RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-19, 10:29 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 179 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by gnguyen
I don't have any hesitation issue, should I just go ahead and ask for that TSB? The TSB I'm referring to is L-SB-0003-18. This is where they replace the mid exhaust pipe with another that has the damper weight attached.
If you have the symptoms described in the TSB which I pasted below, then of course! If the service dept gives you a hard time and isn’t eager to make you happy then go to another dealer. I drive an hour out the way to Whippany NJ for the top rated Lexus dealer in the tri state area. They always do follow up calls and always want to make sure your happy with the service

“Some 2016 – 2018 model year RX 350 vehicles may exhibit a droning noise from the exhaust system at takeoff or under light acceleration. Countermeasure parts are available to reduce the droning noise. Follow the Repair Procedure below to address this condition”
The following users liked this post:
MODale (06-14-19)
Old 06-14-19, 11:01 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 215 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by mspearl95
the F Sport has a physical sound generator in the exhaust system- there is a whole thread about deleting it.
Thanks for the correction - I guess it is really unremarkable to me as I never noticed any difference in the sound.
Old 06-16-19, 12:04 PM
eddie420
Forum Moderator

Received 640 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by DMPesso
If you have the symptoms described in the TSB which I pasted below, then of course! If the service dept gives you a hard time and isn’t eager to make you happy then go to another dealer. I drive an hour out the way to Whippany NJ for the top rated Lexus dealer in the tri state area. They always do follow up calls and always want to make sure your happy with the service

“Some 2016 – 2018 model year RX 350 vehicles may exhibit a droning noise from the exhaust system at takeoff or under light acceleration. Countermeasure parts are available to reduce the droning noise. Follow the Repair Procedure below to address this condition”
Guessing Lexus of Rt 10?
Old 06-16-19, 03:42 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by eddie420
Guessing Lexus of Rt 10?
Yup! How did you know lol
Old 06-17-19, 03:35 PM
gnguyen
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[Update on RX350 2019 Drone&Vibration issue]

So I went to a local dealer and had them looked at the car. The service rep said the TSB should have been applied to the car because it's a newer model year. And at first the mechanic couldn't reproduce it until I drove it. Then I show him that the center pipe is not the updated one. He acknowledged the problem and said he'll apply the TSB, but it's only a mitigation. I'm keeping my fingers cross. I also hear a thunk when putting the car into reverse and it takes more effort than other cars. Of course the service rep says he has 7 Lexus and they all do that and it's normal, even though he didn't try to see what it feels like with my car. Who are these people.
Old 06-17-19, 04:27 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

[Update on RX350 2019 Drone&Vibration issue]

So I went to a local dealer and had them looked at the car. The service rep said the TSB should have been applied to the car because it's a newer model year. And at first the mechanic couldn't reproduce it until I drove it. Then I show him that the center pipe is not the updated one. He acknowledged the problem and said he'll apply the TSB, but it's only a mitigation. I'm keeping my fingers cross. I also hear a thunk when putting the car into reverse and it takes more effort than other cars. Of course the service rep says he has 7 Lexus and they all do that and it's normal, even though he didn't try to see what it feels like with my car. Who are these people.
Yea that reverse clunk is a common problem. If you are driving and then stop somewhere to reverse real quick it will shake. Just wait a few seconds before you reverse and it will be fine. It’s really annoying. As far as the reverse effort, what exactly do you mean ?
Old 06-17-19, 04:31 PM
eddie420
Forum Moderator

Received 640 Likes on 458 Posts

Yup! How did you know lol
LOL. That's my dealership, bunch of great guys and where I bought my RX (the GS I bought from Englewood... never again). Although, Rt 10 keeps saying the excessive noise and vibration is 'normal'...
Old 06-17-19, 04:47 PM
gnguyen
Rookie

