RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-20, 10:41 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Does that make you feel better? $5 of metal/rubber instead of $5 of plastic?
I just don’t see the point about calling a part $5 or $3...I sure as hell hope they aren’t attaching anything plastic to an exhaust system that easily gets a few hundred degrees...just saying. I may end up with this so/called repair also. My exhaust is buzzing at low speeds.
Old 08-07-20, 02:45 PM
LP13
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Death by $1000 bills!

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
You actually think Mercedes is more reliable than Lexus?! Every Mercedes owner I’ve talked to says owning a Mercedes is death by $1,000 dollar bills. Sure they make some fine cars & trucks, but they don’t come anywhere near as reliable as Toyota products. I would easily consider a nice used Mercedes diesel, but their service fees In two years would cost more than the car would be worth...just saying
Death by $1000 bills! - I absolutely love that expression! I have owned 6 Mercs in my lifetime (a long time ago), but changed to Lexus in 2000 purely because Mercs are about the least reliable vehicle that one can buy - just my experience, but JD Power stats have placed them close to the bottom of the stakes forever. Got tired of spending money on repairs on a monthly basis on things that would never go wrong on any other brand for the life of their vehicles - decided to put that money into buying a more expensive vehicle rather. Bought my first LS, and never looked back until 2 months ago, as I explained in my previous post.
Old 08-07-20, 03:03 PM
LP13
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default More customer obsessed

Originally Posted by gnguyen
Yep, I bought a 2019 RX450H and got the vibration and drone issue. Traded it for a 2019 RX350 and got the same issues. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. 30 years of Toyota and Lexus is over. I'm a software manager at Amazon with purchase power. Had they been more customer obsessed I might have given them more money. This customer is going else where now, include future friends and relatives.
Lexus absolutely was "customer obsessed" under the previous chairman and founder of the brand, Eiji Toyoda. In 2009 he authorised the replacing of my 2008 LS460 with 18000km on the clock with a brand new vehicle, with no cost to me (I was working in Dubai at the time). When Akio Toyoda replaced him as chairman in 2009, not only did the design philosophy change, but so did the "relentless pursuit of perfection" and the then unparalleled levels of customer service. I guess they were well established by then and, sadly, no longer needed to place the customer first - they could simply just go an the reputation established by the founder, and prioritise profitability instead. I have influenced countless numbers of people (because I am well-known for my interest in cars in my professional and social circles) to switch to Lexus. How sad that I must now face them with a new reality, and redirect them elsewhere.

Old 08-07-20, 03:27 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

LP13 - I was one of those folks that was swayed into going with Lexus based on their so-called reputation. I haven’t looked recently as to where Lexus falls in the Consumer Reports reliability ratings or the JD Power ratings. They have definitely dropped a little, but not a lot. I don’t want to get too far off subject here, just curious what brands you favor now & what are you recommending to others?

If I didn’t need to pull a motorcycle utility trailer, I would easily choose one of the 2 door coupes. Their quality seems to be way up there, as well as the larger SUVs with the gas-sucking V-8s. I had the GX for a service loaner & it was extremely quiet & consistent, but really inhaled the fuel. Aside from outdated tech & poor mpg, I would choose the GX over the RX if I had to do it over again. It doesn’t rattle or vibrate & I can do more towing or AWD things with it & it’s still made in Japan (correct me if I’m wrong). I seriously considered trading for a GX, but the wife really hated the lumbering handling & outdated tech. If Lexus ever brings their twin turbo V-8 diesel to the USA, I’m interested!
Old 08-09-20, 02:44 PM
wow121
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning to buy a Lexus 2020 RX350 or RX450h. Are these drone noise and vibration issues still existing in those new models?

Last edited by wow121; 08-09-20 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-09-20, 02:52 PM
eddie420

Received 630 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by wow121
I am planning to buy a Lexus 2020 RX350 or RX450h. Are these drone noise and vibration issues still exist in those new models?
Unfortunately, the forums indicate 'yes', the issue still seems to exist in the 2020 models.
The following users liked this post:
wow121 (08-09-20)
Old 08-09-20, 03:00 PM
wow121
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by eddie420
Unfortunately, the forums indicate 'yes', the issue still seems to exist in the 2020 models.
Thanks. Is it tolerable if I still decide to buy it?
Old 08-09-20, 03:14 PM
dibl
Instructor

Received 687 Likes on 401 Posts

@wow121, these "drone noises", "excessive noise and vibration", and "hesitation" issues are WAY too far into the realm of personal taste for you to rely on anyone else's opinion. Drive the car. Don't buy the car until you've driven the car under all your normal driving conditions. You need to form your own opinion, based on driving the model that you're thinking of in your typical driving style, before you make your decision. The fact that I love mine is no indication that you will love it.
The following 2 users liked this post by dibl:
gadgetman1 (08-09-20), wow121 (08-09-20)
Old 08-09-20, 03:20 PM
wow121
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dibl
@wow121, these "drone noises", "excessive noise and vibration", and "hesitation" issues are WAY too far into the realm of personal taste for you to rely on anyone else's opinion. Drive the car. Don't buy the car until you've driven the car under all your normal driving conditions. You need to form your own opinion, based on driving the model that you're thinking of in your typical driving style, before you make your decision. The fact that I love mine is no indication that you will love it.
Thanks, dibl. I totally agree with what you said. Some people said their vehicles had these issues after driving a few thousand miles. So I thought I probably cannot tell these issues with a test drive.
Old 08-09-20, 04:12 PM
AndrewTO
Driver

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Thanks, dibl. I totally agree with what you said. Some people said their vehicles had these issues after driving a few thousand miles. So I thought I probably cannot tell these issues with a test drive.
Unfortunately at this point, these issues are probably an inherent problem with the way the 4RX was designed, a "normal" characteristic as dealers love to say.

I'd ask the dealer for an extended test drive. If you show a big enough interest, I don't see why they wouldn't let you. Drive it where your normal commutes are - going to work, going grocery shopping, going into the city, etc. Perhaps some dealers might even let you keep the car for a weekend to see how it fits with your life.

If you're still unsure, I would also take an older 4RX (2016-19) for an extended test drive if the dealer has one. Chances are, if these issues pop up later on and these are very common 4RX issues, any one of the pre-owned 4RXs could exhibit these problems and you can get a feel for yourself whether it's a deal breaker.
Old 08-09-20, 04:16 PM
wow121
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AndrewTO
Unfortunately at this point, these issues are probably an inherent problem with the way the 4RX was designed, a "normal" characteristic as dealers love to say.

I'd ask the dealer for an extended test drive. If you show a big enough interest, I don't see why they wouldn't let you. Drive it where your normal commutes are - going to work, going grocery shopping, going into the city, etc. Perhaps some dealers might even let you keep the car for a weekend to see how it fits with your life.

If you're still unsure, I would also take an older 4RX (2016-19) for an extended test drive if the dealer has one. Chances are, if these issues pop up later on and these are very common 4RX issues, any one of the pre-owned 4RXs could exhibit these problems and you can get a feel for yourself whether it's a deal breaker.
Thanks, Andrew. Very well said!
Old 08-09-20, 04:57 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

I have a 2016 450h & I heard the noise on the RX 350 on a test drive. I also had it on a 2017 loaner & again on a 2019 loaner. Just drive them all & then you have someone else drive, while you sit in the back seat. You would be surprised what can hear from there when you aren’t driving.
Old 08-09-20, 11:51 PM
dibl
Instructor

Received 687 Likes on 401 Posts

... Some people said their vehicles had these issues after driving a few thousand miles. ...
Maybe. Mine has almost 28K miles on it and has been on the road 27 months, and I haven't noticed that anything has changed from when I first drove it off the dealer's lot.
Old 08-10-20, 01:52 AM
gnguyen
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks. Is it tolerable if I still decide to buy it?
Stay away from it, it's not worth it. I experienced these issues in my 2019 350 and 450. I test drove the 350 extensively and did not notice these issues until a few hundred miles later. It has gotten worse over the last 8K miles. At this price, you have a lot of options.
Old 08-10-20, 07:07 AM
AndrewTO
Driver

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by gnguyen
Stay away from it, it's not worth it. I experienced these issues in my 2019 350 and 450. I test drove the 350 extensively and did not notice these issues until a few hundred miles later. It has gotten worse over the last 8K miles. At this price, you have a lot of options.
I have to agree with this. I thought I was lucky enough to have avoided the hesitation and drone problems, and only had to deal with the vibration at idle... then rattle after rattle popped up and quite honestly, it drove me (and still does since more rattles keep popping up) absolutely nuts trying to find ways to dampen or eliminate them.

For the vast majority, they'll tolerate the drone/vibration/rattles or take it as the way the car was designed, but if you know any one of these issues might drive you up the wall, don't even take the chance.

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration