RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Tint Percentage?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-16, 03:37 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 117 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Philthy84
I'm scheduled to get my Xpel Ultimate paint protection full front end, CQuartz sealant and tints (thinking 20% all round, 70-80 on windshield and either 5 or 10% on the Panoramic roof. It will be a day and half job so hoping to have pics to share on Tuesday evening. I've been keeping the RX at home as much as possible and avoiding getting on the highways when I've been forced to drive it during my first week of ownership to lessen any chances of rock chips. Come to think of it the only time I took the RX out was to bring her back to the dealership I bought it from to get the running boards and illuminated door sills installed.
Go with 5 on the roof. It gets hot and its nice to keep it always open!
Old 06-17-16, 07:55 AM
rajlover
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Philthy84
I'm scheduled to get my Xpel Ultimate paint protection full front end, CQuartz sealant and tints (thinking 20% all round, 70-80 on windshield and either 5 or 10% on the Panoramic roof. It will be a day and half job so hoping to have pics to share on Tuesday evening. I've been keeping the RX at home as much as possible and avoiding getting on the highways when I've been forced to drive it during my first week of ownership to lessen any chances of rock chips. Come to think of it the only time I took the RX out was to bring her back to the dealership I bought it from to get the running boards and illuminated door sills installed.
Can you show pictures of your car....need to see how running board looks on it...and how much you paid for it
Old 06-17-16, 11:52 AM
rscpa
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cost of tint

Update for cost of 3M Crystaline - $740 for all except front windshield which if want done, will be $295..... still undecided on that one.
Old 06-17-16, 03:18 PM
Philthy84
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rajlover
Can you show pictures of your car....need to see how running board looks on it...and how much you paid for it
I ended up doing Suntek CXP 18% on the front windows, 35% on the rears on top of factory tint, 70% windshield and 5% pano roof. I'm satisfied with the results, for my eyes it's the perfect balance of darkness and being able to see clearly.

Here are the pics on an partly sunny day. I have the pano roof shade open in the pics, so if I want to make it darker I could just shut it. I'm very happy with the running boards I paid 500 for them and got installation waived during my purchase.

Last edited by Philthy84; 06-18-16 at 05:41 AM.
The following users liked this post:
aceyou (06-14-23)
Old 06-21-16, 09:02 PM
RXLexusF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by barx
thanks for great thread everyone.

I just had our white RX done:
- 3M color stable 35 on front windows
- 3M color stable 90 on back windows and rear
- 3M crystalline 90 on front windshield

it was $275 for the 3M color stable + $250 for the crystalline front windshield.

i wanted the side windows to match as much as possible without being obviously illegal and having to deal with fixits. that's why i went with 35 in the front and didn't try to make the rears darker.

i also wanted heat rejection and uv protection, so that's why i tinted all the windows. i never knew about the front windshield, but i'm happy i did it.

notes: i have bad night vision b/c of lasik, but visibility is great on the side mirrors and out the rear window at night. there is slightly more reflection off the dash with the front tint during the day, but it's not too bad with the 90.

no comments yet on heat and UV b/c it's hard to do a side by side.

haven't taken pictures yet, but let me know if you're intrested.
Picture please. Thanks!
Old 06-25-16, 09:13 AM
rajlover
Driver School Candidate

Got front windows installed with 20% Johnson Insulatir...while I even scheduled to get 70% film installed on windshield the worker told me not to put it and put only sunstrip for 20$ and save 100$ as he said cops don't like windshield film...even the owner of the shop had his truck with sunstrip.
Attached Thumbnails Tint Percentage?-20160625_113905.jpg   Tint Percentage?-20160625_110937.jpg  
Old 07-01-16, 05:37 PM
TexLexRX
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had 3m crystalline tint installed rear sides,rear floating window,and front and back windshields.I was told 42 % heat reduction.I have noticed a difference in this TEXAS heat.

Old 07-01-16, 05:44 PM
RXLexusF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TexLexRX
I had 3m crystalline tint installed rear sides,rear floating window,and front and back windshields.I was told 42 % heat reduction.I have noticed a difference in this TEXAS heat.
Looking good. May I ask how much did you pay for it? I'm also considering 3M. Did your dealer tell you that to tint the front windshield the water will go into the dashboard and may have some risks that the electronic can be damaged?
Old 07-01-16, 07:19 PM
TexLexRX
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I payed $400.00 ,I will check with dealer on the possible water damage to front window tint.THANKS
Old 07-01-16, 11:56 PM
RXLexusF
Driver School Candidate

Default Possible Electronics Damage

My dealer recommend against tinting my front windshield because the application required a lot of water, and it might get in under the dashboard to cause damage to Electronics.
The 2 front speakers, HUD, and vent are very close to the windshield. Should I be concerned? Any suggestions? Thanks~
Old 07-02-16, 06:22 PM
pdaeng
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RXLexusF
My dealer recommend against tinting my front windshield because the application required a lot of water, and it might get in under the dashboard to cause damage to Electronics.
The 2 front speakers, HUD, and vent are very close to the windshield. Should I be concerned? Any suggestions? Thanks~
an experienced installer should have no problem. put some paper tower should be fine.
Old 07-04-16, 07:06 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by RXLexusF
Any installer whos says there might be damage if front windshield is tinted, that dealer should be avoided like the plague. A good experianced installer will be smart enough to put towels or absorbent materials to capture excess water before it can do any damage. I have tinted every windshield of every car i have owned and have NO issues of dash discoloration, electeonic damage or stains. And i have owned like 15+ cars in my lifetime.
Old 07-05-16, 09:30 AM
RXLexusF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
Any installer whos says there might be damage if front windshield is tinted, that dealer should be avoided like the plague. A good experianced installer will be smart enough to put towels or absorbent materials to capture excess water before it can do any damage. I have tinted every windshield of every car i have owned and have NO issues of dash discoloration, electeonic damage or stains. And i have owned like 15+ cars in my lifetime.
Thanks man. I'll look for another dealer!
Old 07-07-16, 10:10 AM
behnammavi
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Tint 20% front and 5% on moonroof

Old 07-07-16, 12:03 PM
JosersRX
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RX Tint

Hello,

I'm interested in getting my front windows tinted on my new RX. Anyone know of a reputable place in the Chicago area? The dealer wants way too much money to do it.
Also, is it legal in Chicago to tint front windows to 20%?

Quick Reply: Tint Percentage?