Yea that reverse clunk is a common problem. If you are driving and then stop somewhere to reverse real quick it will shake. Just wait a few seconds before you reverse and it will be fine. It’s really annoying. As far as the reverse effort, what exactly do you mean ?
The car comes to a full stop and I step on the brakes before putting it into reverse. It happens when I put it into D, also. Even when I turn of the car, then on, then putting into reverse I get a thunk. I have to apply more force than normal to get it into reverse.
Old 06-17-19, 04:57 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

LOL. That's my dealership, bunch of great guys and where I bought my RX (the GS I bought from Englewood... never again). Although, Rt 10 keeps saying the excessive noise and vibration is 'normal'...
Lol small world. Yea they’re one of the non shady dealers. have you tried using only top tier 93 gas like shell and have you had all the TSBS done?

The car comes to a full stop and I step on the brakes before putting it into reverse. It happens when I put it into D, also. Even when I turn of the car, then on, then putting into reverse I get a thunk. I have to apply more force than normal to get it into reverse.
thats weird I ONLY noticed this issue if I’ve been driving around and then suddenly stop to reverse. If I wait like 2-3 seconds before switching to reverse it doesn’t thunk. Try seeing if the pause helps you. By apply more force do you mean on the gear shifter or to the gas pedal once in reverse?
Old 06-18-19, 11:46 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Which RX do you have? F sport, hybrid, or regular? AWD I’m assuming? What year? Have you gotten any TSBS done?
Old 06-18-19, 12:35 PM
mirkee
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, I'd like to know which years have this problem. I'm looking used, somewhere 2016-2018 and would like to know. Also, I saw a well equiped 2019 rx350 at Costco yesterday with a MSRP of $52,000. If I could get 15% off, that's not far from used prices. Wish these cars did not hold their value so well :-). Makes it hard to justify buying used.
Old 06-18-19, 12:54 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mirkee
Yes, I'd like to know which years have this problem. I'm looking used, somewhere 2016-2018 and would like to know. Also, I saw a well equiped 2019 rx350 at Costco yesterday with a MSRP of $52,000. If I could get 15% off, that's not far from used prices. Wish these cars did not hold their value so well :-). Makes it hard to justify buying used.
Since when does Costco sell cars? Music to my ears. They’re definitely not doing that in NY. I wonder how much discount they give. If your just looking for a base model, I’ve seen people getting 20% off MSRP. Especially on a 2019 with the 2020 coming out. Now if your talking one with options or f sport or hybrid maybe not. Base models I believe can easily be had for 20% off MSRP brand new.
Old 06-18-19, 01:00 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 215 Likes on 170 Posts

Since when does Costco sell cars? Music to my ears. They’re definitely not doing that in NY. I wonder how much discount they give. If your just looking for a base model, I’ve seen people getting 20% off MSRP. Especially on a 2019 with the 2020 coming out. Now if your talking one with options or f sport or hybrid maybe not. Base models I believe can easily be had for 20% off MSRP brand new.
I don’t have a Costco anywhere near me, but I do know that Sam’s Club offered a new car buying service. I would assume it’s pretty close to what Costco is offering.
Old 06-18-19, 01:07 PM
gnguyen
Rookie

Originally Posted by mirkee
I believe all 2016-present models have the drone&vibration problems, mostly RX350. Some cars are more severe than others and some drivers are less tolerant than others. I remember there are RX405H and F-Sport owners calling out these issues in this thread. FYI, I bought a 2019 450H and got the drone&vibration, only to get denied by the service manager saying it's operating "within params". I instantly traded it after owning for only 10 days and lost $3.5K for a RX 350. During the trade, I test drove another 450H from the show room and it has the same issues. The loaner 450H I test drove was good. I test drove another RX350 and it has the issues. Then I test drove my current RX350, which didn't exhibit any issues until 200 miles later.
Old 06-18-19, 01:55 PM
mirkee
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Costco does not sell cars, that I know of.. They do offer a car buying service. They often display new cars in front of their stores to promote their service. This was the case with the 2019 RX350 I saw.

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration