RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-19, 01:52 PM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by DMPesso
what about removing the clamp and wrapping the pipe it covers in some type of muffler insulation and reinstalling the clamp? Does that sound like a good idea? I’m desperate to try this but don’t have time to keep going to a mechanic if it doesn’t work it will
damage something by removing the clamp
The picture shows that there is not enough clearance to wrap the pipe and reinstall the clamp. I am not even sure that the pipe will easily move away from the frame to install material behind the pipe, let alone wrap it. You definitely do not want to force the pipe away from the frame because you could do damage to whatever is upstream. It is possible that you will have to loosen something else to get the pipe to drop down enough to put sound isolation material behind it. A good mechanic should be able to isolate the pipe at the point of the clamp without stressing anything in the process. Talk to him/her about the concerns expressed here on the Forum and find out why they believe that leaving the clamp off is acceptable .
The following 2 users liked this post by rxtimes2:
GSFRX350 (11-23-19), ravenuer (11-23-19)
Old 11-27-19, 07:33 AM
chaochun
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Me to

[QUOTE = Eric0201; 10495848]大家好,我本周剛剛收到了新的RX350。這是我的第一台V6車輛。當引擎轉速為1500 RPM時,我發現了一些聲音。聲音比2000 RPM大,而1500 RPM的聲音有很多基礎。如果超過1500,聲音會更好。那是正常的嗎?或者我需要檢查與經銷商?[/ QUOTE]
I ’m from Taiwan. I just got the RX350 in November this year, and I ’m currently driving 500 kilometers. The same problem (drone) sounds. I ’m currently asking for help.
Old 11-27-19, 02:19 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 495 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by chaochun
[QUOTE = Eric0201; 10495848]大家好,我本周剛剛收到了新的RX350。這是我的第一台V6車輛。當引擎轉速為1500 RPM時,我發現了一些聲音。聲音比2000 RPM大,而1500 RPM的聲音有很多基礎。如果超過1500,聲音會更好。那是正常的嗎?或者我需要檢查與經銷商?[/ QUOTE]
I ’m from Taiwan. I just got the RX350 in November this year, and I ’m currently driving 500 kilometers. The same problem (drone) sounds. I ’m currently asking for help.
Let us know how you make out at your dealer.
Old 11-30-19, 07:12 AM
kenny b
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile All fixed up- Drone all gone

Hi all - purchased a 2016 RX a few months ago and have been suffering from the dreaded Drone, also had all of the other problems listed in this forum ( chirping at start up, knocking, and of course the tranny surge/bump)
Took the truck in and they installed a new flex pipe with the damper, replaced the fuel pump, vacuum pump and completed the software update on the tranny.
Happy to say it like a totally different truck , sounds and drives like a Lexus should - the drone is gone , no more bucking or surging with the tranny and the engine noise is gone.
If your on the fence and your truck is exhibiting any of these problems I strongly suggest you get it done ( before your warranty expires)
I was told by the service tech that they did approx $4700 in repairs,
Canadian ( so thats about $1000 for you US guys and gals -lol)
Old 12-13-19, 02:24 AM
LP13
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Zealand models

Hi Everyone. While I have read this thread for a long time now, I haven't posted before. Thus far I've read up to page 84 - will get to the end soon.

I recently acquired a 2016 RX450h Limited (top spec) which has done 22K miles (35K km) for my wife here in New Zealand. I'm a bit of a motoring enthusiast, now up to my 45th car as a private motorist. So I test drove at least half a dozen RXs (all variants, including up to 2018) before settling on this RX450h Ltd. I find it interesting that it has been maintained throughout this thread that the Australian RXs do not have the vibration/drone issue. Everyone of the RXs I test drove here in NZ had these issues. These would all be Japanese assembled vehicles, the same as for the Australian market. We do not get the RX200 here, just the 350 and 450h. It was because I experienced the vibration/drone on all of these vehicles that I then began researching it (including reading this thread). I just find this extremely high NVH very uncharacteristic, compared to the earlier Lexus vehicles I have owned. In the end I decided to buy the vehicle regardless, purely because of the wealth of knowledge/experience offered on this thread. This is my 8th Lexus - I have a very good relationship with my local Lexus dealership, so thought I would get them to look into some of the solutions posted on this thread. Thus far I've had the entire exhaust system realigned, joints lubed, etc. and the ECU reprogrammed. They also tightened up various key assembly bolts. The vehicle runs significantly smoother and quieter now, but some residual noise/vibration remains under 1500rpm (in which rev range the vehicle travels virtually all of the time). I'm going to approach them about the TSB next.

But still intrigued by the different experience between Australia and NZ, given that the vehicles emanate from the same Japanese factory.
Old 12-13-19, 02:57 AM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 155 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by LP13
Hi Everyone. While I have read this thread for a long time now, I haven't posted before. Thus far I've read up to page 84 - will get to the end soon.

I recently acquired a 2016 RX450h Limited (top spec) which has done 22K miles (35K km) for my wife here in New Zealand. I'm a bit of a motoring enthusiast, now up to my 45th car as a private motorist. So I test drove at least half a dozen RXs (all variants, including up to 2018) before settling on this RX450h Ltd. I find it interesting that it has been maintained throughout this thread that the Australian RXs do not have the vibration/drone issue. Everyone of the RXs I test drove here in NZ had these issues. These would all be Japanese assembled vehicles, the same as for the Australian market. We do not get the RX200 here, just the 350 and 450h. It was because I experienced the vibration/drone on all of these vehicles that I then began researching it (including reading this thread). I just find this extremely high NVH very uncharacteristic, compared to the earlier Lexus vehicles I have owned. In the end I decided to buy the vehicle regardless, purely because of the wealth of knowledge/experience offered on this thread. This is my 8th Lexus - I have a very good relationship with my local Lexus dealership, so thought I would get them to look into some of the solutions posted on this thread. Thus far I've had the entire exhaust system realigned, joints lubed, etc. and the ECU reprogrammed. They also tightened up various key assembly bolts. The vehicle runs significantly smoother and quieter now, but some residual noise/vibration remains under 1500rpm (in which rev range the vehicle travels virtually all of the time). I'm going to approach them about the TSB next.

But still intrigued by the different experience between Australia and NZ, given that the vehicles emanate from the same Japanese factory.
Maybe the difference is the person driving - some people are more attuned to NVH then others, I'm very fussy and generally don't have an issue with the NVH on my RX350 in Australia. I must say occasionally around that 1500 rpm point there maybe a slight vibration if the engine is labouring uphill, very slight and can be felt through the foot rest only. I never feel anything through the wheel, seat, console like others have said.

Old 12-13-19, 06:28 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 178 Likes on 149 Posts

what kind of octane gas you got in New Zealand?
Old 12-13-19, 07:17 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Unless I’m completely misunderstanding this, I don’t get what your issue is. The US RX models are made in Canada. The RX 450h does not have the noise that’s associated with the RX 350. The transmissions are completely different & that drastically changes the RPM ranges. I’m not aware of any TSB for the RX 450h, only the 350. The exhaust systems are somewhat different between the two models also. I have a heat shield vibration issue above the muffler, but it’s not the same thing as the 350 problem.
Old 12-13-19, 10:18 AM
gnguyen
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
Unless I’m completely misunderstanding this, I don’t get what your issue is. The US RX models are made in Canada. The RX 450h does not have the noise that’s associated with the RX 350. The transmissions are completely different & that drastically changes the RPM ranges. I’m not aware of any TSB for the RX 450h, only the 350. The exhaust systems are somewhat different between the two models also. I have a heat shield vibration issue above the muffler, but it’s not the same thing as the 350 problem.
I bought a RX450H and had the same issues. Some people didn't believe me, but here is at least the 3rd 450H owner who experienced the same issue.
Old 12-13-19, 10:35 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by gnguyen
I bought a RX450H and had the same issues. Some people didn't believe me, but here is at least the 3rd 450H owner who experienced the same issue.
Is there a TSB for the 450h?
Old 12-13-19, 02:45 PM
gnguyen
Rookie

Is there a TSB for the 450h?
Not that I'm aware of.
Old 12-13-19, 02:57 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Not that I'm aware of.
Have you recorded the noise on your phone? I’m pretty sure the 350 TSB came about from customer complaints & an automotive tester’s YouTube video where he mentioned the loud vibrations & they could be heard clearly in his video. That was pretty damning for Lexus. Document where it happens, take a video of the sounds & try to gather as much info as possible when you hear this. Without this, they will do nothing.
Old 12-14-19, 01:55 AM
gnguyen
Rookie

Have you recorded the noise on your phone? I’m pretty sure the 350 TSB came about from customer complaints & an automotive tester’s YouTube video where he mentioned the loud vibrations & they could be heard clearly in his video. That was pretty damning for Lexus. Document where it happens, take a video of the sounds & try to gather as much info as possible when you hear this. Without this, they will do nothing.
It's the exact same problems I have with my 350RX. Drones, vibration, and hesitation at 1500 RPM. I'm going to trade in the RX350 for a Cayene. Lexus will not get another dime from me and I won't recommend my vast connection.
Old 12-14-19, 06:15 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

It's the exact same problems I have with my 350RX. Drones, vibration, and hesitation at 1500 RPM. I'm going to trade in the RX350 for a Cayene. Lexus will not get another dime from me and I won't recommend my vast connection.
The Cayenne is a great vehicle, but it’s damn complicated. I looked at them - more expensive, quality ratings are a lot lower than Lexus & the big one for me was lack of authorized service. Porsche dealers are ONLY located in major metro areas & most will not come pick your vehicle up for service. Aside from that, I would be driving a Porsche. Even though the closest Lexus dealer is 200 miles from me, I know that they will (& have) come get it & drop a loaner for me whenever I need warranty service. If fuel mileage is not that important, you might want to consider the Lexus just above the RX. It uses the small V-8 & has tons of room. My loaner was brand new & it consistently got between 16-20 mpg in combined driving. You know that number will go up once break-in is accomplished. That’s just some food for thought as it’s a very different, but capable vehicle.
Old 12-15-19, 07:07 PM
joshdestar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 RX 350 AWD 26,000 - Question

Hello All

I'm looking for some clarification after scouring this thread for the answer.

I don't have a drone as the car accelerates, but it's 'loud' while accelerating, especially at 1500 RPM. However I have a vibration when car is stopped at a light.
I just bought it, but I have a good return window at no loss to me.

This thread includes 'excessive noise and vibration'; my concern is the vibration part. I know the TSB mentioned here primarily is to address the drone sound (which to me sounds like a souped up engine, with some vibration thrown in due to the growl sound)....but i've read some people say 'TSB worked, it's quiet and no vibration'. I've read others that said it's just for the sound and it didn't work etc. Another poster mentioned 'my mechanic said it runs like a 6 or 7 year old car' which is my concern; my older lexuses never developed that rougher idle.

I also have a 15 RC 350 AWD, that has no vibration at idle at all when stopped at lights, etc. Should I just return the RX and move on? I love everything else about it, but I don't want problems later.
Thank you

Last edited by joshdestar; 12-15-19 at 07:40 PM.

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration