RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-22, 06:21 PM
alan2955
Driver

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by RealWing
Summit Racing https://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-694722-1

But note that mine is a 2015 RX350. The 4th Gen may need different size clamps.
Jim
Thanks. I found the stainless clamps they sell at advance auto parts work the best. Depending on where you put it on the exhaust, you need a 2 1/2 inch, or 2 3/4 inch. Unfortunately, though I have put the Toyota weights in several locations and there is little to no improvement. Currently I have one forward of the catalytic converter, plus the factory one that’s on the converter assembly, plus one right after the converter and the damn thing, still drones like crazy after it warms up. Sounds perfectly fine the 1st mile or so after a cold start. I give up. I’m gonna let the damn thing drone, and trade it off as soon as possible, probably in the spring. Lexus can take their cars and shove them. It just blows my mind that they are selling garbage like this, and refused to do anything about it. I will be in Florida when my 5000 mile service is due and I will bring it up with the Lexus dealer in Fort Lauderdale but I’m betting I won’t get any satisfaction. If I go that route though, I will have to remove the two weights that I have added to it. But I don’t think they’re really doing much of anything anyhow.

Last edited by alan2955; 12-20-22 at 06:27 PM.
Old 12-29-22, 01:53 PM
J123rx350
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have to make a comment regarding how the outside temperature appears to help improve the vibration and droning. Today the temperature went up to 50 and the vibration came back. I know it's my imagination but it seems worse. Drivers me crazy...

I was really hoping that the corporate customer service interaction occurring with alan2955 was going to help with the droning etc...wishful thinking...

Happy New Year to all...hope everyone has a safe and healthy 2023...
Old 12-29-22, 02:35 PM
alan2955
Driver

Originally Posted by J123rx350
I have to make a comment regarding how the outside temperature appears to help improve the vibration and droning. Today the temperature went up to 50 and the vibration came back. I know it's my imagination but it seems worse. Drivers me crazy...

I was really hoping that the corporate customer service interaction occurring with alan2955 was going to help with the droning etc...wishful thinking...

Happy New Year to all...hope everyone has a safe and healthy 2023...
Sadly, Lexus corporate does not give a damn. They have my $60,000, and they’re done with me. I’ve noticed it’s highly dependent on temperature too. Mine is actually pretty normal until I drive a mile and the exhaust system heats up. Obviously something is getting in a bind after the system gets warm, but nobody at Lexus wants to be bothered to figure out exactly what’s going on. I’ve seen videos where exhaust systems grow a 10th of an inch after only three minutes of idling I’ve tried the Toyota exhaust damper weights in various locations with little to no improvement. I’m going to Florida in a couple weeks, and I think I’m going to search out a custom exhaust system company, and see if they could diagnose what exactly is happening to this thing when it warms up. If I pay them to solve the problem, I’m going to send the bill to Lexus. Good luck collecting, but I’m gonna make my point with them. The lack of refinement on this car is just shameful.
The following 2 users liked this post by alan2955:
gadgetman1 (12-29-22), J123rx350 (12-29-22)
Old 12-29-22, 03:11 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by alan2955
Sadly, Lexus corporate does not give a damn. They have my $60,000, and they’re done with me. I’ve noticed it’s highly dependent on temperature too. Mine is actually pretty normal until I drive a mile and the exhaust system heats up. Obviously something is getting in a bind after the system gets warm, but nobody at Lexus wants to be bothered to figure out exactly what’s going on. I’ve seen videos where exhaust systems grow a 10th of an inch after only three minutes of idling I’ve tried the Toyota exhaust damper weights in various locations with little to no improvement. I’m going to Florida in a couple weeks, and I think I’m going to search out a custom exhaust system company, and see if they could diagnose what exactly is happening to this thing when it warms up. If I pay them to solve the problem, I’m going to send the bill to Lexus. Good luck collecting, but I’m gonna make my point with them. The lack of refinement on this car is just shameful.
I think that’s a great idea to have a customized exhaust expert look at it. I’m sure it won’t be cheap, but it will be worth it to not keep fussing over it. Good luck!
The following 2 users liked this post by gadgetman1:
alan2955 (12-30-22), ravenuer (12-30-22)
Old 01-16-23, 03:16 PM
OReliable
Rookie

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

So I just recorded the Flex Spring joint and I’m now curious if this is the culprit for the droning/vibration.

Need to move the exhaust clamp a little further away as I believe it’s touching that outer lip on the joint.

Old 01-16-23, 05:04 PM
alan2955
Driver

Originally Posted by OReliable
So I just recorded the Flex Spring joint and I’m now curious if this is the culprit for the droning/vibration.

Need to move the exhaust clamp a little further away as I believe it’s touching that outer lip on the joint.

https://youtube.com/shorts/2WNKiWtR1Dw?feature=share
That’s my number one suspicion. Especially given that mine is fine when the pipe is cold. After the exhaust warms, the droning begins. I took the weights off mine as they weren’t doing much of anything, and I can’t have them there when I complain to a different dealer. I just drove it 1200 miles to Florida. Now the droning seems more variable. Occasionally it gets better than previously, sometimes actually nice. So weird. 5000 mile service soon at a Lexus dealer in Lauderdale. Will see what they say. Also drove my aunts 2021 down here. She and her husband said ‘it’s smooth as butter’. Guess what, it’s not!! Quite noticeable noise and vibrations. In fact on a good day mine is better than theirs! But mine is much worse than theirs at times. Never owned a vehicle with these issues. Sad because overall it’s a nice package. Maybe we will get a solution eventually! Keep us posted.

Last edited by alan2955; 01-16-23 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-16-23, 08:02 PM
alan2955
Driver

https://youtube.com/shorts/2WNKiWtR1Dw?feature=share
so, after watching your video, are we seeing the joint is opening up at certain RPMs? If so, that certainly could start a vibration situation. I wonder if monkeying with the tightness of those springs would make any difference?
Old 01-16-23, 08:24 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts

so, after watching your video, are we seeing the joint is opening up at certain RPMs? If so, that certainly could start a vibration situation. I wonder if monkeying with the tightness of those springs would make any difference?
I also got a 2022 RX350 F Sport AWD. I am getting vibration slightly from steering wheel and also the brake pedal. This happens only when the vehicle is in drive and not in park.

Not sure if it is related to the AWD system or not. I am really disappointed with Lexus quality on a $60k+ vehicle.

Also everytime the vehicle goes in Drive or Reverse, I feel a slight jerk. It is something about either the draintrain - drive shaft, transfer case or engine engages, it will never been smooth.

Taking it to the dealer is time consuming.

Am I the only minority?
The following users liked this post:
OReliable (01-17-23)
Old 01-16-23, 09:02 PM
bamalam
Advanced

Received 409 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Also everytime the vehicle goes in Drive or Reverse, I feel a slight jerk. It is something about either the draintrain - drive shaft, transfer case or engine engages, it will never been smooth.
Disable the electronic parking brake and see if this behavior changes. The consensus on this topic several months ago was that the 'jerk' or 'squat' after putting the car in gear is the electronic parking brake releasing.
Old 01-17-23, 12:58 AM
OReliable
Rookie

Originally Posted by pkumar1981
YouTube video of droning vibration noise 2017 rx 350 on cold start low RPM

this is the noise I am experiencing on cold starts even after warming engine up 10 minutes, the noise occurs on low rpm acceleration and then eventually goes away after few minutes of driving.

focus on 33-36 seconds and 54-56 seconds into the video ...
https://youtu.be/vpzkPLnv544
dealership stated Lexus is aware of the issue but no remedy and also noted on the service call that this is common characteristic of the new RX body style .... once lexus comes up with a fix, it will be fixed under warranty.
Reading up on some old posts. My car basically had the same sound the night I drove it back from the dealership (2022 RX350 Appearance F-sport AWD).
Old 01-17-23, 02:56 AM
OReliable
Rookie

The video was recorded in my driveway with the car in drive and my foot on the brake. I revved it to 1500rpm to see what exactly what is happening underneath. From what I understand, the flex spring joint is also called an exhaust flange or a spherical joint, which is supposed to allow some degree of movement. Maybe the exhaust pipe is touching a heat shield as it’s loading up with exhaust gas? I will double check tomorrow to see if there is an exhaust leak with some soapy water. I will also be reaching out to a lemon law lawyer to see what I can do with my vehicle as it’s simply not the driving experience I was expecting. I’ve sort of had enough of the droning and vibrations in the steering wheel, seats, and cabin.

I am also wondering if the exhaust manifold has anything to do with it. I read the 2016 Highlander had a droning issue albeit at 1750-2000rpm and they resolved the issue by replacing the exhaust manifold part with a newly updated one.
Old 01-17-23, 02:59 AM
OReliable
Rookie

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
I also got a 2022 RX350 F Sport AWD. I am getting vibration slightly from steering wheel and also the brake pedal. This happens only when the vehicle is in drive and not in park.

Not sure if it is related to the AWD system or not. I am really disappointed with Lexus quality on a $60k+ vehicle.

Taking it to the dealer is time consuming.

Am I the only minority?
I do have a slight jerk switching from park to reverse and reverse to park but it felt about the same in my Sienna.
The following users liked this post:
GS4_Fiend (01-17-23)
Old 01-17-23, 03:20 AM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 155 Likes on 124 Posts

The vibration comes from where the exhaust is bolted to the engine underneath. The vibration is transmitted to the car through the exhaust mounts.
Simply needs a damper on the exhaust to tone down the vibrations. The 3rd Gen had a damper and was removed from the 4th Gen.
Old 01-17-23, 09:16 AM
alan2955
Driver

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
The vibration comes from where the exhaust is bolted to the engine underneath. The vibration is transmitted to the car through the exhaust mounts.
Simply needs a damper on the exhaust to tone down the vibrations. The 3rd Gen had a damper and was removed from the 4th Gen.
Why does the vibration/drone vary so much from
car to car, cold to hot exhaust temp, and even trip to trip? Crazy variations here. Something is moving around too much. But from my experience, NONE are close to world class. Some vibrations and droning seem unavoidable on these.
Old 01-17-23, 09:17 AM
alan2955
Driver

I do have a slight jerk switching from park to reverse and reverse to park but it felt about the same in my Sienna.
I get some jerk too. Not ideal, but way less aggravating than the drone.

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration