RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-17, 01:22 PM
615tpc
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like the issue is with the exhaust. Over at the sienna board, people having the same engine transmission don't have this issue.
Old 01-15-17, 04:05 PM
3sther
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been lurking on this board for a few weeks. I own a Volvo XC90 that is being bought back by the manufacturer via lemon process right now, which is why I have been interested in buying a Lexus.

Thank you all for posting so much great, first-hand, owner experience and opinions!

This thread in particular really concerned me - I do not want to buy another car that I'm going to have problems with. Ever.

I rented a 2016 Lexus RX 350 today and I can totally tell what you are all talking about in terms of the vibrating. You all saved me from making a $58K mistake!

Thank you and good luck!!
Old 01-15-17, 05:21 PM
615tpc
Driver

Originally Posted by 3sther
I've been lurking on this board for a few weeks. I own a Volvo XC90 that is being bought back by the manufacturer via lemon process right now, which is why I have been interested in buying a Lexus.

Thank you all for posting so much great, first-hand, owner experience and opinions!

This thread in particular really concerned me - I do not want to buy another car that I'm going to have problems with. Ever.

I rented a 2016 Lexus RX 350 today and I can totally tell what you are all talking about in terms of the vibrating. You all saved me from making a $58K mistake!

Thank you and good luck!!
You are so lucky to be able to rent one. Which town are you in? Where I am, I'd have a hard time finding any Lexus to rent.
Old 01-15-17, 07:29 PM
3sther
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 615tpc
You are so lucky to be able to rent one. Which town are you in? Where I am, I'd have a hard time finding any Lexus to rent.
Yes! I also feel lucky that I have the opportunity to rent just about any car I want. I am in the Los Angeles Metro Area. Most places around here that rent luxury vehicles are closed on Sundays (today), so I had to drive to Beverly Hills to get one.

I did find out about an app here in the states called Turo where one may rent a private car from the owner. It looks like it's available in Canada too.
Old 01-16-17, 02:28 PM
subaruwrx
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

2017 RX350 AWD and there is excessive vibration and unpleasant noise while stopped and in gear. Dealer tells me this is normal. I told them "what you are saying is Lexus builds ****tier cars than GM and Ford and Lexus is okay with that?"

I've had a diesel ML350 with 80,000km that idled smoother and quieter. Before getting the RX I test drove a 3.5 ecoboost F150 and even that ran smoother than the RX350.

Funny thing is when I put the car in neutral the RPM jumps to 1000 and becomes much smoother and quieter. Not the silky smooth and silent engine I expected from Lexus but is tolerable.
Old 01-16-17, 04:02 PM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

I feel the exact same way, the wife's Chevy Tahoe is super smooth. What blows my mind is there not trying anything.
its pretty clear its an exhaust drone. When I had my Dodge Challenger I installed a performance exhaust from Borla.
I had significant Drone. Called the company and they sent me these reducers which got installed in the pypes, better
but still had Drone, than they sent me new mufflers which were fine. point is they were worried abourt their reputation.
Clearly Lexus doesn't care, I just wish they would at least make some effort and try something, There are an awful lot of
unhappy owners. It will eventually start effecting sales.
Old 01-17-17, 08:19 AM
d725
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default solution report

Well - over the weekend I attached an exhaust damper in front of the catalytic converter as described by Walt1953 in an earlier post. I can report that it indeed made a difference in the drone noise and vibration level in my vehicle. The drone noise is reduced significantly. The vibration at idle is significantly less and the vibration felt through the steering wheel is lessened as well. The vibration felt in the gas pedal has also been reduced - though to a lesser extent. I'd say that is better by half. Overall, I'm glad I tried it. For maximum benefit, I've been running premium fuel and in sport mode all the time. I may add a second damper as well and see what that does if anything.
The following 3 users liked this post by d725:
cec327 (01-17-17), Oldfart (01-17-17), PLamarine (01-17-17)
Old 01-17-17, 11:10 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Originally Posted by d725
Well - over the weekend I attached an exhaust damper in front of the catalytic converter as described by Walt1953 in an earlier post. I can report that it indeed made a difference in the drone noise and vibration level in my vehicle. The drone noise is reduced significantly. The vibration at idle is significantly less and the vibration felt through the steering wheel is lessened as well. The vibration felt in the gas pedal has also been reduced - though to a lesser extent. I'd say that is better by half. Overall, I'm glad I tried it. For maximum benefit, I've been running premium fuel and in sport mode all the time. I may add a second damper as well and see what that does if anything.
Thats great, where can I purchase the part and what is the part number?
Would really like to try this.
Thanks,
Old 01-17-17, 12:08 PM
d725
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tdjacw
Thats great, where can I purchase the part and what is the part number?
Would really like to try this.
Thanks,
Walt1953 posted all the info back in October - around page 19 post #270 +/-

hank all of you who have contributed to this solution! I have resolved the Exhaust Drone Noise Vibration Issue for my 2016 RX 350 FWD. Here's how you can too! Go to your Lexus Dealership and order Part No. 17581-31010 Damper, Exhaust - List $45.97. (I Ordered two, two days later, they were at the Dealership). (You can also order it on eBay). On your drive home, stop by your local car parts store and buy a 2 1/2 " Muffler Clamp.

What it is: This Damper is Heavy! (Steel and vibration absorbing hard rubber type material). It has two holes for normal mounting with some insulated washers. I only used one of the holes. With a cooled off exhaust and a 9/16 deep socket, tighten up the nuts of the Muffler Clamp, with the Damper underneath one of the nuts.

Look at my pictures and mount accordingly for your vehicle, being aware to leave clearance for the up and down articulation movement.

I have to tell you, after I mounted that 1st Damper and drove around the neighborhood - WOW!! What a difference!!! I probably didn't need a 2nd Damper, but after installation and my 2nd test drive around the neighborhood, I don €™t know if I am still intoxicated by the euphoric Energy of the 1st test drive, but I think my Lexus 2016 RX 350 NOW, with the two Dampers mounted, is about the smoothest of any 2016 or 2017 RX that I've been in!
Old 01-17-17, 02:18 PM
615tpc
Driver

Awesome, hopefully more owners will do this and report positive results. Seems simple enough.
Old 01-17-17, 05:53 PM
pqn628
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I stopped by o'reilly auto parts today and picked up a ROL 2.5 inch muffler clamp.

I ordered 17581-31010 from Toyota for 34 dollars. Once I install it, I will report the results.

I got my AC noise fixed today and I am glad that noise is gone.
Old 01-18-17, 12:37 AM
Andersaa
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Hi, Thought I'd chime in for Reference. I took delivery in Norway of a RX450h last week. When engine is warm, going slow, 1-3 mph, in traffic, the ICE will start an stop as designed in a hybrid. Right before stopping, RPM drops to 1000 for a second, and I get a pronounced and annoying rumble from the engine bay. This may also occure for several Seconds when carefully accelrating, or going stedady slow speed uphill With 1000-1100 rpm. The sound may wery well be from severe harmonic vibration in the exhaust system. Just to tell that the 450h probably also has this problem. Car build November 2016 in Japan.
Old 01-18-17, 05:40 AM
pqn628
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I suggest everyone with the issue go to http://www.lexus.com/contact and send Lexus customer satisfaction an email about the issue.

http://www.lexus.com/contact
The following users liked this post:
Oldfart (01-18-17)
Old 01-18-17, 08:16 AM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 125 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Andersaa
Hi, Thought I'd chime in for Reference. I took delivery in Norway of a RX450h last week. When engine is warm, going slow, 1-3 mph, in traffic, the ICE will start an stop as designed in a hybrid. Right before stopping, RPM drops to 1000 for a second, and I get a pronounced and annoying rumble from the engine bay. This may also occure for several Seconds when carefully accelrating, or going stedady slow speed uphill With 1000-1100 rpm. The sound may wery well be from severe harmonic vibration in the exhaust system. Just to tell that the 450h probably also has this problem. Car build November 2016 in Japan.
I have a 2017 450h. It is difficult to access the drone and vibration since it seems to happen at low speed and when the RPM is around 1200-1400. Most of the time at those speeds, the 450h is running electric and thus, do not hear the drone or feel the vibration. However, when accelerating or going on a steady uphill at constant speed under 40MPH, I can say also confirm that is when it most pronounced. I need to try the damper fix and see how that changes things.
Old 01-18-17, 10:49 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pqn628
I stopped by o'reilly auto parts today and picked up a ROL 2.5 inch muffler clamp.

I ordered 17581-31010 from Toyota for 34 dollars. Once I install it, I will report the results.

I got my AC noise fixed today and I am glad that noise is gone.

Just ordered two from the Local toyota dealer $48 each, guess I paid to much. He said there are only three left in the country.
I will also report back, are you installing them rights after the CATS?

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration