RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

RX F-sport with 20" and 22" wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-16, 03:10 PM
winsalem
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

My obviously subjective opinion:

I think totally dark or black rims just look dirty. I don't know who or what they are meant to emulate or imitate. They don't define luxury or sport to me, but rather seem to be like some attempt to look cool. But then I'm a believer in totally factory stock cars with no add-ons or other customization. A Lexus is already finished so I don't understand why someone wants their Lexus to look non-stock -- as these blacked-out rims suggest. Or why people think they have the skills to improve the car's original design. They're probably the same delusional guys who think a 'hair system' is undetectable to women, and makes them look young(er).

"But I want to make it my own" or "unique" or "one-of-a-kind" -- sorry but that's what some rednecks do to old used cars in the South. Bless their hearts, but any visible non-factory add-ons on a brand new Lexus are akin to letting a pair of foam dice hang from the rearview mirror.

[Even if I weren't a redneck (which I am) I'd still wince at some of the crap my brethren slap onto what could be beautiful vintage GTO's, Camaros et al if they just spent that money restoring them to their original beauty and otherwise left them the F alone.]

I also can't understand why any Lexus owner would drive their new car off the lot with a ridiculous license plate frame that shows the dealership's name. It's advertising, and owners aren't getting paid to wear such a label; the Lexus itself is enough advertisement for the brand and needs nothing further. Is there some status in having bought a car from a certain dealer? (If yes, how desperately low is that car buyer's self esteem?) Ruins any car when I see that.

Finally, I don't mind rims that are partially greyed- or blacked-out (like those on my RX 350) -- as long as they are stock. For instance, I think the factory multi-spoked F-Sport wheels are absolutely perfect and complement that model in a very solid, understated way. Anything else screams Pep Boys to me.

Just my $.02 -- your mileage may vary. And now: Let the haters (and customizers) begin.
Old 01-15-16, 03:56 PM
ted920
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by winsalem

I think totally dark or black rims just look dirty. I don't know who or what they are meant to emulate or imitate. They don't define luxury or sport to me, but rather seem to be like some attempt to look cool. But then I'm a believer in totally factory stock cars with no add-ons or other customization. A Lexus is already finished so I don't understand why someone wants their Lexus to look non-stock -- as these blacked-out rims suggest. Or why people think they have the skills to improve the car's original design. They're probably the same delusional guys who think a 'hair system' is undetectable to women, and makes them look young(er).

"But I want to make it my own" or "unique" or "one-of-a-kind" -- sorry but that's what some rednecks do to old used cars in the South. Bless their hearts, but any visible non-factory add-ons on a brand new Lexus are akin to letting a pair of foam dice hang from the rearview mirror.

[Even if I weren't a redneck (which I am) I'd still wince at some of the crap my brethren slap onto what could be beautiful vintage GTO's, Camaros et al if they just spent that money restoring them to their original beauty and otherwise left them the F alone.]

I also can't understand why any Lexus owner would drive their new car off the lot with a ridiculous license plate frame that shows the dealership's name. It's advertising, and owners aren't getting paid to wear such a label; the Lexus itself is enough advertisement for the brand and needs nothing further. Is there some status in having bought a car from a certain dealer? (If yes, how desperately low is that car buyer's self esteem?) Ruins any car when I see that.

Finally, I don't mind rims that are partially greyed- or blacked-out (like those on my RX 350) -- as long as they are stock. For instance, I think the factory multi-spoked F-Sport wheels are absolutely perfect and complement that model in a very solid, understated way. Anything else screams Pep Boys to me.

Just my $.02 -- your mileage may vary. And now: Let the haters (and customizers) begin.

EVERYTHING STATED ABOVE IS JUST TOTALLY WRONG!

IMO
Old 01-15-16, 03:57 PM
ted920
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LXsalesman
What do you guys think of this? I'm kind of a fan of it!

Looks Good.

are those really 20s?

just needs tint on the front windows and black out the grill trim and you're in business.
Old 01-15-16, 04:29 PM
Boomin
Racer

Received 424 Likes on 256 Posts

I welcome your .02, its all good.
The only part I agree with is the license plate frame, I stop them. I hate that crap and I go one step further and take off the badges that comes with the car because I believe its so much better being clean looking.
Old 01-15-16, 08:45 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

I had powder coated gloss black rims on a prior car. Looks dope when freshly washed, but brake dust would show wayyy too easily on it and they always looked dirty. Flat black would be better since it won't show brake dust as easily.
Old 01-15-16, 09:16 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 230 Likes on 181 Posts

I think powder coating the dark silver and machined finish ruins the design of the wheels; covers up the details and makes the rims look smaller.

Even though the plastic wheel arches are black, it would improve the all black look if they were painted and matched to the body. The luxury package wheels with black inserts would improve it too.

Last edited by dchar; 01-15-16 at 09:23 PM.
Old 01-16-16, 07:07 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 552 Likes on 401 Posts

Very well said and I totally agree! Why waste extra $$ that serves no purpose. Think of all the extra add ons people add that does not increase the value of the car. If I don't like the factory wheels on the car I don't buy it. I would love to have chrome wheels on my 14 RX but it makes no sense what so ever to spend the extra money. I did buy a pair of W-Techs for the front of my RX because the all weather mats don't cover enough to protect the carpet. Now those serve a purpose but, I'll never get my extra $120.00 back from them when I sell the car.
Old 01-16-16, 11:17 AM
Lubber
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by charley95
Very well said and I totally agree! Why waste extra $$ that serves no purpose. Think of all the extra add ons people add that does not increase the value of the car. If I don't like the factory wheels on the car I don't buy it. I would love to have chrome wheels on my 14 RX but it makes no sense what so ever to spend the extra money. I did buy a pair of W-Techs for the front of my RX because the all weather mats don't cover enough to protect the carpet. Now those serve a purpose but, I'll never get my extra $120.00 back from them when I sell the car.
Buying any new car is a very poor investment if you are looking at it that way. Cars are not bought with worrying about getting money back, they are bought for enjoyment. I think if adding extras add to your enjoyment of the car, then go for it.

That said, as far as the 4RX goes, I like the rims, badges, and overall look of the stock vehicle and don't see myself changing anything at all. I don't really care for the all black rims, I am more of a shiney type as far as the rims go.
Old 01-16-16, 01:46 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 552 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Lubber
Buying any new car is a very poor investment if you are looking at it that way. Cars are not bought with worrying about getting money back, they are bought for enjoyment. I think if adding extras add to your enjoyment of the car, then go for it.

That said, as far as the 4RX goes, I like the rims, badges, and overall look of the stock vehicle and don't see myself changing anything at all. I don't really care for the all black rims, I am more of a shiney type as far as the rims go.
Yeah, I want to be the guy selling the wheels to the people with older car's. The wheels usually cost more than the car is worth. I'm 51 and I still cannot accept the black wheel fad. It's too bad they never offered chrome wheels on the 3rd gen. RX.
Old 01-16-16, 04:12 PM
MercuryISF
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Can we keep this thread about 22" wheels and not blacked out stock wheels.
Old 01-20-16, 07:31 AM
ted920
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MercuryISF
Can we keep this thread about 22" wheels and not blacked out stock wheels.
Completely Agree!
Old 01-20-16, 08:23 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!
Forum Moderator

Received 173 Likes on 147 Posts

The threads were merged to keep the discussion about rims, both aftermarket and modified stock, together.
Old 02-02-16, 05:16 PM
MercuryISF
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Show me the 22's.
Old 03-13-18, 06:49 PM
671creed
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vossens HF 1

Put on some Vossens HF 1 matte black
Old 03-13-18, 08:08 PM