RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX with Rear Seat Entertainment

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-15, 10:30 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 214 Likes on 146 Posts

Because we already have tablets in our home that are used for "other" things. The sole purpose of the RSES is exactly what it stands for...Rear Seat.......etc.

I don't want to have to remember to grab tablets from the back of my vehicle each and every single time I get in and out. That becomes tiresome. I don't carry a purse either, so where do I store that thing while I'm at the mall?

The current gen RSES installed in the new LX and RX seem to be HD. They have HDMI in plugs. It says it directly on the Lexus.com.

"REAR-SEAT ENTERTAINMENT
The available 11.6-inch dual-screen Rear-Seat Entertainment System* enables two video sources to be viewed at the same time on LCD screens behind the front headrests. Using a single remote control, one can be used as a DVD/CD player, for instance, and the other as a game console or audio player via an HDMI input. For your convenience, a wireless remote, wireless headphones* and a two-prong AC power outlet are also included."

Last edited by jtrue28; 12-14-15 at 10:36 AM.
Old 12-14-15, 10:48 AM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Lexus OEM System $2K.

My system: $75 for tablet, $14 for mount. Note, if you have a bigger tablet than the 7" i'm currently using, i'd get another mount since it likely won't be a good fit since the Lexus seat is pretty thick...
Old 12-14-15, 11:51 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Because we already have tablets in our home that are used for "other" things. The sole purpose of the RSES is exactly what it stands for...Rear Seat.......etc.

I don't want to have to remember to grab tablets from the back of my vehicle each and every single time I get in and out. That becomes tiresome. I don't carry a purse either, so where do I store that thing while I'm at the mall?

The current gen RSES installed in the new LX and RX seem to be HD. They have HDMI in plugs. It says it directly on the Lexus.com.

"REAR-SEAT ENTERTAINMENT
The available 11.6-inch dual-screen Rear-Seat Entertainment System* enables two video sources to be viewed at the same time on LCD screens behind the front headrests. Using a single remote control, one can be used as a DVD/CD player, for instance, and the other as a game console or audio player via an HDMI input. For your convenience, a wireless remote, wireless headphones* and a two-prong AC power outlet are also included."
Definitely first-world problems...haha. There are plenty of compartments/areas in the car to store it. If kids have to watch something on the RSES for a 15-30 minutes ride to the mall, then there's a problem right there. The RSES seems important to you, so you probably should try to find a car or order a car with it, but I'm still sticking with useless, expensive feature.
Old 12-14-15, 12:26 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Not "me"...since this would NOT be my vehicle. I'll let you all figure that one out.

The current RX has that system, so it has become their most favorite option. We have the tablet in my GX...and it gets the job done, but again, the battery can be troublesome in the summertime.

Definitely 1st world problems.
Old 12-14-15, 11:00 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I too interested in rear seat entertainment because it makes my life why easier. I currently have a 2014 GS 350 and use the ipad tablets with mounts and here are the negatives and positives of them.

Negatives:
1. You will spend tons of money on tablet mounts because most are cheaply made and will break with constant use. I bought a total of 5 pairs in two years. "Note: I mount 2 ipads."

2. They will rattle when on bumpy roads and is VERY annoying. With or without the tablets mounted they will make tons or rattle nosies. Some mounts are better than others.

3. They require recharging so you cant use it indefinatly unless you want to use a power cord which I think makes the interior not as clean looking with wires hanging.

4. Because your afraid of the ipads getting stolen. You will constantly take them on and off which wears down the clamping mechanism and thus breaking the mount. Also i tend to put ipad in the back of the front seats where the magazine pockets are. Now those pockets behind front seats are loose because of using it to store ipads.

5. When bracket installed to mount ipad you have to reposition the head rest up a good two inches to accommodate the mount. This will make the headreast too high and making the front seat drivers and passengers head feel awkard and uncomfortable.

6. Kids will be watching movies anyways whether or not you choose to use a tablet. Because most kids wont be able to reach the ipad to use for games and other activities otherwise you would not even need a tablet mount. Just have the kids hold the tablet on there hands so you will negate the need for mounts.

7. Its like a work out routine. Taking care of children is hard enough. Trying to get two kids into a car and getting them ready can be very time consuming and difficult but add to it the additional process it will take you to mount a tablet and unmount one every single time you get in and out off the car gets tedious and old real quick. In comparison my brother just visit us for Christmas and is staying with us for a few weeks. He drives a mini van equipped with rear seat enertainment and my kids love that van. I ask my daughter if she want to take my GS out and she tells me she wants to sit in my brothers Van because it has the cool tv screen in the rear seats. I borrowed my brother's van and i can tell you it makes life alot easier just to jump in and start the car and just go without worrying about mounting and turning on and off the ipad and taking it off the mounts every time I park the car. The movie automatically start as soon as you turn on the car. Worry free motoring.

Pros:

1. More content if you have tablet but its really useless if left mounted.

2. Cheaper option than factory RES systems.

3. You can use the tablets at home too.

Id rather buy the RES system from lexus and spare me the annoyances and drawbacks of mounting tablets to the front seats. I am DONE using tablets and tablet mounts and will buy my next vehicle with RES system.

Last edited by AL13NV8D3R; 12-14-15 at 11:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
cliffhokie (01-30-19)
Old 12-15-15, 06:06 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Couldn't have said it any better. I 2nd everything @AL13NV8D3R said.

Why they didn't add the same Blu-Ray head unit that is in the LX is beyond me. They put the same screens in. Stupid.
Old 12-15-15, 08:10 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Couldn't have said it any better. I 2nd everything @AL13NV8D3R said.

Why they didn't add the same Blu-Ray head unit that is in the LX is beyond me. They put the same screens in. Stupid.
It all boils down to cost cutting. If you want bluray in your vehicle you have to shell out another $30k and buy the LX. But i dont mind the regular DVD in the new RX because they will be used primarily for our children and not really for us adults.

Last edited by AL13NV8D3R; 12-15-15 at 08:13 AM.