RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-24 | 09:17 AM
Taki2828
10th Gear

Default 2017 How is your ride and loud engine noise at lower speeds?

Hi,

I’m curious with your 2017 FWD, is your ride smooth or even on slightly bumpy roads, the ride feels very bouncy. Is bouncy normal for this vehicle?

Mine is at 125K miles. I know the rear shocks were replaced. Front ones original.

When the RX is at idle and I slowly press the gas pedal, accerlerate between 5-15mph, engine seems very loud and can get to a resonant frequency where it vibrates the front inner cabin. Once gear shifts into high speed, it is ok.

It seems much worst in Eco Drive mode so I keep it in Normal Drive mode. If I floor it, sometimes it will hessiate to shift gears and slight stall.

All is good so far except for these two issues. Not sure if these are consider normal or not.

The repair shops don’t see or hear anything unusual.

Tires are Yokohama CTX.

Thanks

Last edited by Taki2828; 03-25-24 at 09:38 AM.
Old 03-26-24 | 07:45 AM
starcube
Rookie

I have a 2022 RX350 with 3000 miles on it. Here's why I think the exhaust vibration at 1500RPM and other RPMs has to do with the alignment and tension on that flexible exhaust joint.

My RX350 had zero vibration from the factory. Unfortunately, it had the infamous front engine cover oil leak at 2500 miles.

Took it in for warranty, they dropped the engine and fixed the oil leak. After I picked up, I immediately noticed vibration in the seat, console, pedals, and steering wheel at various RPMs.

It's very noticeable at 750RPM, 1150RPM, 1500RPM.1850RPM, and 2000RPM. Engine also sounds louder than before. So my guess is they disconnected and reconnected the exhaust and didn't align and/or tighten it correctly and now it vibrates when it didn't before.

Took it to the dealer and they drove it and said it's normal, so I got stonewalled. I'll attempt the damper fix, but I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited by starcube; 03-26-24 at 08:20 AM.
Old 03-26-24 | 07:59 AM
Taki2828
10th Gear

Originally Posted by starcube
I have a 2022 RX350 with 3000 miles on it. Here's why I think the vibration has to do with the alignment and tension on that flexible exhaust joint.

My RX350 had zero vibration from the factory. Unfortunately, it had the infamous front engine cover oil leak at 2500 miles.

Took it in for warranty, they dropped the engine and fixed the oil leak. After I picked up, I immediately noticed vibration in the seat, console, pedals, and steering wheel at various RPMs.

It's very noticeable at 750RPM, 1150RPM, 1500RPM.1850RPM, and 2000RPM. Engine also sounds louder than before. So my guess is they disconnected and reconnected the exhaust and didn't align and/or tighten it correctly and now it vibrates when it didn't before.

Took it to the dealer and they drove it and said it's normal, so I got stonewalled. I'll attempt the damper fix, but I'm not holding my breath.
Darn, that really sucks. Your RX is much too new for this noise crap.

I’m unclear, hope you can clarify. Installing the damper will reduce vibration/noise at the exhaust or also the engine compartment?

I paid for diagnose fee, they told me front and fronf right engine mounts are broken. I had it replaced. It improved slightly but I still get that noise at slow rpm

I’m not sure what droning noise sounds like. Mine does vibrate the dash when it hits the resonant frequency. I guess I’m trying to get use to it.

I don’t want to spend $2k with labor I guess to swap to the new exhaust. I don’t think repair shops will install the toyota dampener since it is not part of the original vehicle, liability issues? I asked 2 shops so far and they basically ignored me, saying nothing is wrong or the part is not available for my RX.

Old 03-26-24 | 08:14 AM
starcube
Rookie

Originally Posted by Taki2828
Darn, that really sucks. Your RX is much too new for this noise crap.

I’m unclear, hope you can clarify. Installing the damper will reduce vibration/noise at the exhaust or also the engine compartment?

I paid for diagnose fee, they told me front and fronf right engine mounts are broken. I had it replaced. It improved slightly but I still get that noise at slow rpm

I’m not sure what droning noise sounds like. Mine does vibrate the dash when it hits the resonant frequency. I guess I’m trying to get use to it.

I don’t want to spend $2k with labor I guess to swap to the new exhaust. I don’t think repair shops will install the toyota dampener since it is not part of the original vehicle, liability issues? I asked 2 shops so far and they basically ignored me, saying nothing is wrong or the part is not available for my RX.
Think of there being a subwoofer sitting directly under your car and playing a bass note at certain RPM loud enough that you feel it in your steering wheel, seat, gas pedal, and center console, but not enough to rattle your windows. And your ears feel that subtle "ear clogging" feeling like the cabin is resonating.

Except that subwoofer is your exhaust pipe. I have no idea what the damper will do. I might first ask the dealer to replace the flexible joint gasket and springs. Something tells me that that gasket is either damaged or misaligned, and/or the springs are incorrectly tensioned.
Old 03-26-24 | 08:22 AM
Taki2828
10th Gear

Think of there being a subwoofer sitting directly under your car and playing a bass note at certain RPM loud enough that you feel it in your steering wheel, seat, gas pedal, and center console, but not enough to rattle your windows. And your ears feel that subtle "ear clogging" feeling like the cabin is resonating.

Except that subwoofer is your exhaust pipe. I have no idea what the damper will do. I might first ask the dealer to replace the flexible joint gasket and springs. Something tells me that that gasket is either damaged or misaligned, and/or the springs are incorrectly tensioned.
Thanks for the great explanation. Check Post #1990.
This might fix your issue. I scrolled and found some youtube links, recording of the droning noise, I could not hear it myself.

The noise I get is from the Front Engine Compartment, not from the Bottom so I can rule out the exhaust droning I guess.

I will just have to get use to this. :-|
It sounds like one of those modded rice rockets where they like to hear their engines loud and rumbling. I wanted mine quiet. :-)

Old 03-26-24 | 08:24 AM
starcube
Rookie

Originally Posted by Taki2828
Thanks for the great explanation. Check Post #1990.
This might fix your issue. I scrolled and found some youtube links, recording of the droning noise, I could not hear it myself.

The noise I get is from the Front Engine Compartment, not from the Bottom so I can rule out the exhaust droning I guess.

I will just have to get use to this. :-|
It sounds like one of those modded rice rockets where they like to hear their engines loud and rumbling. I wanted mine quiet. :-)
Yeah, I wasn't replying to your problem, just the general exhaust drone problem that's been beaten to death here. I hope you find a solution!
Old 03-26-24 | 08:35 AM
Taki2828
10th Gear

Yeah, I wasn't replying to your problem, just the general exhaust drone problem that's been beaten to death here. I hope you find a solution!
Thanks and you as well.
Old 03-26-24 | 09:23 AM
flyboyo2
7th Gear

Read post #1990 on the engine drone problem. Do the work around exactly as published in the post. Be sure to get a 11/2 and a 13/4 clamp. It was about 70 bucks total for parts and I did the work myself. Since I"m 85 years old most anyone should be able to do it.
The following 2 users liked this post by flyboyo2:
autotech13 (03-27-24), ravenuer (03-26-24)
Old 03-26-24 | 10:15 AM
starcube
Rookie

Originally Posted by flyboyo2
Read post #1990 on the engine drone problem. Do the work around exactly as published in the post. Be sure to get a 11/2 and a 13/4 clamp. It was about 70 bucks total for parts and I did the work myself. Since I"m 85 years old most anyone should be able to do it.
Were you able to get under the car without having to lift it?
Old 03-26-24 | 02:28 PM
J123rx350
Rookie

Very sorry to hear that your NEW car is not what it should be...I have a 2021 and as was mentioned in many posts I learned to live with the vibration. Not happy about it but the dealer says it's normal...bull s..t

I hope you are able to find a resolution and maybe the dealer will help ? Maybe ask again to have them look into it ?

Good luck...
Old 03-26-24 | 02:58 PM
flyboyo2
7th Gear

No lift needed. I went under the passenger side, on my back, directly behind the right front tire. Only needed my head and shoulders under the car. Piece of cake.
The following users liked this post:
ravenuer (03-26-24)
Old 03-27-24 | 04:26 AM
starcube
Rookie

Originally Posted by flyboyo2
No lift needed. I went under the passenger side, on my back, directly behind the right front tire. Only needed my head and shoulders under the car. Piece of cake.
This is great news. I have the damper already and have the clamps coming today, I'll install them and report my findings.
Old 03-27-24 | 06:09 AM
J123rx350
Rookie

Starcube...please let us know how you make out and if it resolves your vibration issue...I hope it's an easy install and all works out...
The following users liked this post:
ravenuer (03-27-24)
Old 03-29-24 | 12:02 PM
autotech13
Advanced

Hi guys, I just did the exhaust pipe damper project that condoe11 had explained on post #1990. I'm very happy with the results, that discussing drone noise is GONE! It's a Lexus again! I'm so happy do drive my 2018 RX without being embarrassed about that drone! Once again, thank you to everyone!
Old 03-29-24 | 12:07 PM
starcube
Rookie

Originally Posted by autotech13
Hi guys, I just did the exhaust pipe damper project that condoe11 had explained on post #1990. I'm very happy with the results, that discussing drone noise is GONE! It's a Lexus again! I'm so happy do drive my 2018 RX without being embarrassed about that drone! Once again, thank you to everyone!
Great news! Where on the exhaust pipe exactly did you install the damper? How many dampers did you install?

Last edited by starcube; 03-29-24 at 12:15 PM.