RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

F Sport Questions- Tow Hitch and Also Roof Rails

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-15 | 09:42 AM
SFocLA
Driver

Default F Sport Questions- Tow Hitch and Also Roof Rails

Question for F Sport Owners- I read in order to have the hitch you would have to remove a few things? I vaguely remember reading DChar saying something.

Also for those who have a panoramic sunroof (not necessarily f sport only)- can you confirm you can install factory cross bars?

Pics would be great.

Trying to figure out how to fit my mountain bikes.
Old 12-07-15 | 10:37 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Nope not me. If the RX has a tow hitch, then the bumper hides it very well because I don't see it.

Here's a pic of an RX with the crossbars. There seems to be quite a bit of clearance between the bars and the sunroof, so it should be able to clear it.

Old 12-07-15 | 10:42 AM
SFocLA
Driver

Thanks for the cross bar pics, that model I am assuming has panoramic sun roof.

For the tow hitch I guess I am getting confused - " For RX F SPORT models, the performance damper and stabilizer bar must be removed when the tow hitch receiver is installed."

After hitch is installed - damper and stabilizer can be re-installed I am assuming and not affect performance, right?
Old 12-07-15 | 12:17 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

I'm not sure if the car in the pic has the panoramic sunroof (doubt it), but the point of the picture was just to show you the clearance between the crossbars and the roof of the car.

I'm not an expert on towing related stuff, but if you connect everything back up (performance damper and stabilizer bar) after installing the hitch, it shouldn't affect performance.
Old 01-04-16 | 02:01 PM
SFocLA
Driver

I got my F sport w/panoramic sun roof and realizing that the bars on top do not have an holes or anything indented to install the crossbars.

I also read from other members that a roof rack will not work with panoramic sunroof. Any one find a solution??

My Audi Q5 has a panoramic sun roof and the bars have slots to install the oem crossbars, so I am a bit worried.
Old 01-04-16 | 02:40 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SFocLA
I got my F sport w/panoramic sun roof and realizing that the bars on top do not have an holes or anything indented to install the crossbars.

I also read from other members that a roof rack will not work with panoramic sunroof. Any one find a solution??

My Audi Q5 has a panoramic sun roof and the bars have slots to install the oem crossbars, so I am a bit worried.
I wonder if you could replace the roof bars with ones with holes for the crossbars...
Old 01-04-16 | 03:00 PM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dchar
I wonder if you could replace the roof bars with ones with holes for the crossbars...
I'm sure there's a reason.
Old 01-04-16 | 04:26 PM
SFocLA
Driver

This is terrible news if my salesman is in fact correct. I asked him for 3 things: crossbars, tow hitch, and mudflaps....

1. The 20016 Lexus RX350 F sport that you have has a panoramic roof, so roof rack and cross bar will not be available for it. --- If this is true I hope Yakima or Thule come out with a solution otherwise this design was a huge fail. Again my Audi Q5 has the pano sun roof with crossbars no problem.

2. You are correct about removing performance damper and stabilizer bar when installing the tow hitch and the vehicle must have a tow prep package when purchasing the vehicle and yours did not have it. I am also not sure if it is easy to install it. -- I did not know I need a prep package, thats lame AF.

3. No mudflaps available for F-Sport. -- zinger
Old 01-04-16 | 07:06 PM
Pfizer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SFocLA
This is terrible news if my salesman is in fact correct. I asked him for 3 things: crossbars, tow hitch, and mudflaps....

1. The 20016 Lexus RX350 F sport that you have has a panoramic roof, so roof rack and cross bar will not be available for it. --- If this is true I hope Yakima or Thule come out with a solution otherwise this design was a huge fail. Again my Audi Q5 has the pano sun roof with crossbars no problem.

2. You are correct about removing performance damper and stabilizer bar when installing the tow hitch and the vehicle must have a tow prep package when purchasing the vehicle and yours did not have it. I am also not sure if it is easy to install it. -- I did not know I need a prep package, thats lame AF.

3. No mudflaps available for F-Sport. -- zinger
Here is a video with a black f sport with mud flaps

Old 01-06-16 | 12:32 PM
SFocLA
Driver

Originally Posted by Pfizer
Here is a video with a black f sport with mud flaps

2016 Lexus RX 350 F Sport Video 001 - YouTube
Nice find, anyone else with F sport confirm this?

I talked to 3 lexus salesmen from diff dealerships all confirming f sport will not work with mud flaps.
Old 01-06-16 | 02:07 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

My dealer didn't mention any problems adding mud guards when the special order was submitted on my 450h F-Sport.
Old 01-07-16 | 09:11 AM
SFocLA
Driver

Originally Posted by kitlz
My dealer didn't mention any problems adding mud guards when the special order was submitted on my 450h F-Sport.
Let me know when you get it with pics! please.
Old 01-07-16 | 09:48 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Might be a while. My order was submitted but not accepted yet. April is probably realistic.
Old 02-24-16 | 06:17 PM
SFocLA
Driver

There is hope for cross bars for panoramic sunroof owners...

I have been looking on aftermarket websites for a while now, checking up on them consistently. I discovered Thule finally released crossbars for the 2015 NX that have factory roof rails (which they didnt have until recently). From what I can see and watch in the youtube video the cross bars do not need those factory indents/inserts for the cross bars to be attached.

So if the 2015 NX just got cross bars, I wonder how long it will take the RX to get some. It is looking promising!!

Obviously once Thule releases crossbars for RX, its not made for the pano roof, but I think it will work unless the side rails are different height and width. You would just install and remember not to open the roof when using the cross bars.

NX flush rails

Old 05-05-16 | 05:20 PM
fheapes
Driver School Candidate

Any new news on rails for the RX with panoramic roof?

Quick Reply: F Sport Questions- Tow Hitch and Also Roof Rails