't knock at all..the system will adjust timing and performance and it happens as soon as there is any hint of impending knock...it would be unlikely that it would actually knock unless there is a defect in the knock sensor and system. Keep filling consistently with 91 and you should see an improvement.
Old 04-17-17, 12:15 PM
freshwater
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think those knocks might be more droning and humming then real knocks. So I might have said it wrong when I mention Knocks. But Hesitation is definitely improved in lower gears with 91 and in Higher speed like 55+ it Cruises more smoothly..
Other thing is when you turn right from a dead stop it makes that noise also even in Sport Mode.
Old 04-17-17, 03:24 PM
Torii
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

my old 06 is250 awd ran 87 gas for 125k miles no issues...

anyone care to add how altitude has an effect? I live at 6000ft asl. many sell 86 octane and not 87
Old 04-17-17, 04:04 PM
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, several of you are saying the change to 91 gas will show an immediate improvement. Other are saying it will take 2-3 tanks or more to show any difference. Which is it?

Quick Reply: Regular or Premium Gasoline Required?