RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Lexus Safety System+ (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-17 | 11:44 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Ah! I just meant that they wanted $11,000 cash difference and I was at $10,000 cash difference. But they caved. It's a done deal
Old 02-05-17 | 03:11 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
I didn't stop at a stop light on purpose on a Dry , clean road and had my foot just above the brakes ready just in case it did not.
and it should not.
Old 02-08-17 | 02:31 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Default More on Auto Braking

So if I'm creeping along in heavy traffic and close to the car in front of me, will my RX stop if I slip off the brake and (otherwise) hit the car in front of me? It did not seem like that would happen today as I played with it a little. Must I adjust some sort of sensitivity setting?
Old 02-08-17 | 03:34 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by daryll40
So if I'm creeping along in heavy traffic and close to the car in front of me, will my RX stop if I slip off the brake and (otherwise) hit the car in front of me? It did not seem like that would happen today as I played with it a little. Must I adjust some sort of sensitivity setting?
There are sensitivity settings you can adjust.

Sidenote
The current issue with semi-autonomous features is exactly what this thread is all about. Everyone knows their car is optioned with a particular safety setup, however no one knows what it does, how it operates, operating tolerances or if even operates. It should become part of new vehicle intros, customers need to know the limits, the systems in layman terms, cause without that knowledge the only way you learn what system does, and its limits is through an actual onroad interaction which is horrible 1st intro .
Old 02-08-17 | 04:59 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

So perhaps someone can tell me how to make it "most sensitive".
Old 02-08-17 | 05:00 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

FYI. It will not!!

I believe the auto braking starts at 5 or 7 MPH.
Old 02-08-17 | 05:01 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

So perhaps someone can tell me how to make it "most sensitive".
most sensitive in the display in your speedomotor. SHould be under settings
Old 02-08-17 | 05:06 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
FYI. It will not!!

I believe the auto braking starts at 5 or 7 MPH.

OK, I guess I need a tutorial on this. Seems counter-intuitive that auto braking won't stop when creeping in traffic. But they must have their reasons. I probably SHOULD make an appt with the technology guy. But maybe one of you can point me to a YouTube tutorial for a quick learn. It's just not clear to me how this auto braking works, both front and back, and what I can expect and NOT expect.
Old 02-08-17 | 05:29 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

I had an ES loaner and the auto braking worked with creeping. I'd imagine it would be the same with the RX.
Old 02-08-17 | 05:47 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by yardie876
I had an ES loaner and the auto braking worked with creeping. I'd imagine it would be the same with the RX.
That's useful. I THINK mine slowed the car down, but it wasn't clear. There was definitely no indicator light to say so...but maybe it did feel like slowing-braking. But I got VERY close (on purpose) and it did not stop in time for me to decide that I could not risk testing any closer.
Old 02-08-17 | 05:48 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

That's useful. I THINK mine slowed the car down, but it wasn't clear. There was definitely no indicator light to say so...but maybe it did feel like slowing-braking. But I got VERY close (on purpose) and it did not stop in time for me to decide that I could not risk testing any closer.
No it definitely let me know with a BRAKE! slapped on the speedo lol.
Old 02-08-17 | 05:55 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by yardie876
No it definitely let me know with a BRAKE! slapped on the speedo lol.
Then I'm doing something wrong or the set up is wrong. I need to get to the bottom of this.
Old 02-09-17 | 07:02 AM
StatCoder
Driver School Candidate

There really isn't a way to safely test this on real vehicles or pedestrians because it is designed to brake at the last possible second and end up only inches away or even a with a minor impact. The YouTube videos of test drives are using life-size renderings of vehicles and moving pedestrians. The manual lists all kinds of conditions in which it may not work so there's no guarantee of anything. An acquaintance of mine was at a Volvo dealership in a test-ride of a new car and the salesman tried to demonstrate their pre-collision system by driving into something and there was a crash hard enough to deploy the airbags.

I have it set to more sensitive and system alerted a few times as I was coming up behind someone turning right into a parking lot. You're going too fast to completely stop if the car in front stops but you can easily swerve left to avoid a crash if necessary. I had the full system activate recently because I merged into a left-turn lane coming up pretty fast on a line of cars. I felt I had time to stop but the alarm sounded, display turned red, brake pedal pushed down further, seat belt tightened, and the ABS brakes activated - not to a complete stop, though. I was actually more worried about who might be coming up behind me than what was going on in front. I don't think the full deployment varies with sensitivity adjustment - just the alert.

Finally, I've noticed what it does not alert you to - things like deer and pedestrians walking on roads parallel to the lanes. I've had close encounters with both and there wasn't a peep from the system. It's looking for vehicles and pedestrians moving perpendicular to the road in front of you. Perhaps "Deer Detection" will be coming in a future upgrade.

Last edited by StatCoder; 02-09-17 at 07:47 AM.
Old 02-09-17 | 07:12 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

This is very good info. I'll quit trying to "test" it.
Old 02-10-17 | 03:41 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

What you experienced was not the safety system.

When it engages there is no doubt what so ever.

When it happened to me my foot was on the gas peddle and all of a sudden the alarm went off, the gas peddle was disconnected, seat belt tightened, the brakes went into full emergency braking. It is quite dramatic.

I get alarms all the time if like the car in front of me is going to turn off the road and I do not brake because I see that he will be gone before I get there. It will alarm with BRAKE in red on the screen!

You test does not mean yours is not working.

Quick Reply: Lexus Safety System+ (merged threads)