RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-17, 03:42 PM
PLamarine
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tdjacw
Just called Toyota to see if my Exhaust Dampers came in. Now they tell me there back ordered.
Maybe dealers are installing them. Hard to believe there is a great demand for them.
I got the last two in the country that were located in Atlanta.
Old 01-23-17, 03:47 PM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Oh Thanks, now you really put a Damper on things. Lol !!!!
Old 01-23-17, 06:35 PM
subaruwrx
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

After being told by the service manager it's just the way it is with RX350 I have twitted to Lexus Canada about the noise and vibration. They have called me back in 4 days and told me they will look into it and follow up on it, and that was last Wednesday.

If anyone from Lexus Canada is reading this just know that I've got your product because I was sick of German cars having problems as soon as warranty expires. I bought Lexus because my spirited driving days are over and I wanted something quiet and smooth that I can keep for long term w/o having issues. I've owned everything from 96 Impala SS, Nissan Quest, 3, C, E, ML to A6. And I must say RX350 is by far the roughest engine I've had. And it's not a feel good grunt of a performance car but more like a barebone Caravan I use as a company car. I understand no car manufacturer is perfect, but acknowledging there is an issue and providing customers with update goes a long way instead of treating like I'm crazy by saying thing like "you are the only one with that complain" or "it's just the way it is"

sometime this week I'm going to test drive a Venza and see if it's smoother than RX.
The following 2 users liked this post by subaruwrx:
615tpc (01-23-17), pkumar1981 (02-25-17)
Old 01-23-17, 07:04 PM
615tpc
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by subaruwrx
After being told by the service manager it's just the way it is with RX350 I have twitted to Lexus Canada about the noise and vibration. They have called me back in 4 days and told me they will look into it and follow up on it, and that was last Wednesday.

If anyone from Lexus Canada is reading this just know that I've got your product because I was sick of German cars having problems as soon as warranty expires. I bought Lexus because my spirited driving days are over and I wanted something quiet and smooth that I can keep for long term w/o having issues. I've owned everything from 96 Impala SS, Nissan Quest, 3, C, E, ML to A6. And I must say RX350 is by far the roughest engine I've had. And it's not a feel good grunt of a performance car but more like a barebone Caravan I use as a company car. I understand no car manufacturer is perfect, but acknowledging there is an issue and providing customers with update goes a long way instead of treating like I'm crazy by saying thing like "you are the only one with that complain" or "it's just the way it is"

sometime this week I'm going to test drive a Venza and see if it's smoother than RX.
96 Impala SS would have been the best for smooth power IMO. With a pushrod? Love those cars. How do you compare that with the RX for highway stability. I always felt my 2013 ES350 was too light at +++highway speeds.
Old 01-25-17, 07:00 PM
DennisK
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I bought a damper and installed it, in my opinion it didn't help that much. Maybe I need to tweak it. There is just something wrong with spending $60K on a car and having to pay for parts and lay on a cold garage floor trying to make it sound as quiet as a Chevy. I wrote to Lexus customer service and this was their response:01/22/2017 06:50 PM
I have never been so disappointed in a vehicle. I have owned a GS 350, LS 460, ES 350 and another RX 350. The quality f those made it easy for me to purchase a 2017 RX, I have never had so much buyer's remorse. This "droning" noise that is very well publicized is unacceptable. I have gotten where I actually hate to drive this vehicle due to the noise. I have not taken it to the dealership because the 100's of posts that are on the internet all state that Lexus does not acknowledge it as a problem. What does Lexus plan to do about this?

Thank you for contacting the Lexus Customer Satisfaction Department. Your concern is important to Lexus, and we appreciate the time you have taken to share your thoughts. We are dedicated to providing superior service.

We apologize for the concerns that you are experiencing with your 2017 RX. We value you being a loyal Lexus customer and would be more than happy to look further into this for you. We will, however, need a bit more information.

Regardless of the posts you have read, please take your vehicle to an authorized Lexus dealership to have your vehicle physically inspected. When this is completed please contact us with the results of the diagnostic and also provide the following information:

Your primary phone number:

Home address:

Current mileage:

Name of the Lexus dealer you are working with:

After we receive your response we will forward your concern to a Case Manager. If needed, you may obtain contact information for your local dealership by visiting www.lexus.com/dealers.

If you require further assistance, please respond to this email, or contact Lexus Customer Satisfaction at 1-800-255-3987, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., or Saturday, 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., Eastern Standard Time.

Sincerely,

Risë Barringer

Lexus Customer Satisfaction
Old 01-26-17, 10:12 AM
KenwK
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DennisK
I bought a damper and installed it, in my opinion it didn't help that much. Maybe I need to tweak it. There is just something wrong with spending $60K on a car and having to pay for parts and lay on a cold garage floor trying to make it sound as quiet as a Chevy.
Agreed 100%, I will be taking my RX to the dealer this weekend even though I kind of know the answer.
Old 01-26-17, 12:58 PM
cec327
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=DennisK;9750071]I bought a damper and installed it, in my opinion it didn't help that much. Maybe I need to tweak it. There is just something wrong with spending $60K on a car and having to pay for parts and lay on a cold garage floor trying to make it sound as quiet as a Chevy.

I agree with you.
Old 01-26-17, 07:51 PM
stevemcb
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

This is really funny. Our vehicles buck, nearly stall, drone, shift up and down looking for the right gear and we are putting different gas, adding devices etc. Most of us bought our vehicles based on our previous experience with a older RX350. This vehicle shifts worse than my 1963 Chevy two speed powerglide . Has anyone ever tried to take it on a trip to the mountains while using cruise control or even a bridge for that matter . It will shift two or three different gears on a small incline trying to figure out what to do .
This is one of the most viewed post on the forum which tells you something about the problem .

Last edited by stevemcb; 01-26-17 at 07:56 PM.
Old 01-27-17, 02:30 AM
PLamarine
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by stevemcb
This is really funny. Our vehicles buck, nearly stall, drone, shift up and down looking for the right gear and we are putting different gas, adding devices etc. Most of us bought our vehicles based on our previous experience with a older RX350. This vehicle shifts worse than my 1963 Chevy two speed powerglide . Has anyone ever tried to take it on a trip to the mountains while using cruise control or even a bridge for that matter . It will shift two or three different gears on a small incline trying to figure out what to do .
This is one of the most viewed post on the forum which tells you something about the problem .
I agree 110%
Old 01-27-17, 02:20 PM
s2000zr
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This is where the industry is shifting towards 8 to 10 speed trans. I assume things will get worse from here. I bought a new Honda Ridgeline with 6 speed, unlike their problematic nine speed Honda Pilot. Drives and shift way better than the rx350.
Old 01-27-17, 03:33 PM
DennisK
Driver School Candidate

I really think the reason that Lexus does not acknowledge it as a problem is so they will not be forced to buy these cars back via lemon laws.
Old 01-27-17, 05:14 PM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

I finally called Lexus customer service and made my complaint official.
They asked be if I would be interested in the buy back program, I said yes.
Waiting for a call back, we shall see what they say.
Old 01-27-17, 06:53 PM
615tpc
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Gear downshifts while cruise is engaged aren't too bothersome if the engine is quiet. Is it quiet? Also what speeds is this happening at? It is concerning. There should be enough torque to move these cars uphill at highway speeds.
Old 01-28-17, 03:52 AM
amphiprion
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just checked back to this thread after many months and am sorry to see this thread has grown to what it is with so many experiencing this issue. I test drove the 2016 RXh last year and I did hear and feel what I would call a noticeable rumble and then drone during acceleration. This left me with an overall sense that it was less refined than I expected, but at the time thought it was normal. Lexus lost a sale that day in part because of this issue. I hope they step up and issue a service bulletin to address this using some of what is already known to help such as the dampers. There's way too much competition (and more coming) for the RX for Lexus to leave customers out in the cold.
Old 01-28-17, 10:15 AM
KenwK
Driver School Candidate

Ok just got back from dealer, according to the tech, pretty much all RX have this issue but varies on the level of noise. So some might be pretty noisy and some might not. Also Tech said Lexus knew about this but not sure when a solution is available. I then asked about installing a damper and the tech said it might help but if it is that simple Lexus would have fixed this already. At this moment all he can do is report back to Lexus about another customer complain.

Last edited by KenwK; 01-28-17 at 04:48 PM.

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration