RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-22, 10:00 AM
OReliable
Rookie

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Ended up purchasing 3 more dampers for $35.44ea from https://www.griecotoyotaparts.com/ (cheapest I found with free shipping) and NO TAX for NJ.

The following 2 users liked this post by OReliable:
FastFord (11-11-22), PeeVee (11-09-22)
Old 11-09-22, 11:22 AM
eddie420

Received 630 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by OReliable
Ended up purchasing 3 more dampers for $35.44ea from https://www.griecotoyotaparts.com/ (cheapest I found with free shipping) and NO TAX for NJ.
Definitely post pictures after you complete the installation!
The following 2 users liked this post by eddie420:
gadgetman1 (11-09-22), PeeVee (11-09-22)
Old 11-09-22, 12:19 PM
alan2955
Driver

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Hmm that’s interesting because I only get the droning while driving on flat or slightly inclined roads (not downhill). I have tried revving it to 1500rpm while in my driveway, but did not notice anything.

Which part is the spring loaded joint that you speak of? A picture would be great unless you’re speaking of the joint between #1 and #3.

I got the best result from placing it in location #1, with the weight damper hanging below the cat converter (you’ll know what I mean when you try to install it). To me it sounded better the weight on the passenger side, but yours may vary.
In location #2, it dampened it as well, but not as much as #1 did. #3 was negligible in my opinion, but I will re-test this weekend.

I bought the 2 1/2” and the 2 3/4” exhaust clamp from AutoZone. In my opinion, you can probably get away with using 2 of the 2 1/2” clamps. Also buy extra nuts and washers while you’re there. I believe it’s a 3/8” nut from my memory. I’ll be ordering another exhaust damper, just to test different location combinations. In addition, I’m going to re-install it using only 1 clamp to see if there’s more/less vibrations.

So to summarize what I’ll be testing this weekend.
Location #1 with 2 1/2” clamp (weight facing passenger)
Location #1 with 2 1/2” clamp and 2 3/4” clamp
Location #2 with 2 1/2” clamp
Location #2 with 2 1/2” clamp and 2 3/4” clamp

With 2 weights
Location #1 and #3

. Here’s a picture underneath my car. As I stated, Lexus already changed the catalytic converter section to have a weight mounted on it, but it didn’t really make any improvement. I guess that would be your position number three. It might help yours, but it did not help mine.

So the new weight needs to be put to the left side of the joint with the springs? In other words, the far left side of the picture which is closest to the engine.
So if I’m understanding you right, I need to mount another weight to the far left side of what you see in this picture just to the left of the spring-loaded flex joint. Also, do I have to break out the fiber washer that is on the Toyota part? Looks like it might make it too thick to get a nut on it.

Last edited by alan2955; 11-09-22 at 12:42 PM.
Old 11-09-22, 12:53 PM
OReliable
Rookie

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by alan2955
. Here’s a picture underneath my car. As I stated, Lexus already changed the catalytic converter section to have a weight mounted on it, but it didn’t really make any improvement. I guess that would be your position number three. It might help yours, but it did not help mine.

So the new weight needs to be put to the left side of the joint with the springs? In other words, the far left side of the picture which is closest to the engine.
So if I’m understanding you right, I need to mount another weight to the far left side of what you see in this picture just to the left of the spring-loaded flex joint. Also, do I have to break out the fiber washer that is on the Toyota part? Looks like it might make it too thick to get a nut on it.
In your picture, I would put the damper to the left of the joint. You can play around if driver side or passenger side works better for you. I found that it worked better with the weight hanging lower the exhaust sort of like a camera stabilizer hanging off the bottom. I’ll have to retest to confirm my findings. You can actually put the 2 1/2” exhaust clamp in between the exhaust pipe and the springs. The fiber washer did break on me when I was doing a dry fit with just the exhaust clamp. I would say try to use a round file or a pencil with some 100 grit sandpaper to open the hole a little bit as it’s a little tight. I did notice that there was some heat being transferred to the damper in my setup, but not sure how much of a difference actually having the washers make since it’s right next to the exhaust anyway.

The following 2 users liked this post by OReliable:
alan2955 (11-09-22), FastFord (11-09-22)
Old 11-09-22, 07:12 PM
alan2955
Driver

Default Wonder if the spring loaded flex joint is a culprit?

I’ve been pondering why my car seems just fine every time I takeoff with a cool exhaust system, but then it starts droning after about a mile. Even if the ENGINE is mostly warmed up, it feels and sounds great until I go about a mile, and then there comes the vibration and droning. I wonder if some of those spring-loaded flex joints between the engine and catalytic converter are either too tight or too loose, and start transmitting vibrations after the exhaust system warms up a bit? Just another thought about why there’s so much variability between different cars, and also between a hot exhaust system and a cool exhaust system. Anybody else notice the car seems OK when the exhaust is cold, but quickly starts droning after it warms up. One of the service guys at my dealership acknowledged that they too have noticed this tendency.

Last edited by alan2955; 11-09-22 at 07:22 PM.
Old 11-09-22, 07:15 PM
alan2955
Driver

In your picture, I would put the damper to the left of the joint. You can play around if driver side or passenger side works better for you. I found that it worked better with the weight hanging lower the exhaust sort of like a camera stabilizer hanging off the bottom. I’ll have to retest to confirm my findings. You can actually put the 2 1/2” exhaust clamp in between the exhaust pipe and the springs. The fiber washer did break on me when I was doing a dry fit with just the exhaust clamp. I would say try to use a round file or a pencil with some 100 grit sandpaper to open the hole a little bit as it’s a little tight. I did notice that there was some heat being transferred to the damper in my setup, but not sure how much of a difference actually having the washers make since it’s right next to the exhaust anyway.
I found a very easy to open up the fiber washers, just by taking a smaller drill and running it around inside the hole until it opens it up a bit. I don’t think my exhaust clamps have much excess thread to enable using extra nuts or washers. With the fiber washer still in place on both sides of the weight I don’t know if I can even get a nut on it. Really won’t be able to tell until I can get under the car.
Old 11-10-22, 07:01 AM
alan2955
Driver

Default Toyota dampener weight definitely helps somewhat.

I went to a muffler shop today and the guy installed the dampener weight for me. Forward of the catalytic converter. For free no less. While not perfect, I notice a little improvement in the noise and vibration issues around 1400 to 1800 RPM. I don’t think these things are ever going to be perfect. Lexus kind of dropped the ball in the NVH department. The car is still very unrefined for a luxury brand automobile. The weight added with a muffler clamp did more good though than all the expensive fixes they tried like changing out my catalytic converter, and replacing a motor mount. Unbelievable that Lexus is this ignorant about how to fix their own product. I suppose they’re still better quality than most other cars, but this is really ridiculous, and makes me hesitant to ever buy another one. Looking forward to hearing what kind of luck other people have with these weights as they experiment with various locations. Mine still is a lot better when the exhaust system is cold and gets worse as soon as I go a mile or so, and it warms up. That’s a very puzzling thing. You would think Lexus has engineers smart enough to know why. I also drove my 2018 Audi A5 convertible today. It’s a turbo four-cylinder. I tried very slowly revving it up in park throughout the rev range that causes so much trouble on the Lexus, and the thing is smooth as butter throughout any speed from idle to 2000 rpm. It’s so smooth, it almost feels like an electric motor instead of an engine. I guess Lexus needs to hire Audi’s engineers to design their motor mounts and exhaust systems.

Last edited by alan2955; 11-14-22 at 05:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
J123rx350 (11-14-22)
Old 11-14-22, 05:44 PM
alan2955
Driver

Default Dealer lies to Lexus corporate!

Well, now I am more steamed than ever. The diagnostic foreman at the dealer (Tom Wood Lexus Indianapolis) repeatedly admitted to me that my car doesn’t sound very good, but they’ve done all they can do per Lexus instructions. I called the service manager a week ago today to ask where do we go from here, and he was supposed to call me back the next day. We had nothing but a cordial conversation, and there were no heated words. But a full week went by and he never called me back so I called him again this morning and he still never called me back. Meanwhile, I initiated a chat on the Lexus Facebook page, and they have rather rudely replied to me that the service department has declared that my car is ‘operating as designed’. Well, if it’s operating as designed, why did they put it in the shop 2 times for a total of 11 days, and replace part of the exhaust system the first visit, and a motor mount on the second? Lexus has told me as far as they are concerned it’s a closed case because the service department said it’s operating OK. So where do I go from here folks? How do I get a Lexus field representative to look at this piece of junk? I’ve been a loyal Toyota customer, but this is really burning me up. In fact I’ve bought $190,000 worth of their vehicles since the 2017 model year! As far as I’m concerned, the dealer is outright lying, because they admitted to me that it’s not very good but they’re telling Lexus that it’s working just fine. The service manager has never looked at the car with me and I’m not sure he’s ever looked at it whatsoever. Also mind you before I even initiated my first service visit, I asked the salesman to drive another new RX 350, and it was far better than mine in terms of noise and vibration around 1600 RPM. Can you believe that the service manager doesn’t return customer calls to people that just bought a $60,000 vehicle from their dealership? Unbelievable!

Last edited by alan2955; 11-14-22 at 05:54 PM.
gadgetman1 (11-14-22)
Old 11-14-22, 06:17 PM
KevMaster
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, now I am more steamed than ever. The diagnostic foreman at the dealer (Tom Wood Lexus Indianapolis) repeatedly admitted to me that my car doesn’t sound very good, but they’ve done all they can do per Lexus instructions. I called the service manager a week ago today to ask where do we go from here, and he was supposed to call me back the next day. We had nothing but a cordial conversation, and there were no heated words. But a full week went by and he never called me back so I called him again this morning and he still never called me back. Meanwhile, I initiated a chat on the Lexus Facebook page, and they have rather rudely replied to me that the service department has declared that my car is ‘operating as designed’. Well, if it’s operating as designed, why did they put it in the shop 2 times for a total of 11 days, and replace part of the exhaust system the first visit, and a motor mount on the second? Lexus has told me as far as they are concerned it’s a closed case because the service department said it’s operating OK. So where do I go from here folks? How do I get a Lexus field representative to look at this piece of junk? I’ve been a loyal Toyota customer, but this is really burning me up. In fact I’ve bought $190,000 worth of their vehicles since the 2017 model year! As far as I’m concerned, the dealer is outright lying, because they admitted to me that it’s not very good but they’re telling Lexus that it’s working just fine. The service manager has never looked at the car with me and I’m not sure he’s ever looked at it whatsoever. Also mind you before I even initiated my first service visit, I asked the salesman to drive another new RX 350, and it was far better than mine in terms of noise and vibration around 1600 RPM. Can you believe that the service manager doesn’t return customer calls to people that just bought a $60,000 vehicle from their dealership? Unbelievable!
If this goes nowhere after 3 times, call Steve Lehto. He's the expert on lemon law buybacks
alan2955 (11-14-22)
Old 11-16-22, 10:44 AM
J123rx350
Rookie

I look forward to hearing how everything proceeds. I have complained several times to Herb Chambers regarding the vibration i feel in the steering wheel while sitting in drive at idle. They just do what they are hired to do, tell you it's. normal and a non-issue. They don't have any power to help. I am disappointed that after buying a new lexus that it is not a luxury car to the level I expected. Obviously lexus is not going to resolve these issues. Shame on me for expecting a nice car that I love driving. I do like the car with the exception of this which makes me dislike the car.
I wish alan2955 the best and hope he gets a resolution soon...
Old 11-16-22, 11:45 AM
alan2955
Driver

Originally Posted by J123rx350
I look forward to hearing how everything proceeds. I have complained several times to Herb Chambers regarding the vibration i feel in the steering wheel while sitting in drive at idle. They just do what they are hired to do, tell you it's. normal and a non-issue. They don't have any power to help. I am disappointed that after buying a new lexus that it is not a luxury car to the level I expected. Obviously lexus is not going to resolve these issues. Shame on me for expecting a nice car that I love driving. I do like the car with the exception of this which makes me dislike the car.
I wish alan2955 the best and hope he gets a resolution soon...
Obviously Lexus has gotten lazy and arrogant in how they build and service cars. Saying this exhaust drone is ok in a 60k crossover is ridiculous. They know it’s an issue, but they are too cheap to solve it. My service manager is still in hiding. We had only one brief conversation, and I was totally cordial, but he’s too rude to return a call. Will be calling the GM of the dealership soon. Also Lexus refuses to have a field engineer listen to my car. Really neat service. Even in the darkest days of the 80’s GM and Ford would have a field engineer listen to a problem vehicle!
Old 11-16-22, 04:55 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

You could send an email to someone on the Executive team. Then you'll get a call from a senior Lexus rep that will open a case for you. Not sure that would resolve the problem as they still tend to brush it under the carpet. When my brakes failed and the pedal went almost to the floor, they told me that I engaged the ABS. Yea, that's what happened at 20 mph slowing down for a left-hand turn on completely dry warm roads, yup the ABS system engaged.

Best to send an email at night where it won't get intercepted by admin staff.
alan2955 (11-16-22)
Old 11-16-22, 05:07 PM
KevMaster
Rookie

Originally Posted by FastFord
You could send an email to someone on the Executive team. Then you'll get a call from a senior Lexus rep that will open a case for you. Not sure that would resolve the problem as they still tend to brush it under the carpet. When my brakes failed and the pedal went almost to the floor, they told me that I engaged the ABS. Yea, that's what happened at 20 mph slowing down for a left-hand turn on completely dry warm roads, yup the ABS system engaged.

If its not leaking, that's an ABS malfunction right there
alan2955 (11-16-22)
Old 11-16-22, 05:46 PM
alan2955
Driver

Originally Posted by FastFord

Is that a higher level than who I have already talked to at Lexus? She was very nice, but totally ignored the fact this has been an ongoing problem with the RX since this body style came out. She basically said the dealer has done all the repairs that Lexus knows to do, and they’re sorry that I’m not satisfied, but they are done with working on it. What a joke. I had a cheap 2009 Chevy HHR that had a quieter exhaust system than this thing, and less engine vibrations! As for the service manager, she said he was going to call me this week but he still hasn’t called and now it’s been 11 days since I first called him. I’m tempted to call the general manager of the dealership and ask them why their service manager won’t return a call to somebody that just bought a $60,000 vehicle. I know Lexus is probably more reliable than most other brands of cars but their customer service down right stinks. How do you contact this executive team? If my car just sounded like it does for the first mile every time I start it, I would not be complaining, although that wouldn’t even be luxury class, but at least it would be decent. The damn droning and vibrations get a lot worse after about a mile. And it applies whether you have the car in park or are actually driving it. Something in the exhaust system is obviously heating up and getting in a bind causing the transfer of this noise and vibration. I still wonder if it’s that stupid spring loaded coupling that’s forward of the catalytic converter.

Last edited by alan2955; 11-16-22 at 05:51 PM.
Old 11-17-22, 06:21 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Is that a higher level than who I have already talked to at Lexus? She was very nice, but totally ignored the fact this has been an ongoing problem with the RX since this body style came out. She basically said the dealer has done all the repairs that Lexus knows to do, and they’re sorry that I’m not satisfied, but they are done with working on it. What a joke. I had a cheap 2009 Chevy HHR that had a quieter exhaust system than this thing, and less engine vibrations! As for the service manager, she said he was going to call me this week but he still hasn’t called and now it’s been 11 days since I first called him. I’m tempted to call the general manager of the dealership and ask them why their service manager won’t return a call to somebody that just bought a $60,000 vehicle. I know Lexus is probably more reliable than most other brands of cars but their customer service down right stinks. How do you contact this executive team? If my car just sounded like it does for the first mile every time I start it, I would not be complaining, although that wouldn’t even be luxury class, but at least it would be decent. The damn droning and vibrations get a lot worse after about a mile. And it applies whether you have the car in park or are actually driving it. Something in the exhaust system is obviously heating up and getting in a bind causing the transfer of this noise and vibration. I still wonder if it’s that stupid spring loaded coupling that’s forward of the catalytic converter.
Have you tried another dealer that’s NOT part of the same auto group? Yes, you may have to drive a ways, but the more documentation you have, the better your position will be for either a fix or a lemon law case.
alan2955 (11-17-22)

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration