RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-16, 10:57 PM
jnghiem005
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SOME GOOD NEWS! I have a good friend that's a master mechanic at a Lexus dealership. I started *****ing about he the problems i have with my 16' RX350 concerning the Transmission lag problem and also the vibration droning issue. He said lexus is aware of the issues and it will be fixed. Lexus plans to tackle the transmission issue first (really soon i'm told) and then address the vibration problem later on. There won't be recalls or notices to customers, but the problems will be fixed when cars are brought in for their services.
Old 11-23-16, 11:39 PM
s2000zr
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Can you ask him, are there some rx350 that don't vibrate? If so, how can I look for a non vibration rx350 when shopping.

I rather see Lexus address the vibration first than the transmission. I have drove a couple of rx350. I can live with the 8speed but can not handle the vibration.
Old 11-24-16, 05:07 AM
cec327
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000zr
Can you ask him, are there some rx350 that don't vibrate? If so, how can I look for a non vibration rx350 when shopping.

I rather see Lexus address the vibration first than the transmission. I have drove a couple of rx350. I can live with the 8speed but can not handle the vibration.
I have read about the vibration problem for a while. I have a 2016 rx350 and I not sure what type of vibration is being referred to. Would it be a vibration that you would recognize immediately or something more subtle? At times, I think that I feel a slight vibration in the gas pedal and other times -no. I drove a new rx350 and it had the same characteristic. My wife drove the car yesterday and did not feel anything. Bottom line-- is it a vibration that one would recognize immediately or something more subtle?
Old 11-24-16, 06:17 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

I think the vibration is mostly subtle, to me it just takes way from the refinement of this vehicle. Not what I expected from a Lexus.
In addition taking off from a stop always gives me a slight drone to the exhaust. Again not what you would expect from a Lexus.
I have owned so many new vehicles over the years. This one has to annoy me more then any of the others.
Old 11-24-16, 06:40 AM
cec327
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by tdjacw
I think the vibration is mostly subtle, to me it just takes way from the refinement of this vehicle. Not what I expected from a Lexus.
In addition taking off from a stop always gives me a slight drone to the exhaust. Again not what you would expect from a Lexus.
I have owned so many new vehicles over the years. This one has to annoy me more then any of the others.
Seems to me if it is an issue that needs to be corrected the it would have to be like a wheel shaking like out of balance r misalignment. I'm not sure if the slight vibration that I think I feel is real or imagine. My wife drove the car an she did not feel anything. I drove one at the dealership and had the same characteristic. Perhaps I should avoid reading the posts about vibration -- that might help.
Old 11-24-16, 07:09 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jnghiem005
SOME GOOD NEWS! I have a good friend that's a master mechanic at a Lexus dealership. I started *****ing about he the problems i have with my 16' RX350 concerning the Transmission lag problem and also the vibration droning issue. He said lexus is aware of the issues and it will be fixed. Lexus plans to tackle the transmission issue first (really soon i'm told) and then address the vibration problem later on. There won't be recalls or notices to customers, but the problems will be fixed when cars are brought in for their services.
Awesome, can you please update when you have any addition info on when the fix is actually available.

Thanks
Old 11-24-16, 08:19 AM
s2000zr
Driver

Originally Posted by cec327
Seems to me if it is an issue that needs to be corrected the it would have to be like a wheel shaking like out of balance r misalignment. I'm not sure if the slight vibration that I think I feel is real or imagine. My wife drove the car an she did not feel anything. I drove one at the dealership and had the same characteristic. Perhaps I should avoid reading the posts about vibration -- that might help.
The vibration only happen when you are going steady speed with the engine at 1400rpm. It feel like if your driving a manual transmission in 5th or 6gear but only going 20mph.

But I did drive a 2016 rx350 that did not vibrate at all. I couldn't believe they exsit. I try to look for clues as to why it was smooth like looking at the exhaust system. But it look just like the other six rx350 that I drove.
Old 11-24-16, 10:44 AM
cec327
Pit Crew

The vibration only happen when you are going steady speed with the engine at 1400rpm. It feel like if your driving a manual transmission in 5th or 6gear but only going 20mph.

But I did drive a 2016 rx350 that did not vibrate at all. I couldn't believe they exsit. I try to look for clues as to why it was smooth like looking at the exhaust system. But it look just like the other six rx350 that I drove.
Thanks for the info. I just drove my car at varying rpm's and did not have any vibration. It was difficult to maintain a steady rpm at lower speeds because the transmission would engage and change the rpms and speed. However, I did not detect any vibration, hear any excessive noise and the transmission appeared to operate as expected. I need to stop obsessing with this vehicle. It' as quiet and tight a vehicle as I have ever owned.
Old 11-24-16, 11:09 AM
s2000zr
Driver

Thanks for the info. I just drove my car at varying rpm's and did not have any vibration. It was difficult to maintain a steady rpm at lower speeds because the transmission would engage and change the rpms and speed. However, I did not detect any vibration, hear any excessive noise and the transmission appeared to operate as expected. I need to stop obsessing with this vehicle. It' as quiet and tight a vehicle as I have ever owned.
You are a lucky to have one that don't vibrate. I would stop looking if you don't notice anything. It would drive you nuts
Old 11-24-16, 07:19 PM
cec327
Pit Crew

You are a lucky to have one that don't vibrate. I would stop looking if you don't notice anything. It would drive you nuts
You are right.
Old 11-26-16, 04:40 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

What I find interesting is while in park reving the motor up slowly it vibrates at around 1200 to 1400 rpm's.
It seems like the motor is not balanced correctly internally. I had an old mustang which did the same thing and
that turned out to be the harmonic balancer in the motor. As another member said I can live with the 8 speed but
the vibration, once your aware of it can really drive you nuts. I really hope that there is a fix an Lexus insnt just
blowing us off.
Old 11-26-16, 04:53 AM
cec327
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by tdjacw
What I find interesting is while in park reving the motor up slowly it vibrates at around 1200 to 1400 rpm's.
It seems like the motor is not balanced correctly internally. I had an old mustang which did the same thing and
that turned out to be the harmonic balancer in the motor. As another member said I can live with the 8 speed but
the vibration, once your aware of it can really drive you nuts. I really hope that there is a fix an Lexus insnt just
blowing us off.
After I made my comment that I did not feel a vibration at 1400rpms I drove the car yesterday , on a highway, and maintained 1400rpms. There is a slight vibration in the steering wheel. Feels like the front tires are out of balance-- but if the rpms are raised or lowered then the vibration goes away. It is subtle but it can be felt. I engaged the speed control when I felt the very slight vibration and each time it was about 1400 rpms. It is disappointing since I really like this vehicle. I intend to bring this up t the dealership when I take the car in for the 5000 mile service. If one pays for quality then you should get it.
Old 11-26-16, 06:42 AM
s2000zr
Driver

After I made my comment that I did not feel a vibration at 1400rpms I drove the car yesterday , on a highway, and maintained 1400rpms. There is a slight vibration in the steering wheel. Feels like the front tires are out of balance-- but if the rpms are raised or lowered then the vibration goes away. It is subtle but it can be felt. I engaged the speed control when I felt the very slight vibration and each time it was about 1400 rpms. It is disappointing since I really like this vehicle. I intend to bring this up t the dealership when I take the car in for the 5000 mile service. If one pays for quality then you should get it.
At first I didn't want to point out how to find the vibration b/c you didn't notice any on your new car. But yes, maintaining 1400 rpm on highway is the best way to find this vibration. Like you said it's hard to notice the vibration in the city as the rpm is not at 1400 for long. It suck to Drop $57k to have this vibration. I could have save $20k if I bought the highlander and it drive more smooth without any vibration.

Some member complain about the vibration to Lexus. Lexus say it's normal to have vibration and it's the characteristics of the car. What a bunch of bull. I bet all my money (not much btw) that Lexus don't advertise these vibration characteristics anywhere.

I wish somebody would start a class action lawsuit against Lexus. It's been over a year and still no fix
Old 11-26-16, 08:50 AM
cec327
Pit Crew

At first I didn't want to point out how to find the vibration b/c you didn't notice any on your new car. But yes, maintaining 1400 rpm on highway is the best way to find this vibration. Like you said it's hard to notice the vibration in the city as the rpm is not at 1400 for long. It suck to Drop $57k to have this vibration. I could have save $20k if I bought the highlander and it drive more smooth without any vibration.

Some member complain about the vibration to Lexus. Lexus say it's normal to have vibration and it's the characteristics of the car. What a bunch of bull. I bet all my money (not much btw) that Lexus don't advertise these vibration characteristics anywhere.

I wish somebody would start a class action lawsuit against Lexus. It's been over a year and still no fix
I agree with you $57 K for a car-- perhaps not perfection but at least one without vibration or other problems. There is a slight vibration in the gas pedal that is intermittent. I've tried to overlook it through denial but it's there.
Old 11-26-16, 09:00 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Its ironic that I traded in a dodge Challenger muscle car mainly for the AWD and I figured this time
I would go for something with more refinement. Instead I got the opposite.
My daughters Toyota Camry 4cy, absolutely no vibrations. Lexus should have never approved this design
for production. I am so disappointed that I have to live with this. What a bad mark on the Lexus brand.
I dont know about the rest of you but I got the survey the other and really ripped this thing appart.

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration