RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-21, 12:42 PM
gnguyen
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TrueOX
Guys,

I have an RX350L 2018. The engine noise is quite loud and there is major vibration during idling in the drive gear. Iding in Park isn't bad but you definitely feel the vibration when I am idling in gear.
I brought the Lexus dealer and have them checked and they can't find anything wrong with it and they said it is normal for that version of RX350L. I think they BSing me as it is not a luxury car feel. It should be quiet during idle.
is your quiet? can you hear the engine noise while idling?
I have a 2019 RX350. It drives and feels like a tractor and of course the dealer told me it's operating "within specs" and its normal. All the loaners I have driven are similar in noise and vibration. Lexus dropped the ball on the 4th gen RX. You should check out the prominent drone&vibration thread.
The following users liked this post:
NCRX350 (01-08-21)
Old 01-08-21, 12:47 PM
TrueOX
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can concur with louder engine noise when you step on the gas. the noise bothers me most when the car is idling at the red light and the steering wheel vibrates. It is not extreme but it can definitely feel the vibration event if you are not paying attention. the vibrate goes away when it is in Park mode.
NCRX350 (01-08-21)
Old 01-08-21, 12:50 PM
TrueOX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gnguyen
I have a 2019 RX350. It drives and feels like a tractor and of course the dealer told me it's operating "within specs" and its normal. All the loaners I have driven are similar in noise and vibration. Lexus dropped the ball on the 4th gen RX. You should check out the prominent drone&vibration thread.
like driving a tractor is a good way to put it.. for a luxury brand, that is bad. I did not remember it was that bad when I 1st brought it home.
NCRX350 (01-08-21)
Old 01-08-21, 01:31 PM
gnguyen
Rookie

like driving a tractor is a good way to put it.. for a luxury brand, that is bad. I did not remember it was that bad when I 1st brought it home.
Mine has gotten progressively worse over time, at 9K miles. When I bought the car, I was aware of the inherent issues in this model year and test drove it extensively. It was smooth like butter during the test drive. I focused on the drone&vibration issues at about 1500 RMP and they were not there. So, I thought I had a good car, until 200 miles later all the dreaded issues started to show up. They've applied all the TSBs and the car have been at the shop at least 5 times. So much for refinement--my 2006 beat up Tacoma drives and feels better than my 2019 RX350. It's quite evident that many owners are experiencing these issue.
NCRX350 (01-08-21)
Old 01-08-21, 06:55 PM
TrueOX
Driver School Candidate

everything you said happens to me, the noise is getting worse. mine has 9K on it now and it is a lot louder than before. call Lexus and file a complaint with them.
Old 01-09-21, 06:13 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

I wonder if all these people hearing rumbling noise are not hearing tire noise rather than car noise.
This appears to me to be the case as they say that it gets worse with miles and that is exactly how tire rumble (with some tires) is, as the tire wears the rumble gets worse.
coolbrazz (01-12-21)
Old 01-09-21, 08:14 AM
TrueOX
Driver School Candidate

I am not sure about others, mine is idling at the red light, the engine humming noise and the wheel vibration bothers me because it is a luxury car. I can concur with a none luxury car.
Old 01-09-21, 08:24 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,510 Likes on 1,793 Posts

My wife's RX is at 50k miles and other that the slight drone, she has none of these issues. Cruises on the highway can put me to sleep😀
The following 2 users liked this post by mikemu30:
coolbrazz (01-12-21), rxtimes2 (01-10-21)
Old 01-09-21, 08:28 AM
TrueOX
Driver School Candidate

what about during idling at the stop sign or red light? no engine noise or minor steering wheel vibration at all? if so, you are one of a few lucky ones.
Old 01-09-21, 01:55 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,510 Likes on 1,793 Posts

what about during idling at the stop sign or red light? no engine noise or minor steering wheel vibration at all? if so, you are one of a few lucky ones.
NONE absolutely not.
Old 01-10-21, 05:13 PM
Paul B
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I wonder if there is a difference of noise and vibration between Japan and N. America built vehicles?
Old 01-12-21, 02:28 PM
coolbrazz
Advanced

Received 173 Likes on 134 Posts

I had a 2016 RX, and put 30k miles on it. Never had the vibration or road noise. I did have that drone noise I guess when the trans got confused shifting into low gear too soon at times. They improved that with the 2020 I have now. Still no road noise or vibration. It got to be the tires, wheels, or rear bearings imo. I agree that it shouldn't do that if you have warranty left have them to check the wheel bearings.

Old 01-12-21, 03:34 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by coolbrazz
I had a 2016 RX, and put 30k miles on it. Never had the vibration or road noise. I did have that drone noise I guess when the trans got confused shifting into low gear too soon at times. They improved that with the 2020 I have now. Still no road noise or vibration. It got to be the tires, wheels, or rear bearings imo. I agree that it shouldn't do that if you have warranty left have them to check the wheel bearings.
I could be wrong, but the loaners I’ve had, the test drives I’ve done & the YouTube video, all point to the exhaust system. You hear it more than feel it. If it were wheel bearings, it would change sound & vibration in accordance with speed. Also, we would be reading about several folks having bearing & bearing races torn up & we’re not. I’ve had vehicles with bad bearings where you felt it constantly & it was very audible that increased with speed & decreased when slowing down. I’m 98% sure it’s not wheel bearings.
Old 01-12-21, 03:51 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 155 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by coolbrazz
The vibration in mine is very subtle, around my area which is flat and when using small throttle openings it's not there. Only when under load will I feel the vibration, again it's subtle most of the time. Ambient temperature appears to change how severe it is as does vehicle temperature. There's many variables in these type of things.

It's the engine and/or exhaust system, can't be tyres, wheels and wheel bearings, no definitely not. Happens when not moving.

Myself and many on here have put the car in Drive, put the brake on and try giving it throttle, that's when you can make it happen - it's under load at that point and the vibration can be felt. I feel it mainly through the footrest and occasionally through the steering wheel.
Old 01-12-21, 07:48 PM
gnguyen
Rookie

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
The vibration in mine is very subtle, around my area which is flat and when using small throttle openings it's not there. Only when under load will I feel the vibration, again it's subtle most of the time. Ambient temperature appears to change how severe it is as does vehicle temperature. There's many variables in these type of things.

It's the engine and/or exhaust system, can't be tyres, wheels and wheel bearings, no definitely not. Happens when not moving.

Myself and many on here have put the car in Drive, put the brake on and try giving it throttle, that's when you can make it happen - it's under load at that point and the vibration can be felt. I feel it mainly through the footrest and occasionally through the steering wheel.
People need to read the thread before making comments like it's the tire or ball bearing. You'd think with this many comments and views people know what the real issue is. Lexus already acknowledged the drone/noise issue and has a TSB for it, so it's not a tire/bearing issue. A TSB also means enough people complained about it, so it's not a small one off issue like many made it out to be. Applying the TSB has been know to either fix or make the issue worse. It wish I didn't get the TSB.

Last edited by gnguyen; 01-12-21 at 07:54 PM.
gadgetman1 (01-12-21)

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration