RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Lexus Safety System+ (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-17, 09:50 AM
guxu
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mspearl95
Does anyone know what happens if you don’t put your hands back on the wheel when the LKA warning sounds?
It will keep beeping. And the LKA will keep working.
Old 11-07-17, 10:00 AM
guxu
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I use ACC + LKA whenever I travel long distance. Yes, I needed to correct the LKA from time to time. But without LKA, you need to control the wheel anyway. Say 50% of the time LKA is good, and the effort to correct LKA is 50% of the full control, the effort to keep the vehicle in the lane with LKA is only 25% of the full manual control. I will take the 25% any day.
Old 11-08-17, 08:30 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 227 Likes on 180 Posts

Does anyone know what happens if you don’t put your hands back on the wheel when the LKA warning sounds?
Nothing. It just keeps beeping at you. I have gone down a fairly straight, empty highway (hands close by) for several minutes and it remained activated.
The following users liked this post:
mspearl95 (11-08-17)
Old 11-08-17, 09:26 AM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
Nothing. It just keeps beeping at you. I have gone down a fairly straight, empty highway (hands close by) for several minutes and it remained activated.
ah cool. I was wondering if it had the capability to pull the car over and stop it- say like the driver passed out or something.
Old 11-08-17, 08:57 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 227 Likes on 180 Posts

ah cool. I was wondering if it had the capability to pull the car over and stop it- say like the driver passed out or something.
Supposedly the new LS will do that.
Old 02-06-18, 08:17 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by ut2sua
The all speed cruise control and be set/activated at a full stop. The system will default to a speed of 28 MPH. When the car in front of you move, push your cruise control stick up and the car will follow the car in front automatically.
There must have been something wrong with the loaner car that had the adaptive cruise control - it was horrid! Real jerky & picked up the wrong lane on slight curves. I’m glad I didn’t buy that system as it royalty sucked on the loaner.
Old 02-06-18, 02:16 PM
ut2sua
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1

There must have been something wrong with the loaner car that had the adaptive cruise control - it was horrid! Real jerky & picked up the wrong lane on slight curves. I’m glad I didn’t buy that system as it royalty sucked on the loaner.
I think you probably got a defective unit. The dynamic cruise steers the RX for me before the car gets close to the lane markers when the "lane centering" (or something like that) feature is turned on. Only the RX and one other model has that based on the chart I saw at the sale man's desk. I know our 2017 ES doesn't have that. In short, it has been a pretty safe experience for me so far, but one will need to be at least half alert as the car is not meant to be auto piloted just yet.
Old 02-06-18, 02:22 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by ut2sua
I think you probably got a defective unit. The dynamic cruise steers the RX for me before the car gets close to the lane markers when the "lane centering" (or something like that) feature is turned on. Only the RX and one other model has that based on the chart I saw at the sale man's desk. I know our 2017 ES doesn't have that. In short, it has been a pretty safe experience for me so far, but one will need to be at least half alert as the car is not meant to be auto piloted just yet.
This was on an ES model. That’s not a car I would buy. I don’t want any “self driving” vehicle.
Old 02-06-18, 07:42 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 156 Likes on 125 Posts

This was on an ES model. That’s not a car I would buy. I don’t want any “self driving” vehicle.
There's a lot of misunderstandings regarding the Lexus Steering Assist feature. It is not meant to be a self steering vehicle where you can just let go and the car will follow the lanes faithfully. It is only meant to "assist" with the steering in that it takes away some of the effort to move the wheel. It actually makes the car feel more neutral in its stance on the road and has the effect of making the drive less tiresome. I'm not good at putting things into words, that's the best way I can describe it, a much easier drive which is what Lexus is all about - smooth, quiet, refined, unrushed, cool/warm etc, so you arrive at your destination relaxed and refreshed.
Old 02-06-18, 07:57 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
There's a lot of misunderstandings regarding the Lexus Steering Assist feature. It is not meant to be a self steering vehicle where you can just let go and the car will follow the lanes faithfully. It is only meant to "assist" with the steering in that it takes away some of the effort to move the wheel. It actually makes the car feel more neutral in its stance on the road and has the effect of making the drive less tiresome. I'm not good at putting things into words, that's the best way I can describe it, a much easier drive which is what Lexus is all about - smooth, quiet, refined, unrushed, cool/warm etc, so you arrive at your destination relaxed and refreshed.
I had no issue with the lane change assist steering. My problem was the adaptive cruise control.
Old 02-07-18, 07:07 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Actually I think it is only meant to momentarily help if you are distracted or nodding off while driving.
Old 02-07-18, 08:19 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

I use the smart cruise religiously and it works for me flawlessly.
Old 02-07-18, 09:05 AM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

I had no issue with the lane change assist steering. My problem was the adaptive cruise control.
You can always shut off the dynamic cc and just use normal.
Old 02-07-18, 11:33 AM
ut2sua
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Agree. The best benefit, especially on longer trip, for me is to be able to take my eyes off the road for half a second, if needed, knowing that the car will brake or steer me back into the right lane if necessary.
Old 02-07-18, 11:42 AM
tomtom74
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I used the adaptive cruise control on I-5 for 80+ miles straight, and it worked without any problem.

Quick Reply: Lexus Safety System+ (merged threads)