RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-22, 08:09 AM
alan2955
Driver

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
Have you tried another dealer that’s NOT part of the same auto group? Yes, you may have to drive a ways, but the more documentation you have, the better your position will be for either a fix or a lemon law case.
I’m driving it to Ft Lauderdale in mid January. I’ll be getting the 5k service there, and I’ll have that dealer assess the drone then.
Old 11-18-22, 12:41 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Sad to say you will probably have to find a solution yourself. This issue has been going on for years. This and the hesitation issues. Lexus doesn't have a fix and will never have a fix. They don't even acknowledge that there is a problem. I agree with the people that have this mystery issue how frustrating it is. Some have it, some don't,

I had a small drone in my 2016 and a small drone (with the new exhaust) on my 2022. My main complaint with the 2016 was the hesitation. Mine was bad!

There is one good solution, but it hurts financially. Sell it! I got rid of my 2016 took a bit of a hit, but never regretted it. These days you might get really good $$ for the trade on something. At least you'll get a better nights sleep.
The following users liked this post:
alan2955 (11-23-22)
Old 11-20-22, 10:02 PM
OReliable
Rookie

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by alan2955
I’ve been pondering why my car seems just fine every time I takeoff with a cool exhaust system, but then it starts droning after about a mile. Even if the ENGINE is mostly warmed up, it feels and sounds great until I go about a mile, and then there comes the vibration and droning. I wonder if some of those spring-loaded flex joints between the engine and catalytic converter are either too tight or too loose, and start transmitting vibrations after the exhaust system warms up a bit? Just another thought about why there’s so much variability between different cars, and also between a hot exhaust system and a cool exhaust system. Anybody else notice the car seems OK when the exhaust is cold, but quickly starts droning after it warms up. One of the service guys at my dealership acknowledged that they too have noticed this tendency.
Hey Alan, so interestingly enough, while fine tuning the exhaust clamps, I noticed that my spherical exhaust joint (the joint with the springs) is somewhat uneven. From my understanding, it does allow some freedom of movement, but it does make me wonder if it’s causing a slight buffering or interference in the exhaust.

So far, I’ve noticed that you only really need the damper weight installed right in front of the spherical exhaust joint (location #1). When I tried to have all 4 weights on the exhaust in location 1 and 2, it would cause some weird vibrations at about 1000 rpm when I back out of the driveway.
Location #3 does absolutely nothing in terms of the vibration or vibration at least in my RX.

When I get a chance tomorrow, I’ll see if I can install only 2 weights at location #1 and see how that goes.

Last edited by OReliable; 11-21-22 at 09:46 AM.
alan2955 (11-23-22)
Old 11-21-22, 01:21 AM
dibl
Instructor

Received 687 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by RXOwner
... I am seeing the RPMs too low at times and requires too much throttle to get it to downshift. Also stuttering or slight misfiring under light to medium load under 2000rpm.
Prepare yourself -- you will soon be informed by your dealer that your car is performing as designed, and there is nothing to fix. Compared to legacy automatic transmission gear shifting points within the RPM range, Lexus has programmed this Aisin 8-speed transmission to lug the engine, to maximize fuel economy. There was a service bulletin for the first several years of the Gen. 4 units, including my 2018, that moderated the issue somewhat -- I'm not sure if is applicable to the recent model years. You can find it way back in the earlier pages of this thread.

Personally, I have found that Shell 89 octane or Costco 91 octane gas provides a smoother driving experience, but many other owners don't agree. I also installed a Pedal Commander throttle response controller and set it to speed up the laggy OEM response.
ravenuer (11-21-22)
Old 11-21-22, 12:20 PM
J123rx350
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Now that the weather is turning cooler again I noticed that when I initially drive while cold there is no vibration at all...temperature outside was approximately 35 but when the the car warmed up the vibration came back. Makes me shake my head wondering what could be the cause. Not sure I will ever figure out why. Maybe Lexus will send out a bulletin with a fix...haha
alan2955 (11-23-22)
Old 11-21-22, 01:26 PM
OReliable
Rookie

Default Call lexus

So I just called Lexus Custom Support (800) 255-3987) and they basically said if you have an issue with your car and you purchased it recently, CALL THEM IMMEDIATELY. Even if you go to a dealership, they do not share your service records with Lexus HQ until you call their support number. My CS rep said that there should not be any droning or vibration on a new Lexus, especially the RX.
The following 2 users liked this post by OReliable:
alan2955 (11-23-22), J123rx350 (11-22-22)
Old 11-21-22, 05:55 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 497 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by J123rx350
Now that the weather is turning cooler again I noticed that when I initially drive while cold there is no vibration at all...temperature outside was approximately 35 but when the the car warmed up the vibration came back. Makes me shake my head wondering what could be the cause. Not sure I will ever figure out why. Maybe Lexus will send out a bulletin with a fix...haha
I would guess it's because the engine is at a higher idle when cold?
Old 11-23-22, 09:36 AM
alan2955
Driver

Originally Posted by dibl
Prepare yourself -- you will soon be informed by your dealer that your car is performing as designed, and there is nothing to fix. Compared to legacy automatic transmission gear shifting points within the RPM range, Lexus has programmed this Aisin 8-speed transmission to lug the engine, to maximize fuel economy. There was a service bulletin for the first several years of the Gen. 4 units, including my 2018, that moderated the issue somewhat -- I'm not sure if is applicable to the recent model years. You can find it way back in the earlier pages of this thread.

Personally, I have found that Shell 89 octane or Costco 91 octane gas provides a smoother driving experience, but many other owners don't agree. I also installed a Pedal Commander throttle response controller and set it to speed up the laggy OEM response.
I think the fixed the laggy throttle by the 2022 model year. Mine is almost too touchy in normal, and even is pretty responsive in economy mode. And it down shifts extremely easily , which results in a lot of transmission hunting. I had a 2017 Highlander though that had terrible throttle response and hesitation issues.
Old 11-23-22, 09:39 AM
alan2955
Driver

Originally Posted by ravenuer
I would guess it's because the engine is at a higher idle when cold?
no, according to my service manager it is quite common for people say they don’t drone and vibrate when the exhaust system is cold, but as soon as it heats up the trouble begins. Mine sounds totally like a normal car until I drive about a mile.

ravenuer (11-23-22)
Old 11-26-22, 11:14 AM
J123rx350
Rookie

When you spoke to the CS rep, was there any discussion with regards to what lexus plans to do to help you resolve these concerns ? I plan on calling if you think there may be anything that the dealer can do to fix the issue ? I was pretty discouraged when I spoke with the dealer and was informed that what is occurring is perfectly normal. It was not that they did not agree with me, they just said it was normal.
Thanks...
Old 11-26-22, 11:34 AM
OReliable
Rookie

Originally Posted by J123rx350
When you spoke to the CS rep, was there any discussion with regards to what lexus plans to do to help you resolve these concerns ? I plan on calling if you think there may be anything that the dealer can do to fix the issue ? I was pretty discouraged when I spoke with the dealer and was informed that what is occurring is perfectly normal. It was not that they did not agree with me, they just said it was normal.
Thanks...
When I brought in my car to the dealer the first time, I was told by the service manager that there isn’t “anything” they can do unless corporate releases something, which is a bunch of malarkey if you ask me. Simply put, they didn’t want to work on something that’s not going to pay them money. It didn’t sit well with me that a 60k car, has more vibrations and droning than my 97’ Toyota Corolla with shot engine mounts.

When I called the CS rep, they created a case for me. She told me that the case manager would call me the next day (which they did). Unfortunately since it’s a long weekend this week for Thanksgiving, I should be hearing back from them this Monday. I would still call Lexus corporate so that they have it documented in their system. My thinking is…if they know which vehicles are affected, they can determine the period of time, the parts used, the assembly process, as well as who assembled it. Also, from what I’ve been told, a dealership does not tell Lexus corporate about these things unless it is corporate themselves asking. I’ll continue to post updates here as my case progresses as it doesn’t seem like anyone has had their issue completely fixed.
Old 11-29-22, 02:47 PM
alan2955
Driver

Originally Posted by OReliable
When I brought in my car to the dealer the first time, I was told by the service manager that there isn’t “anything” they can do unless corporate releases something, which is a bunch of malarkey if you ask me. Simply put, they didn’t want to work on something that’s not going to pay them money. It didn’t sit well with me that a 60k car, has more vibrations and droning than my 97’ Toyota Corolla with shot engine mounts.

When I called the CS rep, they created a case for me. She told me that the case manager would call me the next day (which they did). Unfortunately since it’s a long weekend this week for Thanksgiving, I should be hearing back from them this Monday. I would still call Lexus corporate so that they have it documented in their system. My thinking is…if they know which vehicles are affected, they can determine the period of time, the parts used, the assembly process, as well as who assembled it. Also, from what I’ve been told, a dealership does not tell Lexus corporate about these things unless it is corporate themselves asking. I’ll continue to post updates here as my case progresses as it doesn’t seem like anyone has had their issue completely fixed.
I finally got the service manager to agree to get Lexus to look at the car and I told him I will be gone until December 4. So lo and behold they called me last Friday and told me they want to look at my car this past Monday. Of course I’m not anywhere near Indianapolis to take it into them. I told the guy I’m available any other time in December, and of course he tells me that the factory guy is on vacation the rest of the month of December. This is nothing but a stinking joke at this point. I love how Lexus claims they’re working as intended, when every one of them is different. I’ve driven three of them. Mine has a very low pitched drone, another one they loaned me had a higher pitched buzzing noise at 1600 RPM that rattled interior parts, and a third one I drove off the lot had no problems at all. I can’t believe Toyota is putting out garbage like this, and not standing behind it. So much for quality control. 🙄
Old 11-29-22, 03:24 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Document EVERYTHING & contact a lemon law attorney. Usually, the vehicle will need to be in service for the same thing 3 times, but it varies from state to state.
Old 11-29-22, 04:06 PM
J123rx350
Rookie

The entire ordeal is crazy. I don't doubt for a second that the Kia was a smooth running car, they are trying to make a name and make customers happy with a quality product. Like others on this thread I am disappointed with the responses from Lexus and the fact that so many have complained about the same issues with out resolution to any of them, other than buying a dampening weight and installing it in order to reduce the vibration. It is not logical that you buy a luxury car and need to do this...
It would be great if Lexus would own these issues and give them the attention you would expect from a good company...
Old 12-01-22, 10:25 AM
OReliable
Rookie

I was able to replicate the droning by having the car in drive with my foot on the brake and revving it to about 1500rpm. Hopefully this makes it easier to diagnose for those who are bringing their cars in. Still working with the case manager on this issue.

The following 2 users liked this post by OReliable:
gadgetman1 (12-01-22), RX4Lily (03-12-24)

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration