RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-20, 10:49 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 178 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by VictorT
Both loaner and mine are 2020rx350. Loaner drive is quiet, smooth and nice. Mine is not, very loud wind noise and even vibration at Highway speed
wow that sounds like poor quality control. Lexus really dropped the ball on the RX once again.
Old 01-06-20, 01:49 PM
VictorT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DMPesso
wow that sounds like poor quality control. Lexus really dropped the ball on the RX once again.
service trying to fix different rattling noise, install noise kit, fix the tire and balance, one tire index is bad. Not sure if this will help at all with the wind noise and vibration, to me it’s more like an insulation issue. Car still at the shop, almost three weeks now. Also spoke to sale, they said I can trade in. I am not willing to trade in a take a loss. The 2020rx loaner ride is very nice though, which it is supposed to be. I think RX still a good car, this is just an unfortunate situation, the frustrating part is sale department doesn’t really want to help. Make sure you test drive extensively, there’s still a possibility that issue may come up later.
Old 01-06-20, 03:46 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 155 Likes on 124 Posts

service trying to fix different rattling noise, install noise kit, fix the tire and balance, one tire index is bad. Not sure if this will help at all with the wind noise and vibration, to me it’s more like an insulation issue. Car still at the shop, almost three weeks now. Also spoke to sale, they said I can trade in. I am not willing to trade in a take a loss. The 2020rx loaner ride is very nice though, which it is supposed to be. I think RX still a good car, this is just an unfortunate situation, the frustrating part is sale department doesn’t really want to help. Make sure you test drive extensively, there’s still a possibility that issue may come up later.
What do you mean by "one tire index is bad"?
Old 01-09-20, 09:16 PM
alin1390
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently just bought a L certified 2017 rx350 fwd luxury package and have the same issue! I regret didn't test drive more. There's SO MUCH ROAD NOISE in the cabin esp on the freeway that it seems like there's a leak somewhere, I can feel the floor vibrate as i step on the gas pedal. Last week I drop the car off to dealer and got a 2019 RX loaner. It's super quiet and more powerful/responsive. Seems like there's more insulation around the loaner rx. I just got my rx back from dealer today and they replaced the exhaust center pipe and updated ECU. The car vibration/noise improved a little but still a lot of noise from outside and engine. What's the noise kit that was installed? Did it help much?
The following users liked this post:
Ashkalan (01-14-20)
Old 01-11-20, 02:22 PM
alin1390
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default new center exhaust RATTLE after TSB

I just got the car back from Tustin lexus after TSB to replace center exhaust and ECU software update. The drone noise is better but still fairly noticeable, and changed from 1800 rpm to around 1200 rpm. I went underneath the car to see what's changed and heard the rattling noise from the new center exhaust... can anyone verify if it's normal?? Thanks!

new center exhaust after TSB
Old 01-11-20, 09:14 PM
SteveKy
Driver School Candidate

Default Thin Metal Vibration Noise RX 350 20017

Originally Posted by FiveSeven
can you let me know when yours is complete and if it made a difference?
Thin Metal Vibration Noise RX 350 2017.
Can it be fixed by Lexus?
Old 01-11-20, 10:16 PM
gnguyen
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveKy
Thin Metal Vibration Noise RX 350 2017.
Can it be fixed by Lexus?
My 2019 had all the TSBs applied. Didn't fix anything. It vibrates through the floor to the pedal, steering wheel, armrest, and it buzzes like it's in the wrong gear at 1500 RPM.
Old 01-14-20, 11:17 PM
Ashkalan
Driver School Candidate

Hi, I bought 2016 RX 350 in June 2019. It has same problem that you have/had. We don’t have dealership in our town. I have to drive 4 hours to bring it to dealership. One time I did, and they said that there is no problem with my vehicle. But still I have lots of noise and vibration at low idle rpm and on road. I am going to call them tomorrow, is it under warranty or I need to pay? What should I exactly asked them to replace and update. I would appreciate if you can share your experience.
Old 01-15-20, 01:30 AM
dibl
Instructor

Received 683 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by gnguyen
..... it buzzes like it's in the wrong gear at 1500 RPM.
Basically, it is in the wrong gear. Downshift one gear and the buzzing is gone. This is what used to be called "lugging" -- using a gear too high for the engine speed needed to move the car at the desired road speed. The result is, the exhaust and car body resonate. Chasing fuel efficiency numbers, they've programmed the shift points to minimize engine rpm, and on a flat road at steady speed it's not noticeable, but head up a mild hill from a stop or a slow turn, and there you feel it. I'm afraid it's a design feature of these models -- I don't think a "fix" is in the cards. You can prove it to yourself by putting the shifter in manual shift mode, and accelerating up the same grade while manually shifting when if feels like the engine is at a proper rpm for the next gear.

Last edited by dibl; 01-15-20 at 01:37 AM.
ravenuer (01-15-20)
Old 01-15-20, 03:48 AM
PWMDMD
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dibl
Basically, it is in the wrong gear. Downshift one gear and the buzzing is gone. This is what used to be called "lugging" -- using a gear too high for the engine speed needed to move the car at the desired road speed. The result is, the exhaust and car body resonate. Chasing fuel efficiency numbers, they've programmed the shift points to minimize engine rpm, and on a flat road at steady speed it's not noticeable, but head up a mild hill from a stop or a slow turn, and there you feel it. I'm afraid it's a design feature of these models -- I don't think a "fix" is in the cards. You can prove it to yourself by putting the shifter in manual shift mode, and accelerating up the same grade while manually shifting when if feels like the engine is at a proper rpm for the next gear.
The root of most of my issues with the RX350 seems to be the 8-speed. Too quick to upshift and too quick to downshift = spastic driving experience and lugging. My 2019 also has a significant vibration when in drive and not moving. I believe this is some issue with the torque converter. As soon as you release the brake the vibration is gone. I drove an NX300 yesterday and it does not have this vibration.
Ashkalan (01-15-20)
Old 01-15-20, 10:04 AM
gnguyen
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Makes sense. I wonder why these issues didn't show up when I test drive the car. I tested it up hill at 1500 RPM and it was smooth. I repeated the test for at least 15 minutes. The issue only showed up after 200 miles.
Old 01-15-20, 12:06 PM
dibl
Instructor

Originally Posted by gnguyen
I wonder why these issues didn't show up when I test drive the car. I tested it up hill at 1500 RPM and it was smooth. I repeated the test for at least 15 minutes. The issue only showed up after 200 miles.
I'm not the expert on it, but there is an "adaptive learning" function that changes the shifting behavior of the 8-speed transmission, based on your habitual way of driving the car. You can find posts on this forum where people have "fixed" the shifting issue by going to higher octane fuel, only to have it revert to the lugging and hunting after a period of time with the new fuel. Probably that would explain why it only began to exhibit the behavior after several hundred miles of driving.
Old 01-15-20, 12:26 PM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

I'm not the expert on it, but there is an "adaptive learning" function that changes the shifting behavior of the 8-speed transmission, based on your habitual way of driving the car. You can find posts on this forum where people have "fixed" the shifting issue by going to higher octane fuel, only to have it revert to the lugging and hunting after a period of time with the new fuel. Probably that would explain why it only began to exhibit the behavior after several hundred miles of driving.
Sometimes I drive like an 18 yr old on speed and sometimes I drive like I'm 90 with poor eyesight. Does the adaptive learning function average the 2 styles or does it just pick one.
Old 01-15-20, 12:39 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

I agree with a portion of what you said, but I think it’s more so from things breaking in & loosening up from the factory tightness due to normal driving. The video posed above where someone was beating on the exhaust with their hand confirms stuff under there is lose & rattling.
Old 01-15-20, 01:20 PM
dibl
Instructor

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
The video posed above where someone was beating on the exhaust with their hand confirms stuff under there is lose & rattling.
Of course loose or broken hardware needs to be repaired under warranty by the dealer.

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration