RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-23 | 04:05 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by J123rx350
As GSFRX350 mentioned later in gen 4 they started installing a damper again ? Mine is a 2021 and it does not appear to have any dampener installed ? Like GS4_Fiend it's a flaw in the design. It is just disappointing that Lexus produces a car with this flaw. I was on the fence buying a new car between the rx350 and the Acura MDX. Next time I will be more careful.
Damn I wish I bought the mdx...
i real appreciate all of the comments each individual posts. You are a bunch of really nice people...thank, John
I must say, the 10 AT is much better than the infamous 8 AT from Toyota.
Old 02-15-23 | 07:04 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

As GSFRX350 mentioned later in gen 4 they started installing a damper again ? Mine is a 2021 and it does not appear to have any dampener installed ? Like GS4_Fiend it's a flaw in the design. It is just disappointing that Lexus produces a car with this flaw. I was on the fence buying a new car between the rx350 and the Acura MDX. Next time I will be more careful.
i real appreciate all of the comments each individual posts. You are a bunch of really nice people...thank, John
It's a flawed design, yes, BUT it's made worse with the manufacturing in Canada. I'm in Australia, our RX's do have a vibration but it is subtle, in fact I never really noticed it until I read this thread years ago. I started thinking about it and there is a vibration there but only at some RPMs. From what I've read the Canadian built vehicles go from "nothing to feel" to "the seat, steering wheel, centre console, foot rest all shaking". Maybe it's to do with the metal used, maybe it's assembly, who knows but I've research this a lot in Australia in we just don't have the same issue to the same extent here. All our vehicles are Japanese built. Having said that it should not happen obviously, the NVH engineers fell asleep on this RX.
The following users liked this post:
J123rx350 (02-17-23)
Old 02-15-23 | 07:07 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
There is no TSB for the 2020-2022 that I am aware of. Care to share?

You are correct. The engine mounts have been changed to the subframe which is why we feel the vibration in gear at idle. Although it helps the engine to be more ridgid on turns, but the side effect is vibration.

I was planning to add the dampers, but I am still undecided.
Sorry, I don't know if one exists for the later models, but I understand from reading on here that the later models have the same driving characteristics. A dealer can tell you if there's any TSB's available for your particular model.
Old 02-16-23 | 04:06 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by OReliable
Here’s a little update for those following along.

Finally managed to get the car looked at again 25 days later after starting the case with corporate Lexus.
Case manager and service manager helped schedule a drive with the shop foreman. I explained to him the droning and the vibrations I was feeling in the car. I also showed him how the car begins to vibrate while revving the car in drive. With the shop foreman driving, we went on a 10minute drive around the dealership listening for the droning sounds. He acknowledged that there is a drone, but also added that it is a “characteristic” of the car. He said that they would do a health check, look at the car and scan the car for any issues. I knew the moment he said that, that the droning was not going to get fixed. When we got back to the dealership, I asked if I could test drive another 2022 Rx350 fsport. Luckily (or unluckily, you’ll understand in a minute) they happened to have one sitting in the front with 35 miles of the odometer. The moment I start driving the car, I could already tell that the droning was present. We take the same route along the highway and believe it or not, this car’s droning was worse than mine! It had droning at 20mph, 40mph, and 60mph @ 1500 rpm!

I’m not sure where they are getting their exhaust parts or who’s installing them, but maybe they need to have someone QC these things before it leaves the factory.

So I leave the car at the dealership for them to do their health check and they give me a ‘22 RX350 loaner for the rest of the day. The loaner has a little bit of droning, but not enough for me to complain about. I would say that it’s about a 70% reduction in the droning vibration as I barely felt it in the wheel or the cabin. I would it’s like a 3/10 if I had to rate it.

I get a call about 2 hours later from the service advisor that my car is ready for pickup and that there wasn’t anything wrong with the car when they scanned for errors and looked underneath the car. They checked for loose hangers and the exhaust pipe but everything was tight according to them. I asked the service advisor how I should proceed with this case since I’m still not satisfied with how the car is driving. I also asked if it’s possible to get a car that doesn’t drone or something like that. He told me that I should speak with the salesperson and see what they can do since that falls under the sales department. Luckily, one of the reps I spoke to at the dealership when I bought my car was still at his desk. I explained to him the whole story and how I had to open a case with corporate about it. I told him how I wasn’t satisfied with the way the car is driving and that it wasn’t how I had imagined the car to be at all. He said he would talk to the service manager and the higher ups tomorrow morning to see what they can do. I thanked him for his time and drove back home in misery as the car droned the entire way back. Just to put into perspective on how bad my droning is, imagine you’re driving on some very fine rumble strips every time you get accelerate for an entire hour. I feel sick to my stomach (almost a pre-puke sensation) as I drive this car. I scheduled another appointment at a different Lexus dealership for this Saturday to see if a different set of eyes and ears can fix this (perhaps a version of Hoovie’s car wizard).

I almost at a breaking point where I’m looking at lemon laws to see if they can salvage this situation.
A health check is literally scanning the entire modules for codes, that is it.

The main concern is the exhaust drone as one had pointed out the exhaust springs.

Unfortunately, it has been plagued with this drone and consider as it's natural characteristics.

Same scenario when the first time the 8 AT came out, and it was hunting gears and what not. After many software updates and it still hunts and surge. Corporate just gives you a flat out "it's the characteristics of the vehicle, working as designed."
J123rx350 (02-16-23)
Old 02-28-23 | 04:40 AM
alan2955
Driver

my 2022 did not have a damper from the factory either. But Lexus changed out to one with a damper. Little to no improvement. I also added a couple dampers myself with absolutely no improvement. I’ve had the car in Florida the last couple of months and had it’s 5000 mile service at JM Lexus near Fort Lauderdale. They are quite familiar with our complaint and the service writer’s comment was ‘it’s a darn shame’. Numerous complaints about it, and Lexus has no solution. Completely shameful for a $60,000 automobile. I’ve been tolerating this thing for six months but it’s still grates on my nerves. A friend was down here to visit with a 2022 Highlander, and the difference is just astounding how much smoother and more refined it sounds than my Lexus. Shame on Lexus!
The following 2 users liked this post by alan2955:
GS4_Fiend (02-28-23), J123rx350 (02-28-23)
Old 02-28-23 | 07:54 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by alan2955
my 2022 did not have a damper from the factory either. But Lexus changed out to one with a damper. Little to no improvement. I also added a couple dampers myself with absolutely no improvement. I’ve had the car in Florida the last couple of months and had it’s 5000 mile service at JM Lexus near Fort Lauderdale. They are quite familiar with our complaint and the service writer’s comment was ‘it’s a darn shame’. Numerous complaints about it, and Lexus has no solution. Completely shameful for a $60,000 automobile. I’ve been tolerating this thing for six months but it’s still grates on my nerves. A friend was down here to visit with a 2022 Highlander, and the difference is just astounding how much smoother and more refined it sounds than my Lexus. Shame on Lexus!
I also wonder why the Highlander does not have this problem. Same engine, same transmission.
alan2955 (03-01-23)
Old 02-28-23 | 01:03 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

I also wonder why the Highlander does not have this problem. Same engine, same transmission.
Where is the Highlander manufactured?
Old 02-28-23 | 02:03 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
Princeton, Indian, where the reliable Tundras (prior to 2007) used to be made.
alan2955 (03-01-23)
Old 02-28-23 | 10:49 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Does it matter?
alan2955 (03-01-23)
Old 03-01-23 | 06:56 AM
alan2955
Driver

they are made in Princeton Indiana.
GSFRX350 (03-01-23)
Old 03-01-23 | 06:58 AM
alan2955
Driver

I wonder the same thing. I’ve had three Highlander’s with the same powertrain, and not have had the vibrations and droning that I am enduring in my 2022 Lexus. My expectations are not ridiculous. I just expected the Lexus to be at least as good as a Toyota with the same engine.
J123rx350 (03-01-23)
Old 03-03-23 | 06:40 AM
J123rx350
Rookie

Not sure if anyone else has experienced the variation in the vibration ? I would guess approximately 25% of the time, maybe a little less the vibration is not present ? I look at the idle, outside temperature etc... I don't understand why I see this variation.
Does anyone observe this ?
Old 03-03-23 | 07:24 AM
alan2955
Driver

Not sure if anyone else has experienced the variation in the vibration ? I would guess approximately 25% of the time, maybe a little less the vibration is not present ? I look at the idle, outside temperature etc... I don't understand why I see this variation.
Does anyone observe this ?
yes, it definitely varies. Seems worse when the exhaust is thoroughly heated up. But even that varies from day to day in spite of the same outdoor temperature. I drove a new 2023 with a four-cylinder and found it to be much smoother and quieter, at least under 2500 RPM or so which is where you would be driving it most of the time. It was a bit noisy when wound out though. Overall, I find it more pleasant than my V6.
J123rx350 (03-04-23)
Old 05-22-23 | 08:09 PM
jmbj
1st Gear

Default Noise

I just purchased a 2017 RX350. Tne engine noise is much louder than my old 2014 RX. Also tne parking assist senors are sooo much less effective. Are these noticeable year differences or did I get a dud?
Old 05-23-23 | 07:05 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Originally Posted by jmbj
I just purchased a 2017 RX350. Tne engine noise is much louder than my old 2014 RX. Also tne parking assist senors are sooo much less effective. Are these noticeable year differences or did I get a dud?
See if there are any adjustments you can make. My 2017 was just about perfect.