RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-20, 03:18 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 155 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by dibl
Basically, it is in the wrong gear. Downshift one gear and the buzzing is gone. This is what used to be called "lugging" -- using a gear too high for the engine speed needed to move the car at the desired road speed. The result is, the exhaust and car body resonate. Chasing fuel efficiency numbers, they've programmed the shift points to minimize engine rpm, and on a flat road at steady speed it's not noticeable, but head up a mild hill from a stop or a slow turn, and there you feel it. I'm afraid it's a design feature of these models -- I don't think a "fix" is in the cards. You can prove it to yourself by putting the shifter in manual shift mode, and accelerating up the same grade while manually shifting when if feels like the engine is at a proper rpm for the next gear.
There certainly is a fix, TSBs have been released to change the mapping, people on here who have had it done say it's great. The latest TSB was released in Sept 2019.

A lot of people don't notice or care so I think Lexus keep producing them the same to claim the "better" fuel economy figures, anyone who later brings it up with the dealer can have the TSB done. I'm in Australia and we don't have any TSBs for this issue, doesn't bother me too much as most of my driving is in a country town, flat conditions, small throttle openings and she's smooooth. When I go to Sydney I often put it in Sport and that takes away the majority of the problem.
Old 01-20-20, 12:32 PM
JJJP
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have been battling this issue with my 16 F Sport, I had all the TSBs and tried the additional weight on the exhaust system as mentioned in an eariler part of this thread. I have adjusted the weight multiple times and settled on putting it as far forward as I could. This has helped some but not totally eliminated it. Additionally I put two hose clamps on the flexible part of the system to stabilize it some, this helped and got a little less rattle/vibration. Now I'm thinking about having the system replaced by a custom exhaust company. Has anyone else tried any different tricks?
Old 01-20-20, 06:18 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Originally Posted by JJJP
I have been battling this issue with my 16 F Sport, I had all the TSBs and tried the additional weight on the exhaust system as mentioned in an eariler part of this thread. I have adjusted the weight multiple times and settled on putting it as far forward as I could. This has helped some but not totally eliminated it. Additionally I put two hose clamps on the flexible part of the system to stabilize it some, this helped and got a little less rattle/vibration. Now I'm thinking about having the system replaced by a custom exhaust company. Has anyone else tried any different tricks?
I don't have the issue so haven't played around with it at all, however I've always thought that it could relate to that flexible joint you mentioned. Some cars don't have the problem and others are very bad, my thinking is that flexible joint maybe tightened differently between vehicles. Interesting that you have moved the weight closer and put claps near there with some success.

Have you tried playing around with how tight that flexible joint is, tighten it, loosen it to see what difference it makes?
Old 01-20-20, 07:22 PM
JJJP
Driver School Candidate

I have looked at that joint many times, it looks tight but who knows. I will put a wrench on it and try to tightening it some.
Always afraid that I could cause a fracture somewhere along the exhaust line.
Old 01-20-20, 08:40 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

I have looked at that joint many times, it looks tight but who knows. I will put a wrench on it and try to tightening it some.
Always afraid that I could cause a fracture somewhere along the exhaust line.
Too tight maybe? It is a flexible joint. I don't want to play with mine while it's good but you don't seem to mind having a tinkle.
Old 01-21-20, 08:24 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

I think I asked this previously, but I’ll ask again. Has anyone tried wrapping either the flex pipe or part of the exhaust pipe that seems to rattle/vibrate with fiberglass exhaust wrap? You must wear a mask & gloves when handling this material, but it can make a significant decrease in heat & a significant increase in density (quiets) of that pipe. I’ve done it on motorcycles with great success, so I think maybe it’s worth looking at for those who have not had success with the TSB.
Old 01-21-20, 04:42 PM
JJJP
Driver School Candidate

Great Idea on the fiberglass wrap, is it like a casting material for broken bones, activated by dunking it in water ?

In any event, our great and powerful dealerships will not do anything when you give them a concise and credible explanation of the cause.
Old 01-21-20, 06:43 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Great Idea on the fiberglass wrap, is it like a casting material for broken bones, activated by dunking it in water ?

In any event, our great and powerful dealerships will not do anything when you give them a concise and credible explanation of the cause.
Its not really like cast material, as it stays semi-pliable. It’s used on old hot rods to reduce heat in the engine bay & to also quiet the exhaust headers a little. It just ads some density that may keep some of the vibration down.
Old 01-22-20, 04:34 PM
JJJP
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
Its not really like cast material, as it stays semi-pliable. It’s used on old hot rods to reduce heat in the engine bay & to also quiet the exhaust headers a little. It just ads some density that may keep some of the vibration down.
I will look into it and give it a try. I have got nothing to lose at this point.
Old 01-22-20, 05:05 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 178 Likes on 149 Posts

I will look into it and give it a try. I have got nothing to lose at this point.

have you tried the solution posted by the guy who did it on his highlander? The exhaust manifold clamps. Removing them takes away the drone 100% supposedly. I’ve been meaning to do this but haven’t had time. Whatever holds the exhaust in place seems to be the culprit. Makes sense because my drone is really bad in the cold but when the car warms up and the metal expands slightly from the heat it goes away...

Old 01-25-20, 08:42 AM
JJJP
Driver School Candidate

I tried putting a wrench on the flexible joint and it would not budge, must have been tightened with an air gun of some sort.
I will say that the spring in the joint did flex the exhaust pipe but would not loosen or tighten when tried. I also looked for the exhaust manifold clamps, I could not find any under the car. I might be a little lucky as I do not have the annoying drone but do have, as best described as tambourine cymbals @1200-1500 RPM. This was noted by another poster with video included as he banged the exhaust system with his fist. Resulting in the cymbal effect.
Old 01-25-20, 09:21 AM
stevemcb
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Can you believe that with over 750,000 views everything is fine. A little reprogramming of the transmission and change the section of the exhaust pipe and then try a variety of home made remedies. But remember according to a lot of dealerships “ this is normal operation for the vehicle.” What has happened to Lexus? These are fixable items but maybe would require too much re-engineering of the chassis with a complete exhaust change and require a new type of transmission. Lexus reads these forums. You can do much better than this.

Last edited by stevemcb; 02-16-20 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01-25-20, 09:55 AM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

I tried putting a wrench on the flexible joint and it would not budge, must have been tightened with an air gun of some sort.
I will say that the spring in the joint did flex the exhaust pipe but would not loosen or tighten when tried. I also looked for the exhaust manifold clamps, I could not find any under the car. I might be a little lucky as I do not have the annoying drone but do have, as best described as tambourine cymbals @1200-1500 RPM. This was noted by another poster with video included as he banged the exhaust system with his fist. Resulting in the cymbal effect.
It should be noted that the flexible joint is somewhat sensitive, and requires specific parameters to be met when installing. The springs are measured with Vernier calipers, and must be within tolerances, the space between the flanges must be consistent front-to-rear, and left-to-right, and the bolts are torqued to 32 ft/lbs.

No way would I remove, and leave off, a manifold clamp. They are a vital part of the the exhaust system. Want to void the warranty -- this is a good way to do it.
Old 01-25-20, 10:03 AM
JJJP
Driver School Candidate

Thank for the info, yes there is a lot going on there, I will stay away from it. Good advice !
This is my 7th Lexus and by far the worst one, the others were like a good dream. Oh well.
Old 01-25-20, 10:07 AM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

Thank for the info, yes there is a lot going on there, I will stay away from it. Good advice !
This is my 7th Lexus and by far the worst one, the others were like a good dream. Oh well.
JJJP, I have totally and completely fixed the drone problem on my 2016. Read my old post #1403.

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration