RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-17, 04:05 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
Remember that the people on this forum is a small fraction of people who purchased the vehicle. People tend to voice their opinions when they don't like something. I have a 2016 RX 350 F Sport with zero vibration issues.

If I did, I wouldn't sit and pout. I'd try the solution one of the users tried. It's an easy fix. Sure, I would be upset I spent this much on a car, but at the end of the day you purchased the vehicle and unless you want to sell it for a loss, try the solution the other user did.
True but, why? It could also mean that some buyers have the noise, and are too complacent to address this issue with their dealer service writer.
Regardless, the thing with Lexus is that either you are blessed with an impeccable product and are a satisfied customer,stonewalled by the dealership and Lexus due to their "no wrong can ever leave their drawing board" attitude towards an issue, or an issue thats identifiable as a problem. This seems more of a stonewalled situation at the present, almost a year since it was first reported soo....
Old 01-09-17, 05:21 PM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

I would really like to know if there are ones out there that have no drone or vibration.
If there really are that means that the others either have a component that's out of spec
or the manufacture is using different components from other venders on the assembly line.
Has anyone with the issue driven another that had no drone or vibration?

I'll bet Lexus knows what the cause is and their are trying to find the cheapest solution !
Old 01-09-17, 06:42 PM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by tdjacw
I would really like to know if there are ones out there that have no drone or vibration.
If there really are that means that the others either have a component that's out of spec
or the manufacture is using different components from other venders on the assembly line.

I'll bet Lexus knows what the cause is and their are trying to find the cheapest solution !
I think they all are made the same. It depends on the person driving the car.
2004 My RX330 had it and I learned to ignore
My wife never new there was a drone.
The following users liked this post:
615tpc (01-10-17)
Old 01-10-17, 04:45 AM
PLamarine
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by david55838
I just installed the damper recommended by Walt on Page 19 of this thread, and there's definitely an improvement in mine.
Any additional insight or details you can provide? Did you install two? Where/how did you install?

I know Walt covered this but any additional info is welcomed.
Old 01-10-17, 04:49 AM
615tpc
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldfart
I think they all are made the same. It depends on the person driving the car.
2004 My RX330 had it and I learned to ignore
My wife never new there was a drone.
so true. A Lexus is considered to be like a Japanese Buick. There are similarities but my ES350 was never as quiet or handled as well as my buick. Lexus will show interior noise measurements but that doesn't tell the whole story.
Old 01-10-17, 06:43 AM
jester1
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess this is an advantage to me & my wife being hard of hearing.

......................What noise?? I don't hear no firkin' noise.
The following 2 users liked this post by jester1:
615tpc (01-10-17), Oldfart (01-10-17)
Old 01-10-17, 01:12 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 601 Likes on 420 Posts

I found a solution to this.....

I use the Mark Levinson system to fix the sound.

But on a serious note, it seems to be annoying a bit when I drive the RX until I drive my Venza. Then the noisy RX is SUPER quiet relatively.
Old 01-10-17, 02:49 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by jester1
I guess this is an advantage to me & my wife being hard of hearing.

......................What noise?? I don't hear no firkin' noise.
I wonder if you are like the people at quiet restaurants talking very loudly to each other.
Old 01-10-17, 04:19 PM
cec327
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=toyotaman7;9730278]According to Lexus there are not sufficient warranty claims to show that there is a problem.[/QUOTE
It's a Catch 22 --There isn't a problem so there is nothing for the warranty to cover, ergo no warranty problem exists. Like-- Major Major was only in when he was out, and he was out when he was in
Old 01-10-17, 09:48 PM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by tdjacw

I MAYBE heard/felt the drone once and it went away so quick to be an "issue."
Old 01-11-17, 04:59 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

[QUOTE=cec327;9733233]
Originally Posted by toyotaman7
According to Lexus there are not sufficient warranty claims to show that there is a problem.[/QUOTE
It's a Catch 22 --There isn't a problem so there is nothing for the warranty to cover, ergo no warranty problem exists. Like-- Major Major was only in when he was out, and he was out when he was in
If there is no problem why did the service Manager tell me Lexus is aware of the Drone/Vibration and is working on a fix.
He stated that when I bring it back for the next service hopefully there will be a solution.
Its interesting that I get very little Drone when the car is cold. After it warms up I get the Drone when letting of the accelerator
and than giving it the gas. If you press hard enough it will down shift and go. But that seems rediculous since this 8 speed is
all about gas mileage and the way I have to drive it is giving me worse gas milage. This car is such a disappointment from all
the other vehicles Ive owned. So furstrated that theres nothing I can do. This is the first car I leased, if I would have purchased it I would have traded it in already and taken the loss.
Old 01-11-17, 07:31 AM
jester1
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
I wonder if you are like the people at quiet restaurants talking very loudly to each other.

That's us.

I am debating about ordering the Mark Levinson premium sound system since I don't know if I could appreciate the quality at my current hearing level.
Old 01-11-17, 09:02 AM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

[QUOTE=tdjacw;9733780]
Originally Posted by cec327

If there is no problem why did the service Manager tell me Lexus is aware of the Drone/Vibration and is working on a fix.
He stated that when I bring it back for the next service hopefully there will be a solution.
Its interesting that I get very little Drone when the car is cold. After it warms up I get the Drone when letting of the accelerator
and than giving it the gas. If you press hard enough it will down shift and go. But that seems rediculous since this 8 speed is
all about gas mileage and the way I have to drive it is giving me worse gas milage. This car is such a disappointment from all
the other vehicles Ive owned. So furstrated that theres nothing I can do. This is the first car I leased, if I would have purchased it I would have traded it in already and taken the loss.
What's stopping you from trading leased car and taking a loss? It is more beneficial to trade leased car at least in California. When you buy you pay tax on full price upfront. When you lease you only pay tax during each payment which is thousands of dollars in savings if you trade early.

Last edited by Oldfart; 01-11-17 at 09:08 AM.
Old 01-11-17, 11:05 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by jester1
That's us.

I am debating about ordering the Mark Levinson premium sound system since I don't know if I could appreciate the quality at my current hearing level.
I'm not sure what it was about the RX premium sound, but it hurt my ears after extended listening. ML is the way to go.

Strangely enough I was happy enough with my 2010 RX premium sound.
Old 01-11-17, 12:39 PM
PLamarine
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE=tdjacw;9733780]
Originally Posted by cec327

i Have an update to share.

I purchased a Certified 2016 350RX last week. I noticed the vibration shortly after taking ownership. I had to get an inspection sticker today as well as the rear door ECU campaign, and I also told the service writer of the vibration issue.

I just received a call that my car is ready for pickup. The sales writer informed me that the Master Lexus Technician drove the car, also noticed the vibration and stated that Lexus is aware of the problem and is working on a permanent fix. In the meantime, to minimize the vibration (which they stated is due to the exhaust assembly) they completely "loosened" the exhaust and tightened it from "the center out". He stated this should help alleviate some of the vibration.

I am returning to the dealer to get my car in the next few hours, but thought it interesting that the loaner they gave me (2016 RX350) has the vibration but not as bad. My car is an 11/15 build and the loaner a 3/16 build. Also, last week they gave me a 2017 RX350 loaner and it had zero vibration.

Interesting stuff.

Will report back and if appropriate I will post a pic of the work order to see what they did/say they did.
The following users liked this post:
Darith (01-11-17)

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration