RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-23, 09:20 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

I watched this video twice & I can’t tell that anything was opening up. Obviously, the engine torques & moves the exhaust, but I couldn’t see obvious opening at the spring joint. That’s just my observation.
Old 01-17-23, 09:23 AM
J123rx350
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I totally agree with your comment that it is not consistent. Every once in a while it runs very well but most often I feel the vibration. I really wish Lexus would provide a resolution, even if I need to pay to have it fixed...I won't hold my breath on that...haha
Old 01-17-23, 09:43 AM
OReliable
Rookie

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
I watched this video twice & I can’t tell that anything was opening up. Obviously, the engine torques & moves the exhaust, but I couldn’t see obvious opening at the spring joint. That’s just my observation.
Look at the black dot on the gasket material. You’ll see more of the white gasket as I rev it.
Old 01-17-23, 12:13 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by bamalam
Disable the electronic parking brake and see if this behavior changes. The consensus on this topic several months ago was that the 'jerk' or 'squat' after putting the car in gear is the electronic parking brake releasing.
The EPB has nothing to do with it. On or off it is the same. The vibration at idle happens everytime I am at the red light.

As for the jerk, it still does it without enabling the auto EPB.
Old 01-17-23, 12:18 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by alan2955
That’s my number one suspicion. Especially given that mine is fine when the pipe is cold. After the exhaust warms, the droning begins. I took the weights off mine as they weren’t doing much of anything, and I can’t have them there when I complain to a different dealer. I just drove it 1200 miles to Florida. Now the droning seems more variable. Occasionally it gets better than previously, sometimes actually nice. So weird. 5000 mile service soon at a Lexus dealer in Lauderdale. Will see what they say. Also drove my aunts 2021 down here. She and her husband said ‘it’s smooth as butter’. Guess what, it’s not!! Quite noticeable noise and vibrations. In fact on a good day mine is better than theirs! But mine is much worse than theirs at times. Never owned a vehicle with these issues. Sad because overall it’s a nice package. Maybe we will get a solution eventually! Keep us posted.
I totally understand where you are coming from. Buying a $60k vehicle, you should have high expectations. You are not alone and this is known.

Do you have a slight vibration problem during idle in Drive? It would be felt at the steering wheel and at the brake pedal.
Old 01-17-23, 12:21 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by OReliable
The video was recorded in my driveway with the car in drive and my foot on the brake. I revved it to 1500rpm to see what exactly what is happening underneath. From what I understand, the flex spring joint is also called an exhaust flange or a spherical joint, which is supposed to allow some degree of movement. Maybe the exhaust pipe is touching a heat shield as it’s loading up with exhaust gas? I will double check tomorrow to see if there is an exhaust leak with some soapy water. I will also be reaching out to a lemon law lawyer to see what I can do with my vehicle as it’s simply not the driving experience I was expecting. I’ve sort of had enough of the droning and vibrations in the steering wheel, seats, and cabin.

I am also wondering if the exhaust manifold has anything to do with it. I read the 2016 Highlander had a droning issue albeit at 1750-2000rpm and they resolved the issue by replacing the exhaust manifold part with a newly updated one.
I wonder on the Highlanders they are having vibration problems at idle like I am?

I recall renting one on vacation it was quite smooth.
Old 01-17-23, 01:09 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 157 Likes on 126 Posts

Why does the vibration/drone vary so much from
car to car, cold to hot exhaust temp, and even trip to trip? Crazy variations here. Something is moving around too much. But from my experience, NONE are close to world class. Some vibrations and droning seem unavoidable on these.
Temperature will change the characteristics of the materials, rubber mounts, metal. Maybe Lexus changed materials through the production years.
Here in Australia we get Japanese only produced cars and the vibration really wasn't noticed by me until until I read about it on here. As someone on here recently said a relative of theirs found no problem with their own car but when the poster drove the car noticed the vibrations. People are different, what one person thinks is vibration another may not even notice. When someone says the vibration is bad, really bad, another may think it's only slight. People's perceptions can be very different.
Old 01-17-23, 01:12 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

So I just recorded the Flex Spring joint and I’m now curious if this is the culprit for the droning/vibration.

Need to move the exhaust clamp a little further away as I believe it’s touching that outer lip on the joint.
Here in Australia our later RX's have the damper mounted in this position:

The following users liked this post:
J123rx350 (02-04-23)
Old 02-15-23, 01:22 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 777rx400h
You are not being critical. Vibration in Steering wheel and accelerator/brake pedal for me along with exhaust drone. You can sift through the forum to see how others feel about it and attempts to mitigate it. Some successful, some not. Dealership will always say normal. Doesn't bother most people or they just accept it. Like you, I find it extremely annoying (especially in town driving) as my 3 previous Lexus vehicles were smooth as silk.
I have actually took the time to read all of the posts on here for a remedy. Yes, it took weeks.

At first, I thought the vibration is from the drivetrain AWD system (drive shaft and such). So, I am not crazy.

The vibration I feel is at idle in gear at a stop sign. It can be felt from the steering wheel, the gas pedal and brake pedal.

I do not have the drone like others on here. Only the vibration at low speeds.

The vibration is actually from the engine lugging (think stick shift in 4th gear at 15 mph). So I had opted for 93 octane and it does help mitigate it but not fully. I guess I would have to live with it. I am not sure if adding dampers is really ideal since you have already done it without success.

To the fix would actually be the software. Because if you carefully think about it, if the engine is lugging, it will affect the entire drive train. They will need to reprogram it in a way to stay at a lower gear longer, instead of shifting it earlier (due to EPA Fuel Economy).

So if you are using 87 octane, it maybe more prominent to vibration.

I have already turned off "body control with torque demand" (using techstream), it helps the RPM stay higher at lower speeds to help lower the vibrations.

In conclusion, the 2GR-FKS is an inherent flaw design in conjunction with the infamous 8 AT.

BTW, the 2GR-FKS compression ratio is 11.8:1, while the 2GR-FE is 10.8:1. Both able to be used with 87 octane.

Last edited by GS4_Fiend; 02-15-23 at 01:38 PM.
Old 02-15-23, 01:42 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
I have actually took the time to read all of the posts on here for a remedy. Yes, it took weeks.

At first I thought the vibration is from the drivetrain AWD system (drive shaft and such). So, I am not crazy.

The vibration I feel is at idle in gear at a stop sign. It can be felt from the steering wheel, the gas pedal and brake pedal.

The vibration is actually from the engine lugging (think stick shift 4th gear at 15 mph). So I had opted for 93 octane and it does help mitigate it but not fully. I guess I would have to live with it. I am not sure if adding dampers is really ideal since you have already done it without success.

To the fix would actually be the software. Because if you carefully think about it, if the engine is lugging, it will affect the entire drive train. They will need to reprogram it in a way to stay at a lower gear longer, instead of shifting it earlier (due to EPA Fuel Economy).

I have already turned off "body control with torque demand" (using techstream), it helps the RPM stay higher at lower speeds to help lower the vibrations.

In conclusion, the 2GR-FKS is an inherent flaw design in conjunction with the infamous 8 AT.
The vibration comes from the engine vibrating and yes it's more prominent when the engine is labouring. Using Sports mode will lessen it as it holds the gears longer, not changing up gears which in turn makes the engine labour. There is a TSB for these up-changes, changes Normal mode to be closer to Sports mode. The exhaust is bolted to the engine, that is where the vibration starts and transfers to the car body through the mounts.
3rd Gen vehicles had a damper on the exhaust, it disappeared on the 4th Gen. Later through the 4th Gen's life they started installing a damper again.

A damper does help, if you are inclined try it, try moving it around to different locations on the exhaust to see which position works best, maybe use two.
Old 02-15-23, 01:56 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 578 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend

At first, I thought the vibration is from the drivetrain AWD system (drive shaft and such). So, I am not crazy.

The vibration is actually from the engine lugging (think stick shift in 4th gear at 15 mph). So I had opted for 93 octane and it does help mitigate it but not fully. I guess I would have to live with it. I am not sure if adding dampers is really ideal since you have already done it without success.

BTW, the 2GR-FKS compression ratio is 11.8:1, while the 2GR-FE is 10.8:1. Both able to be used with 87 octane.
I find that the idle vibration is reduced if I use the hold function at stops. It actually controls the engine RPM better with hold engaged.
Old 02-15-23, 01:56 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

I bought a new nebula gray F sport with red interior two weeks ago. Nice car overall, but I’m not very pleased with the engine drone and vibrations around 1500 RPM that you feel in the steering wheel and pedals. Unfortunately that’s the RPM the car runs at around 60 mph. I know Toyota has had fits with exhaust drone on the Highlander and RX for numerous years, and apparently they haven’t totally solved it yet. I traded in a 2021 Highlander platinum and there wasn’t near as much engine vibration as this thing has. there’s also an annoying popping noise and feeling in the seat back when you accelerate or turn etc. i’m less concerned about them being able to fix that that I am the engine vibrations. The car definitely rides better and is overall quieter than the Highlander. I had a 2017 Highlander though with the dreaded exhaust drone and they never did fix it properly, and I fear I’m stuck with a similar situation yet again. One would think that Toyota would have this sorted out by now.
Funny thing is I did rent a 2021 Highlander AWD before I bought the RX350 and that thing was awesome. Wasn't aware of any vibration or drone until I bought the RX.
Old 02-15-23, 01:59 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
The vibration comes from the engine vibrating and yes it's more prominent when the engine is labouring. Using Sports mode will lessen it as it holds the gears longer, not changing up gears which in turn makes the engine labour. There is a TSB for these up-changes, changes Normal mode to be closer to Sports mode. The exhaust is bolted to the engine, that is where the vibration starts and transfers to the car body through the mounts.
3rd Gen vehicles had a damper on the exhaust, it disappeared on the 4th Gen. Later through the 4th Gen's life they started installing a damper again.

A damper does help, if you are inclined try it, try moving it around to different locations on the exhaust to see which position works best, maybe use two.
There is no TSB for the 2020-2022 that I am aware of. Care to share?

You are correct. The engine mounts have been changed to the subframe which is why we feel the vibration in gear at idle. Although it helps the engine to be more ridgid on turns, but the side effect is vibration.

I was planning to add the dampers, but I am still undecided.
Old 02-15-23, 02:09 PM
J123rx350
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

As GSFRX350 mentioned later in gen 4 they started installing a damper again ? Mine is a 2021 and it does not appear to have any dampener installed ? Like GS4_Fiend it's a flaw in the design. It is just disappointing that Lexus produces a car with this flaw. I was on the fence buying a new car between the rx350 and the Acura MDX. Next time I will be more careful.
Damn I wish I bought the mdx...
i real appreciate all of the comments each individual posts. You are a bunch of really nice people...thank, John
Old 02-15-23, 04:03 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Just got off the phone with the service advisor and wanted to post as soon as possible.

Basically he said they can't do anything officially until Lexus themselves releases a TSB for the 2022 model. He told me the foreman knew exactly what I was hearing based off the notes I gave him, (26-30mph and 56-60mph @1500rpm). They test drove it anyway to confirm it, which they did. They're saying its because of the gearing and the engine anticipating to be at the next gear...

At the end, I asked him "Maybe I should put the damper weight on it myself? 🤔" and he said jokingly, "I didn't hear anything".
Back under the car I go to re-add the damper.

They did order and fix a loose engine clamp that was making some rattle noise at 5-6k rpm which I noticed while driving to the dealership yesterday.

If you have a later year RX350 not covered under the TSB, please write to corporate Lexus so that the issue can be documented and hopefully release a TSB for us.
Can you point out what engine clamp is this?

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration