RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Self healing paint

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-15, 05:21 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

Hopefully the detailer is paying for a repaint...that's a bummer.
Old 12-28-15, 06:07 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

The paint code should be on the sticker inside the driver side door.
Old 12-28-15, 09:08 AM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by DunWkg
Don't know if this is helpful or not:

http://www.toyotareference.com/lexusrx#RX
Ok that confirms what i thought was the paint code. For Obsidian it shows a paint code of 212.

On a black sticker on the drivers side door jamb, it show a "C/TR: 212/LB23" which appears to be the paint code...
Old 12-28-15, 12:51 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

LB23 is the interior color.
Old 04-12-16, 07:46 AM
cec327
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I used Mothers cleaner-wax on my 2016 rx350 . Easy application and removal. I have yet to see a wax ,any wax improve the shine of a new car, however, I appreciate the info about other products and will certainly be giving them a try. Thanks.
Old 04-12-16, 08:06 PM
rxed350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ You my friend, need to look into better wax/sealants for your car. One of my favorite sealants is the Menzerna Powerlock. There are a handful of other good sealants out there too. I keep my other car outside in TX weather 24/7 with the exception of using a car cover only when i get home. The powerlock holds up decently. I went 4 months without waxing and it has held up in terms of water beading and looks. I wouldn't go longer even though it could be stretch to possibly 6 months because i enjoy waxing it to make sure its protected. But for maintenance in between a real wax job, i like Meguiars D156 X-Wax. Super easy and you can use it as a drying agent too. Doesnt stain the plastics of your car, gives it a decent shine and protection till the next wash( 2-4 weeks depending on if your car is outside/garaged/weather).

I know SW15LS has probably tried these products and has some preferred products of his own.
Old 04-19-16, 06:02 AM
cec327
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by rxed350
^ You my friend, need to look into better wax/sealants for your car. One of my favorite sealants is the Menzerna Powerlock. There are a handful of other good sealants out there too. I keep my other car outside in TX weather 24/7 with the exception of using a car cover only when i get home. The powerlock holds up decently. I went 4 months without waxing and it has held up in terms of water beading and looks. I wouldn't go longer even though it could be stretch to possibly 6 months because i enjoy waxing it to make sure its protected. But for maintenance in between a real wax job, i like Meguiars D156 X-Wax. Super easy and you can use it as a drying agent too. Doesnt stain the plastics of your car, gives it a decent shine and protection till the next wash( 2-4 weeks depending on if your car is outside/garaged/weather).

I know SW15LS has probably tried these products and has some preferred products of his own.
I appreciate your suggestion about inquiring into a better wax/sealants. I intend to do that. Also, the D156 for maintenance. Thanks. ( However, I still think that the Mothers in a good product.)
Old 04-19-16, 06:50 AM
cec327
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by rxed350

My car is in the garage and I've had it for two weeks. I applied the Mothers Cleaner/wax and the paint is smooth. Would I apply the Menzerna over the wax that is currently on the car or would I have to remove the wax.
Old 04-22-16, 02:54 PM
hkbruin2
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Self-healing Miracle???

Originally Posted by Swacer

One downfall of self healing paint, contamination. If your car is a dark color, and you park it in the sunlight, the paint will get very hot, in which the clear coat will becoming its most liquid state. If a bird was to crap on your car, the clear coat WILL absorb this. If the paint is allowed to dry, the bird crap will become part of your clear coat and you will have to grind away the clear coat in order to remove this.
Hi folks,

I want to share an experience I had this week with a large white splatter of bird crap that was caked on to the hood of my wife's obsidian 4RX (It must have been on there for an afternoon/day as the RX was parked outside during her work on Monday). After already having some negative experiences with tree sap and other random orange specs (not sure from what) that left marks on the clear coat, I was fearing the worst. Later that night I sprayed the crap with a ton of Windex and wiped it off with a high quality microfiber towel, carefully to prevent any marring or swirling of the paint from any possible hard contaminants in the bird crap. I successfully removed it without scratching the surface, but my fear was confirmed when I could clearly see that the dropping left a milky white etching in the clear coat I gave it a couple more attempts to see if I could remove it, but to no avail.
I scolded my wife for not telling me sooner so that I could have worked on it earlier in the evening, but something like that doesn't really register any concern in her head despite my telling her about the previous occurrences. I spent the next couple of days searching on Yelp for a local reputable detailer and pricing for Opticoating the RX. Some things came up and so I ceased my research and never got the detailing appointment. Well, this morning when we were leaving a doctors appointment, I wanted to point out the etching to her. I leaned over the front of the hood and to my astonishment, I couldn't find the etching!! I was like, WTHeck??? We were outside and I looked over the middle of the hood from all angles and there was no trace of the milky white etching. I mean, it was etched a pretty good size, about the size of a quarter complete with splash marks. I checked again under the fluorescent light in my garage as when I first saw it, and amazingly, there was no trace!
Since the evening I cleaned off the bird dropping, the RX sat under the sun on Wednesday and Thursday while she worked, and parked in our garage otherwise. Somehow, the clear coat must have repaired itself under the sun from the heat, and I also noticed that some other tiny rock chips towards the front of the hood had disappeared as well. Needless to say, I am very pleased at this finding, and for this particular situation, I would say it was a miracle. I've kept telling myself that I would wrap the front and hood with Xpel but kept having to put it off etc etc.
With that all being said, I've learned my lesson and will make sure to get our RX protected in some way, whether it's opticoat, wax/seal, and wrapped. If anyone has any recommendations in the South Orange County, CA area, I'm all ears!
Old 04-22-16, 07:54 PM
cec327
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by hkbruin2
Hi folks,

I want to share an experience I had this week with a large white splatter of bird crap that was caked on to the hood of my wife's obsidian 4RX (It must have been on there for an afternoon/day as the RX was parked outside during her work on Monday). After already having some negative experiences with tree sap and other random orange specs (not sure from what) that left marks on the clear coat, I was fearing the worst. Later that night I sprayed the crap with a ton of Windex and wiped it off with a high quality microfiber towel, carefully to prevent any marring or swirling of the paint from any possible hard contaminants in the bird crap. I successfully removed it without scratching the surface, but my fear was confirmed when I could clearly see that the dropping left a milky white etching in the clear coat I gave it a couple more attempts to see if I could remove it, but to no avail.
I scolded my wife for not telling me sooner so that I could have worked on it earlier in the evening, but something like that doesn't really register any concern in her head despite my telling her about the previous occurrences. I spent the next couple of days searching on Yelp for a local reputable detailer and pricing for Opticoating the RX. Some things came up and so I ceased my research and never got the detailing appointment. Well, this morning when we were leaving a doctors appointment, I wanted to point out the etching to her. I leaned over the front of the hood and to my astonishment, I couldn't find the etching!! I was like, WTHeck??? We were outside and I looked over the middle of the hood from all angles and there was no trace of the milky white etching. I mean, it was etched a pretty good size, about the size of a quarter complete with splash marks. I checked again under the fluorescent light in my garage as when I first saw it, and amazingly, there was no trace!
Since the evening I cleaned off the bird dropping, the RX sat under the sun on Wednesday and Thursday while she worked, and parked in our garage otherwise. Somehow, the clear coat must have repaired itself under the sun from the heat, and I also noticed that some other tiny rock chips towards the front of the hood had disappeared as well. Needless to say, I am very pleased at this finding, and for this particular situation, I would say it was a miracle. I've kept telling myself that I would wrap the front and hood with Xpel but kept having to put it off etc etc.
With that all being said, I've learned my lesson and will make sure to get our RX protected in some way, whether it's opticoat, wax/seal, and wrapped. If anyone has any recommendations in the South Orange County, CA area, I'm all ears!
Great story. Enjoyed it.
Old 04-26-16, 12:34 AM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Interesting. I thought self healing was just a gimmick. I have opticoat on my RX BTW
Old 04-26-16, 07:59 AM
yermolovd
Driver School Candidate

I got CQuartz Finest coating. I got a splatter on the door, didn't notice at first, was working around yard, probably was on it for a few hours. I soaked it with wet towels and removed it by tapping with wet towel instead of wiping. Looked ok, but needs a closer look after a good wash.
Old 04-27-16, 07:53 PM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by yermolovd
I got CQuartz Finest coating. I got a splatter on the door, didn't notice at first, was working around yard, probably was on it for a few hours. I soaked it with wet towels and removed it by tapping with wet towel instead of wiping. Looked ok, but needs a closer look after a good wash.
Did you apply it yourself? What is the cost for CQuartz?
Old 04-28-16, 07:45 AM
yermolovd
Driver School Candidate

My car went straight to a certified and experienced detailer the day I got it from the dealer, still wrapped up (even at that point there were swirls).
See the other topic about nightfall mica swirls . After dealer butchered my Scion FR-S on delivery, I make a strong point to the salesperson not to touch the car. My Lexus sales person understood and put a big note on my file, but said most people at dealership do not get it (ie dont care). The Scion guy was an idiot though...

In my earlier days I maybe would consider doing all the detailing and new car prep myself, but i do not have all the tools that make life easier and no time either now with a year old in our family. I do take care of my cars and wash them with 2 bucket method and am planning to get a foam cannon as well.

Last edited by yermolovd; 04-28-16 at 07:58 AM.
Old 04-28-16, 11:08 AM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I did a little clay barring on the RX a few days ago because there was tons of rail dust on it. I noticed some very small hairline scratches in the clear coat in a couple of places, probably from not using enough spray before using the clay. I haven't had it outside since as its raining but just wondering if these little hairline scratches will heal on their own. Any thoughts? Also, what is the catalyst for the healing, is it the UV from the sun or the heat from the sun?