RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Self healing paint

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-15, 04:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,966 Posts

Originally Posted by RXOwner
You would have to do some serious polishing to do that. I do not believe it would be harmed by waxing what so ever. Too much worry about nothing.
Not waxing, but machine polishing with any sort of abrasive would absolutely do it. If you used a cleaner wax with some sort of abrasive or chemical cleaner it could very well do it also.

So people that have this coating need to understand, if you or a professional detailer machine polish the paint, you're going to remove this layer.
Old 12-26-15, 05:46 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 214 Likes on 146 Posts

You would have to do some serious polishing to do that. I do not believe it would be harmed by waxing what so ever. Too much worry about nothing.
Depends how deep the damage is. It is possible to remove a very fine layer, but still leave the self-healing layer behind. (I doubt it, though)
Old 12-26-15, 06:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The flaw in that logic is that only works if the scratch is only in part of the self healing layer. If the scratch does not self heal, then by default the scratch is through the self healing layer and into the clear coat, and if you polish out the scratch that requires that you remove some clear coat around it to level it off and remove the scratch. In order to do that you're by default removing anything above the clear coat...meaning you're removing the self healing coat.
Old 12-26-15, 09:30 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The flaw in that logic is that only works if the scratch is only in part of the self healing layer. If the scratch does not self heal, then by default the scratch is through the self healing layer and into the clear coat, and if you polish out the scratch that requires that you remove some clear coat around it to level it off and remove the scratch. In order to do that you're by default removing anything above the clear coat...meaning you're removing the self healing coat.
^^^This is absolutely correct.

I think the confusion is coming due to terminology. Let's just clarify that polishing removes paint and wax protects it to clear up some confusion

Therefore pure wax won't remove anything but pure polish will
Old 12-27-15, 03:05 AM
Lubber
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it possible to "patch" in an area of this self healing layer if it was removed because of a deep scratch?
Old 12-27-15, 06:59 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Lubber
Is it possible to "patch" in an area of this self healing layer if it was removed because of a deep scratch?
Don't think so. I think you'd have to repaint the panel
Old 12-27-15, 07:44 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Not waxing, but machine polishing with any sort of abrasive would absolutely do it. If you used a cleaner wax with some sort of abrasive or chemical cleaner it could very well do it also.

So people that have this coating need to understand, if you or a professional detailer machine polish the paint, you're going to remove this layer.
I am talking waxing. Anyone who is using an aggressive polish with a machine better know what they are doing as there a a LOT of details in the RX body work just begging to be "burnt" if you do not know what you are doing.

At this point in your 2016 RX life, polishing is not needed or required. I apply my wax with a PorterCable with a foam pad and remove with microfiber and the results are nice.
Old 12-27-15, 08:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lubber
No, once its removed its removed.

I am talking waxing. Anyone who is using an aggressive polish with a machine better know what they are doing as there a a LOT of details in the RX body work just begging to be "burnt" if you do not know what you are doing.
Just to share my background, I've been a hobbyist detailer for 20 years and even detailed professionally for a few years in there. I've used every manner of product and tool from rotary polishers to orbital polishers, etc.

What you don't realize is a LOT of consumer waxes are "cleaner waxes" or one step products. These products do contain abrasives both mechanical and/or chemical. These products WILL remove paint, whether used by hand or by machine. Might not be enough to remove this self healing layer in one application, but the effect is cumulative, and the more you use the product the more you remove.

Just make sure that you are using a pure wax or sealant that is not a "cleaning" product and contains no abrasives. If you want to post what you've used I can tell you whether it does or doesn't.

As far as "burning" goes. There are a ton of great orbital polishers out there that even a novice can use that will not burn paint (such as the Porter Cable you mention later). But they will remove paint (thats how you remove scratches, no paint removal no scratch removal), and they will remove this layer.

At this point in your 2016 RX life, polishing is not needed or required. I apply my wax with a PorterCable with a foam pad and remove with microfiber and the results are nice.
LOL, I have done full paint corrections on MANY brand new cars, as have all the other detailer members here, the ones that are in business and have been longer than I was even moreso. I'm certain that in the right light, your RX needs machine polishing too. Dealers wash them and screw them up, dealers prep them and screw them up. I've had dealers screw paint up with one wash enough that they need $500+ worth of machine polishing.

BTW, if you apply the wax you used with a PC, and it was an abrasive cleaner wax...you have machine polished the surface.

The point is people just need to realize this coating is there, and make decisions about paint correction based on whether or not they want to preserve it. Not sure why you're fighting this so much
Old 12-27-15, 10:48 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

20 years, well I got you beat there but I do know the difference in a wax and cleaner wax.
Old 12-27-15, 11:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

20 years, well I got you beat there but I do know the difference in a wax and cleaner wax.
LMAO! You're hilarious. What is the "danger" in advising people to be cognizant of what sorts of products they are using because of the unique properties of the paint on this specific vehicle?

What is dangerous is your "advice": "just use whatever, it'll be fine!".

If you're so confident that what you use contains no cleaners...why not post it here?
Old 12-27-15, 12:41 PM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

LMAO! You're hilarious. What is the "danger" in advising people to be cognizant of what sorts of products they are using because of the unique properties of the paint on this specific vehicle?

What is dangerous is your "advice": "just use whatever, it'll be fine!".

If you're so confident that what you use contains no cleaners...why not post it here?
You need to relax.

Thanks for giving me permission to do as I wish.
Old 12-27-15, 02:26 PM
3richard
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Holy Crap

I live in Tucson Arizona. It gets well over 100F for MONTHS!
Like 100 days in a row over 100F!
I fear that my new car will melt.....
Old 12-27-15, 03:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 3richard
I live in Tucson Arizona. It gets well over 100F for MONTHS!
Like 100 days in a row over 100F!
I fear that my new car will melt.....
Haha, it'll be fine. Think of how healed your paint will be!
Old 12-27-15, 04:12 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Anybody know where i can find the paint codes for our cars? Detailing shop got a little over zealous on the polishing machine trying to remove some scratches...
Old 12-28-15, 05:14 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by skiracer
Anybody know where i can find the paint codes for our cars? Detailing shop got a little over zealous on the polishing machine trying to remove some scratches...
Don't know if this is helpful or not:

http://www.toyotareference.com/lexusrx#RX

Quick Reply: Self healing paint