RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Anyone get Lexus to order the hitch kit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-16, 08:43 AM
SFocLA
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

looks great and hidden!
Old 01-15-16, 08:47 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by SFocLA
looks great and hidden!
I was very happy as even the Lexus people had no idea what the installed hitch looked like. I asked to be brought back to the vehicle while it was on the lift so I could get great images from under but they forgot and brought it up to the portico and it was raining like crazy. I feared this huge hitch would be sticking out past the bumper.

Will post images of the wiring outlet and hitch from under the RX this weekend.

Very happy!

Last edited by RXOwner; 01-15-16 at 08:54 AM.
Old 01-15-16, 08:49 AM
GSY
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Very nice and clean look - I'll be getting one for my bike rack based on your photos

thanks for posting the pics!
Old 01-31-16, 07:10 AM
jwrichter
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default hitch

Originally Posted by GSY
I am in New Jersey and have had my RX for a week. I inquired about a 2" receiver and was told that its $550 plus labor from Lexus.
Try $212 out the door for class 2 from U-haul. No wires.
Old 01-31-16, 11:23 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jwrichter
What does it look like? Got pictures?
Old 02-01-16, 10:39 AM
SFocLA
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jwrichter
First off Uhaul wont have this until months from now. Secondly do you really want a uhaul guy working on your new car that he has never worked on before?

For those considering a tow hitch, I discovered the following info:

1. 2 types of tow hitch mounts- one that is bolted, other is welded. I never knew this. Most of the cars I have owned had factory tow hitches. Depending on what you are towing make sure you are choosing the right option. I also have had uhaul hitches installed my old prius which worked fine. Welding on hitches seem more secure from what I have been readin since its on the frame.

2. Welded on hitches- lexus sales rep explained "if you get something welded you may risk us not being able to accept your car if you trade it in because we can not certify it since it is affecting the integrity of the frame" This is all talk, but something to consider if true. I dont care, I am not trading in.

3. Lexus RX has a tow prep kit that needed to be ordered as an ption with your car could be an issue getting a lexus factory hitch because they will not install it unless you sign a ton of waivers.

After all my research I am probably going through a custom hitch company that I mentioned previously. Seems more secure and obviously cheaper than the factory if I could consider that as an option.
Old 02-07-16, 03:09 PM
RON7
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The factory hitch really looks great, I like how hidden it looks.
Is there some one who can tell me who manufactures the hitches for lexus. I would
like to buy one locally and install it my self. Thanks
Old 02-09-16, 11:15 AM
sharkbite
Driver School Candidate

The latest price quote from my local Lexus dealer for installing the OEM hitch on my RX:

$550 for the hitch
$176.57 for the bumper absorber (Apparently needs to be replaced to install the factory hitch... can anyone confirm? I don't remember reading about anyone else having to replace this part for previous OEM hitches.)
$495 for 3 hours labor

Total job = $1221.57!!!
Old 02-09-16, 12:53 PM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sharkbite
The latest price quote from my local Lexus dealer for installing the OEM hitch on my RX:

$550 for the hitch
$176.57 for the bumper absorber (Apparently needs to be replaced to install the factory hitch... can anyone confirm? I don't remember reading about anyone else having to replace this part for previous OEM hitches.)
$495 for 3 hours labor

Total job = $1221.57!!!
If you look at post number 30 in this thread you will see my 4RX with factory hitch installed and the grey trim piece under the bumper has to be replaced with the one in my images.

Mine was a little over $1k out the door. I had to wait less than two hours for the job to complete.
Old 02-09-16, 01:09 PM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkbite

$550 for the hitch
$495 for 3 hours labor

Total job = $1221.57!!!
Did you already have the tow prep package on yours as well?
Old 02-09-16, 02:26 PM
sharkbite
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bearcat
Did you already have the tow prep package on yours as well?
Yes, my car came with the Towing-Prep option.
Old 02-09-16, 02:30 PM
sharkbite
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RXOwner
If you look at post number 30 in this thread you will see my 4RX with factory hitch installed and the grey trim piece under the bumper has to be replaced with the one in my images.

Mine was a little over $1k out the door. I had to wait less than two hours for the job to complete.
Hmm, I saw your photo in post 30 and it looks really nice. I just didn't know if the replacement trim piece for the cutout around the OEM hitch is also considered to be the "absorber." The Parts guy described the OEM hitch as requiring two separate purchases (the hitch and the absorber), which got me a little confused, as this would be significantly more complex to install than the aftermarket hitches I'm used to (if I understand the dealer correctly).
Old 02-10-16, 01:52 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

The Lexus tech said it was not hard to install and it was just about bolting it on. There was time involved in removing and replacing body parts and there was also routing of new wiring. Also he said an electrical module had to be replaced, likely a blinker relay of some sort.

All works well with my trailer which has all LED lights. Towing something the size of my jetski was no problem.
Old 02-12-16, 11:11 AM
GSY
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks great! I am looking to get one for myself!
Old 02-15-16, 10:25 AM
johnandkri
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitch #

The Lexus hitch part number is PT22848160 Told $500.00 and $300 to install

Quick Reply: Anyone get Lexus to order the hitch kit?