RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Anyone get Lexus to order the hitch kit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-21, 07:01 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 246 Likes on 170 Posts

Folks, Toyota/Lexus does not manufacture hitch receivers! Just like tires and other components, they buy them from those that make them, like Curt. They may re-brand them or put them in a Toyota/Lexus marked box, but they don't make them. So if you buy from the dealer, you are paying huge markups for that packaging. No need for that!
The following users liked this post:
gadgetman1 (04-03-21)
Old 04-03-21, 08:10 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 603 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by JasDmw
Folks, Toyota/Lexus does not manufacture hitch receivers! Just like tires and other components, they buy them from those that make them, like Curt. They may re-brand them or put them in a Toyota/Lexus marked box, but they don't make them. So if you buy from the dealer, you are paying huge markups for that packaging. No need for that!

IMO The OEM hitch is a completely different design than aftermarket. I suggest you review both from under the car to judge for yourself.
The following users liked this post:
WIZARD1325 (04-05-21)
Old 04-05-21, 04:15 PM
WIZARD1325
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Then how come i cavent seen any 3rd party hitchs with the same amount of bolt/ hook up points?
Old 04-05-21, 05:12 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 215 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by WIZARD1325
Then how come i cavent seen any 3rd party hitchs with the same amount of bolt/ hook up points?
Its much the same as if you would have a building contractor build you a customized house to what whatever you wanted. Lexus contracts with an aftermarket hitch manufacturer(s) & specs out what they want & they sell it for twice what an aftermarket hitch sells for.

More contact attach points are always better, but the towing limits are only 3,500 lbs, it really doesn’t matter that much does it? Are you going to get $7-800 worth of towing out of that hitch? I tow maybe once or twice a year. If this vehicle could tow 5,000 lbs, I would tow much more regularly.
Old 04-08-21, 11:19 AM
WIZARD1325
Advanced

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
Its much the same as if you would have a building contractor build you a customized house to what whatever you wanted. Lexus contracts with an aftermarket hitch manufacturer(s) & specs out what they want & they sell it for twice what an aftermarket hitch sells for.

More contact attach points are always better, but the towing limits are only 3,500 lbs, it really doesn’t matter that much does it? Are you going to get $7-800 worth of towing out of that hitch? I tow maybe once or twice a year. If this vehicle could tow 5,000 lbs, I would tow much more regularly.

Yes, I am in Florida and i have Stuff in storage in Wisconsin that will take me 2 trips to complete
A uhaul from North to South going one trip will cost me $2500+

buying a proper hitch and fuel would cost me around $1,200 round trip x2.

plus i have telescope equipment i can use the hitch to store the cargo. So i feel i will get my moneys worth and add value towards resale and people looking harder at my vehicle due to its all factory and not something someone did over a the weekend.

thats my thoughts.

Update*
The cheapest i found it online now is $726.00 at my local dealer free shipping and +50 for the sales tax.

If i went the cheap route i can order a hitch and wire harness and components i needs around the $300+ range.

so what do i get for spending and extra $400?

-OEM flushed look (hahahha)
- Better more secure mounting points for worry free operation (due to i will have now clue how much im hauling in weight im guessing 2,000LB max
- Parts design and engineered and approved by lexus
- A very nice placebo effect for my endorphins

whats my justification?

im crazy! i guess.

Last edited by WIZARD1325; 04-08-21 at 11:26 AM.
Old 04-08-21, 11:51 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by WIZARD1325
Yes, I am in Florida and i have Stuff in storage in Wisconsin that will take me 2 trips to complete
A uhaul from North to South going one trip will cost me $2500+

buying a proper hitch and fuel would cost me around $1,200 round trip x2.

plus i have telescope equipment i can use the hitch to store the cargo. So i feel i will get my moneys worth and add value towards resale and people looking harder at my vehicle due to its all factory and not something someone did over a the weekend.

thats my thoughts.

Update*
The cheapest i found it online now is $726.00 at my local dealer free shipping and +50 for the sales tax.

If i went the cheap route i can order a hitch and wire harness and components i needs around the $300+ range.

so what do i get for spending and extra $400?

-OEM flushed look (hahahha)
- Better more secure mounting points for worry free operation (due to i will have now clue how much im hauling in weight im guessing 2,000LB max
- Parts design and engineered and approved by lexus
- A very nice placebo effect for my endorphins

whats my justification?

im crazy! i guess.
You’re not crazy. You brought up some very good points. I’m not sure what you mean by the “OEM flushed look”. This is what my Kurt install looks like:

Old 04-08-21, 12:00 PM
WIZARD1325
Advanced

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
You’re not crazy. You brought up some very good points. I’m not sure what you mean by the “OEM flushed look”. This is what my Kurt install looks like:

flushed look with the bumper factory cut out and a place for the harnest
Old 04-15-21, 08:36 AM
Makool
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RX 2019 F Sport Series 3 Hitch can’t be installed.

Hi all,

Recently a friend of mine is moving to US (I’m in Vancouver Canadá) he offered me this RV, then I made an appointment at Lexus to install a hitch, found a OEM on eBay great deal, but to my surprise they told me that the hitch can’t be installed, looks like there is a damper for stability right where the hitch will be installed, it’s called lateral performance damper, but according to them if I remove it, I’ll lose my warranty.

Question is, have any of you removed that damper to install the hitch? If so, Any impact when driving? Any changes at all?

It’s just stupid that you have an SUV, and a hitch can’t be installed, plus the threatening of losing my warranty.

Thanks in advance.

[img]blob:https://www.clublexus.com/fdf496f2-46f6-46cc-9b90-cb6b471901bc[/img]
Old 04-15-21, 12:34 PM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 246 Likes on 170 Posts

Look up-thread, a guy installed one on his new 450H FSport and included a step by step video. Shows the damper pretty clearly.

The hitch bolts right onto the same mounting surface and uses the same holes as the damper. It will act sort of like the damper, except more as a stiffener, I guess, as it will stiffen the structure but won't allow any movement which the damper would in use. Unless you are constantly into tight turns at aggressive speeds, I don't think you'll see much of a difference.

Did the dealer tell you it would void the warranty?
Old 04-15-21, 12:55 PM
Makool
Pit Crew

Look up-thread, a guy installed one on his new 450H FSport and included a step by step video. Shows the damper pretty clearly.

The hitch bolts right onto the same mounting surface and uses the same holes as the damper. It will act sort of like the damper, except more as a stiffener, I guess, as it will stiffen the structure but won't allow any movement which the damper would in use. Unless you are constantly into tight turns at aggressive speeds, I don't think you'll see much of a difference.

Did the dealer tell you it would void the warranty?
Thanks for your reply, yes, I saw that video, I want to install it, but the dealer told me that if I remove it, my warranty will be voided and I lose any claim I can have in the future.
Old 04-15-21, 04:56 PM
pentaprism
Pit Crew

Received 82 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Makool
Thanks for your reply, yes, I saw that video, I want to install it, but the dealer told me that if I remove it, my warranty will be voided and I lose any claim I can have in the future.
Say, after you move the performance damper to install the hitch, your Lexus has a problem with the headlights. Will the warranty be voided?

Again, if my dealer had its way, to keep the warranty, I'd have to use Lexus gasoline, Lexus oil for the vehicle, and myself had to breath Lexus air, drink Lexus coffee, eat Lexus bread.....

I did all sorts of things to my vehicles, and so far haven't had any warranty voided yet.
Old 04-15-21, 05:00 PM
pentaprism
Pit Crew

Received 82 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Makool
have any of you removed that damper to install the hitch? If so, Any impact when driving? Any changes at all?
See post #280 above

Old 04-15-21, 06:56 PM
Makool
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by pentaprism
Say, after you move the performance damper to install the hitch, your Lexus has a problem with the headlights. Will the warranty be voided?

Again, if my dealer had its way, to keep the warranty, I'd have to use Lexus gasoline, Lexus oil for the vehicle, and myself had to breath Lexus air, drink Lexus coffee, eat Lexus bread.....

I did all sorts of things to my vehicles, and so far haven't had any warranty voided yet.
Well, I can tell you that I was ready to proceed with the installation, they refused to do it, plus, they left a message on my file mentioning that customer was advice about the warranty won’t cover any fixes if the part is removed.

I will take a decision regarding if I remove it or not.

Thanks
Old 04-15-21, 06:57 PM
Makool
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by pentaprism
Thanks for the help, I will take a decision if I proceed with the installation.

Thanks for your help and time.
Old 04-15-21, 10:51 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

How about you guys contact Lexus corporate & speak to an engineer. You need the straight poop & not some diarrhea of the mouth from stupid dealers. Lexus service is just as bad as Dodge or Ford service, except it’s fancier & more expensive. The dealer’s argument has no merit if a customer buys the Lexus installed hitch. They still have to change the damper setup. This is a major fail for Lexus. If it were me, I would be talking with a lemon law attorney. There’s no hard & fast rule on getting satisfaction, but it would at least give you some leverage or indication that you need to dump the Lexus.

Quick Reply: Anyone get Lexus to order the hitch kit?