RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Self healing paint

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-15, 05:12 PM
mmartin061
banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
Self Healing paint is something that has been around for some time now. Nissan has been using it on their Infiniti cars for years.

The "self healing" paint is really just a soft (never fully drying) clear coat. When heated, the clear coat will liquefy at a molecular level and will fill any surface scratches (swirls) that exist in the paint. Thus, the clear coat can heal itself. If you scratch through the clear deeply, or through the clear and into the paint, the self healing paint will not fix this.

It should also be noted that if this is like Nissan's paint, the self healing ability will disappear over time (the clear coat will eventually harden entirely). Thus, this option will not stay around forever.

One downfall of self healing paint, contamination. If your car is a dark color, and you park it in the sunlight, the paint will get very hot, in which the clear coat will becoming its most liquid state. If a bird was to crap on your car, the clear coat WILL absorb this. If the paint is allowed to dry, the bird crap will become part of your clear coat and you will have to grind away the clear coat in order to remove this.

So while the self healing has benefits, I personally hate it. And if I'm not wrong, Infiniti is no longer offering it.

EDIT:
(sorry, didn't realize someone posted info above, I'm still going to leave this here though)
I would have to agree. These cars get poop or puke or berries or any other very acidic mixture on it especially on a hot day. Goodybe. It has become one with the car
Old 12-21-15, 07:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,966 Posts

Are you sure that the RC also has self healing paint?

I have the self healing paint on the LS. I've had birds poop on it...and its been fine. Does seem to do a nice job resisting scratches.

I wouldn't be too excited about it either way.
Old 12-22-15, 05:05 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Are you sure that the RC also has self healing paint?

I have the self healing paint on the LS. I've had birds poop on it...and its been fine. Does seem to do a nice job resisting scratches.

I wouldn't be too excited about it either way.
All Lexus cars past 2014 MY have self healing paing apart from 3RX and CT.

Haven't noticed any self healing properties. In fact some IS on the lot are 1 year old and look worse than 5 year old IS
Old 12-22-15, 07:19 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Friend got his RC back a few days ago and the dealer claims they repainted the entire panel. The stain is gone and it looks good to me and the owner so all is good.
Old 12-23-15, 08:18 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rayaans
All Lexus cars past 2014 MY have self healing paing apart from 3RX and CT.

Where in the Lexus literature is this noted?

I picked up our 2016 RX450h yesterday. The manual indicates it has self-restoring paint. I wanted this verified, as detailing procedures and products I use would be different on self-restoring coating. No one at the dealership could verify whether it's self-restoring coating or tradional NON self-restoring clear coat. The only thing they could verify is Lexus clear coat is soft. I agree with that wholeheartedly.

I'll do a test spot, much like the videos of Xpel Ultimate self-healing paint protective film.
Old 12-23-15, 10:21 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DunWkg
Where in the Lexus literature is this noted?

I picked up our 2016 RX450h yesterday. The manual indicates it has self-restoring paint. I wanted this verified, as detailing procedures and products I use would be different on self-restoring coating. No one at the dealership could verify whether it's self-restoring coating or tradional NON self-restoring clear coat. The only thing they could verify is Lexus clear coat is soft. I agree with that wholeheartedly.

I'll do a test spot, much like the videos of Xpel Ultimate self-healing paint protective film.
It's not verified. I just collated that using brochures. You can use self healing paint safe polishes btw
Old 12-25-15, 09:40 PM
Lubber
Rookie

Originally Posted by rayaans
It's not verified. I just collated that using brochures. You can use self healing paint safe polishes btw
Do you know offhand which polishes are self healing safe?
Old 12-25-15, 09:49 PM
Talys1767
Driver School Candidate

Wish I knew, but when I picked up my 450h, the delivery person wanted me to pay $800 or so for Xzilon Molecular Adhesion protection for the paint >.< The brochure for this says, "Xzilon permanently bonds directly to the vehicles paint to provide a long-lasting protective barrier". (I passed)
Old 12-25-15, 10:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Good move passing lol
Old 12-25-15, 10:25 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lubber
Do you know offhand which polishes are self healing safe?
Some Scholl and Menzerna polishes are. Can't remember which ones but worth checking them out
Old 12-26-15, 03:16 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

I think many here are over complicating the care of the RX paint. If some special wax was required, Lexus would likely not have used it. I have waxed mine three times and nothing has fallen off.
Old 12-26-15, 05:48 AM
RON7
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Detail spray

I have considered using McGuire's detail spray for in between car washes
and was wondering what other brands RX owners might be using and
their experience using detail sprays.
Old 12-26-15, 07:21 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RON7
I have considered using McGuire's detail spray for in between car washes
and was wondering what other brands RX owners might be using and
their experience using detail sprays.
I have used both McGuire's and Mother's and they both did great in getting rid of the water mark or two. I use them all the time after dusting with the California Duster between washes.

I prefer the Mother's but only because of it's peppermint smell.
Old 12-26-15, 07:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RXOwner
I think many here are over complicating the care of the RX paint. If some special wax was required, Lexus would likely not have used it. I have waxed mine three times and nothing has fallen off.
Machine polishing will not harm the physical appearance of the paint, but it WILL remove the self healing layer.
Old 12-26-15, 12:55 PM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Machine polishing will not harm the physical appearance of the paint, but it WILL remove the self healing layer.
You would have to do some serious polishing to do that. I do not believe it would be harmed by waxing what so ever. Too much worry about nothing.

Last edited by RXOwner; 12-26-15 at 12:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Self healing paint