RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-19, 02:23 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 178 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by gnguyen
It has the drone at 1500 RPM and the cabin noise is loud! But the main reason is because of the transmission hesitation, which I didn't know there is a "fix". I bought the car for my wife to drive our 2 year old. When accelerating from a stop, especially uphill, it would pause and hesitate for a second, in the middle of the intersection! That's a safety issue and I didn't want to take any risk, any longer. The service rep says it's "normal" and operating "within parameters". At the time I didn't know about this forum and all the potential mitigation from the LSB.
the 450 had hesitation? I thought that was only the 8 speed 350 that has that problem?!
The following users liked this post:
gadgetman1 (09-26-19)
Old 09-26-19, 02:29 PM
gnguyen
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DMPesso
the 450 had hesitation? I thought that was only the 8 speed 350 that has that problem?!
Yup, nothing is worth the safety of my family. I test drove a couple other 450H on the lot, the new ones in the show room had the issues and the loaner didn't. If you look at my avatar, the one on the right is the 450H, left is the 350.
Old 09-26-19, 02:36 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Yup, nothing is worth the safety of my family. I test drove a couple other 450H on the lot, the new ones in the show room had the issues and the loaner didn't. If you look at my avatar, the one on the right is the 450H, left is the 350.
I can’t imagine a 450h hesitating. Mine is lightning quick when I mash the gas & the transmission does what it’s supposed to do - It does sound annoying, but that’s what all CVTs sound like. I’m sorry you’re getting lemons.
Old 09-26-19, 08:12 PM
kolokmee
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

It has the drone at 1500 RPM and the cabin noise is loud! But the main reason is because of the transmission hesitation, which I didn't know there is a "fix". I bought the car for my wife to drive our 2 year old. When accelerating from a stop, especially uphill, it would pause and hesitate for a second, in the middle of the intersection! That's a safety issue and I didn't want to take any risk, any longer. The service rep says it's "normal" and operating "within parameters". At the time I didn't know about this forum and all the potential mitigation from the LSB.
Your post is a bit confusing. There has never been a known transmission hesitation issue with the 450h, and certainly no TSB or fix ever released for it. All the more confusing that there were two 450h that you drove that supposedly had this hesitation.

Are you sure it's not due to an unfamiliarity with the hybrid system? I recall the first few times when I drove hybrids, it subconciously felt like nothing was happening when I stepped on the pedal until the brief surge when the ICE kicked in. After a while, I realized I was guilty of driving by ear - thinking that acceleration only happens when I could hear the engine roaring/revving up.

What was really happening was that the electric motors would already be pushing the car along in silence before you heard the ICE start up. It's perfectly normal, and after a while, you learn to modulate the pedal and let the electric motors handle the low end grunt with the ICE providing a more backup role until speeds start to build up.

I had the RX350 for 2 yrs before I traded it in for the 450h. There's no way I can ever go back.
The following 2 users liked this post by kolokmee:
GSFRX350 (09-26-19), rxtimes2 (09-27-19)
Old 10-06-19, 12:43 AM
ctocto
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have you considered a lemon law?
Old 10-06-19, 05:45 AM
1halifax
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I just got a 2019 and I notice the a droning sound when the rpm is 1000. This usually happens in reverse. Is this the same issue? I do notice a small drone at 1500 as well.
Old 10-06-19, 07:59 AM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 1halifax
I just got a 2019 and I notice the a droning sound when the rpm is 1000. This usually happens in reverse. Is this the same issue? I do notice a small drone at 1500 as well.
The drone is extremely noticeable, and not small in any way. The RX has a natural exhaust sound which is what you are probably hearing. Look at my post 1410 in this thread, play the video - go into it about 6 minutes - and you will hear the drone that is objectionable.
Old 10-06-19, 02:21 PM
1halifax
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rxtimes2
The drone is extremely noticeable, and not small in any way. The RX has a natural exhaust sound which is what you are probably hearing. Look at my post 1410 in this thread, play the video - go into it about 6 minutes - and you will hear the drone that is objectionable.
The reverse is definitely not normal in my opinion as it is very noticeable.
Old 10-06-19, 02:35 PM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 1halifax
The reverse is definitely not normal in my opinion as it is very noticeable.
You might very well be right. I would take it to your dealer, drive another RX and see if it makes the same noise. If it doesn't, get the tech to ride with you so he can experience the noise. It could be something as simple as a loose heat shield. No matter, if it is unlike the other vehicle that you tested, it really should be covered under warranty. I do not believe it is the dreaded drone that some of us have experienced.
Old 10-06-19, 08:16 PM
yyzthe6
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my 2019 last week and i noticed a faint vibrating noise (which I don't think is the drone noise). I took it back to the dealership and the technician acknowledged the noise, and said it is because the driver-panel was not installed tightly so he would need to put some insulation and the tighten the panel. But he wouldn't repair it the same day, he just told me to bring it back during the 1600KM service check.
Old 10-07-19, 05:52 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 495 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by yyzthe6
I got my 2019 last week and i noticed a faint vibrating noise (which I don't think is the drone noise). I took it back to the dealership and the technician acknowledged the noise, and said it is because the driver-panel was not installed tightly so he would need to put some insulation and the tighten the panel. But he wouldn't repair it the same day, he just told me to bring it back during the 1600KM service check.
What's a "driver-panel"?
Old 10-07-19, 07:49 AM
yyzthe6
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ravenuer
What's a "driver-panel"?
Sorry, I wasn’t being clear. The vibration is coming from the driver-side door panel, it sounds like from close to where to door lock is. The vibration noise starts when I hover around 1500rpm (ie driving slow) and sometimes when I accelerate faster, the vibration happens for a brief second as it passes 1500ish rpm.

my wife says I’m being picky but admits she did notice it when she first drove the first couple times she drove the car. I still think it needs to be fixed especially for this price of a vehicle and considering Lexus is known for its quiet cabin.
The following users liked this post:
ravenuer (10-07-19)
Old 10-16-19, 02:58 PM
subaruwrx
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Went in to see 2020 RX as my lease for 2017 is coming up. To my disappointment the car still idles rough and even rougher when the tranny is in gear. Got into a ES and it was butter smooth, in fact it was almost as smooth as my E400. What I expect Lexus to be. I also had a chance to compare my RX350 with my brother’s Corolla and the Corolla idles just a tad bit smoother thn my RX. I really wanted to like my first Lexus but very disappointed with how RXs idles so rough and I’ll be staying away from Lexus for the time being.
Old 10-16-19, 03:49 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 495 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by subaruwrx
Went in to see 2020 RX as my lease for 2017 is coming up. To my disappointment the car still idles rough and even rougher when the tranny is in gear. Got into a ES and it was butter smooth, in fact it was almost as smooth as my E400. What I expect Lexus to be. I also had a chance to compare my RX350 with my brother’s Corolla and the Corolla idles just a tad bit smoother thn my RX. I really wanted to like my first Lexus but very disappointed with how RXs idles so rough and I’ll be staying away from Lexus for the time being.
My 2017 RX idles like you don't even know it's running. Ever ask your dealer to check it?
Old 10-16-19, 03:56 PM
viperr
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ravenuer
My 2017 RX idles like you don't even know it's running. Ever ask your dealer to check it?
The RX450H idle will fix any rough assumptions since most of the time the engine isn't even on at that time.

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration