RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-17, 02:07 PM
donmatt
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just installed my second exhaust damper yesterday. The first was installed about a month by me after Lexus authorized the Dealer to install an exhaust damper that is much lighter in weight than the other two I have installed which is identified as P/N 17581-31010. The damper that the Dealer installed did very little to stop the vibration on start off with the RPM approx 1100-1400. After I installed the first one at the front of the catalytic converter location there was a noticeable reduction in the vibration but one could still feel it. I decided to order #2. Installed it at the rear of the catalytic converter location yesterday and it has made a world of difference in the noise/vibration. At this time it is barely noticeable and I am a pretty picky very senior individual. In fact it is not completely satisfactory but it is so much better that I can live with it until I trade again. When I do trade though it wont be for another Lexus. Not the way Lexus has handled this situation. BTW, Lexus did not agree to install the one damper because I had filed a complaint; My Dealer Tech followed up on the problem until they got tired of him calling the Lexus hotline for assistance in my opinion; I have owned an ES350, LX470, and several RX350s and never had a problem with any of them. That's why I bought a 2016 RX350. The 2016 could be a great vehicle if Lexus would just take care of the problems associated with it. Maybe they will wake up one day and realize their competition is cleaning their clock is sales. Maybe they think they are too big to change but it is amazing how quick one can fall with an arrogant attitude in customer service The customer will eventually win. Good luck all;.
Old 01-28-17, 05:52 PM
subaruwrx
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by donmatt
I just installed my second exhaust damper yesterday. The first was installed about a month by me after Lexus authorized the Dealer to install an exhaust damper that is much lighter in weight than the other two I have installed which is identified as P/N 17581-31010. The damper that the Dealer installed did very little to stop the vibration on start off with the RPM approx 1100-1400. After I installed the first one at the front of the catalytic converter location there was a noticeable reduction in the vibration but one could still feel it. I decided to order #2. Installed it at the rear of the catalytic converter location yesterday and it has made a world of difference in the noise/vibration. At this time it is barely noticeable and I am a pretty picky very senior individual. In fact it is not completely satisfactory but it is so much better that I can live with it until I trade again. When I do trade though it wont be for another Lexus. Not the way Lexus has handled this situation. BTW, Lexus did not agree to install the one damper because I had filed a complaint; My Dealer Tech followed up on the problem until they got tired of him calling the Lexus hotline for assistance in my opinion; I have owned an ES350, LX470, and several RX350s and never had a problem with any of them. That's why I bought a 2016 RX350. The 2016 could be a great vehicle if Lexus would just take care of the problems associated with it. Maybe they will wake up one day and realize their competition is cleaning their clock is sales. Maybe they think they are too big to change but it is amazing how quick one can fall with an arrogant attitude in customer service The customer will eventually win. Good luck all;.
Gone are the days when Toyota actually cared for their customers. I actually stopped driving the RX and unless they fix the issue soon this will be my first and the last Lexus.

On a side note. According to a person working for a GM tier 1 supplier as a QC engineer, it's all numbers game. Untill dealers claim over a certain dollar amount for warranty re: this issue, Lexus will never come out with a fix.
Old 01-28-17, 10:44 PM
s2000zr
Driver

Rx350 sale was over 100,000 unit in 2016. More than Double the competition. They are not going to fix anything.
The following users liked this post:
Oldfart (01-29-17)
Old 01-29-17, 04:55 AM
615tpc
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

So this issue still exists in the 2017 models as well?
Old 01-29-17, 05:41 AM
donmatt
Driver

Originally Posted by s2000zr
Rx350 sale was over 100,000 unit in 2016. More than Double the competition. They are not going to fix anything.
You are absolutely correct about Lexus not fixing or admitting a problem exist but a little time will tell since the 2017 RX has the same problem. We shall see. The word will get out. Rest assured of that.
Old 01-29-17, 09:36 AM
subaruwrx
Driver School Candidate

I wonder, anyone suspect these issues maybe linked to the exhaust manifold being integrated into cylinder heads?
Old 01-29-17, 01:56 PM
donmatt
Driver

Originally Posted by subaruwrx
I wonder, anyone suspect these issues maybe linked to the exhaust manifold being integrated into cylinder heads?

I cannot comment on that maybe being the cause. However, an engineer (not a smart one) engineered this problem we are having into the RX so you would assume that a smart one could engineer it out. That is if Lexus would allow and admit a problem exist. Sounds as though that Lexus expects consumers to accept whatever crap they build and be fully satisfied. Do not want any consumer complaints with their product because everything is "Normal operation because another RX is doing the same thing". What a crock! Just a lot of bull with total arrogance.
Old 01-29-17, 02:03 PM
DennisK
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 615tpc
So this issue still exists in the 2017 models as well?
Yes, unfortunately. I have a 2017 that has a terrible droning sound. Let's not even get started about the terrible performance of the transmission at lower speeds...
Old 01-29-17, 05:23 PM
615tpc
Driver

I was thinking of trading my car to get an rx350. Love the interior and Lexus quality feel. But this issue is unnerving.

my Lexus dealer sales people deny there is any issue.
Old 01-29-17, 05:28 PM
615tpc
Driver

For those of you who have this, when did you first notice it? As soon as you took it home? Or does it appear after a few hundred miles.
Old 01-29-17, 05:44 PM
Comfort
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I was thinking of trading my car to get an rx350. Love the interior and Lexus quality feel. But this issue is unnerving.

my Lexus dealer sales people deny there is any issue.
I had the same feedback from Lexus Sales people, typical salesman!!! Salesman asked around the dealership and then said they had never heard of quality issues. I asked about the gurgling, vibration and sluggish acceleration. They gave the usual response "don't believe what you hear on the internet". Then on a test drive I felt the vibration and noted that my Gen 3 had better acceleration even though less HP. Salesman didn't feel anything and said that it wasn't broken in yet. I waited another 6 months hoping that Lexus would fix these things since the RX is their bread and butter. Unlike many other manufacturers, Lexus makes few running changes unless safety related. I knew this from issues with my Tundra and Gen 3 RX but hoped this time it would be different.
Old 01-29-17, 09:21 PM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

For those of you who have this, when did you first notice it? As soon as you took it home? Or does it appear after a few hundred miles.
It is present on day one. Technically speaking it is just an air vibration that happens at certain RPMs some people will think it is noise. Since 87% of new owners would by this car again it is safe to say that 87% of owners aren't bothered by this noise.
Now tell me why would a large corporation cater to 13% that are not satisfied when it is impossible to satisfy 100%.

I once worked for one of the largest food manufacturing companies in the world and when we did marketing analysis on a new product we were shooting for 55% satisfaction rate. Meaning if more than 55% liked new product it was considered success.
Old 01-30-17, 06:17 AM
michelle35
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I added a second damper and I have to say the vibration is significantly better. After the first damper, it was only slightly better but the added weight of the second helped more.
I realize no car is perfect but for the $$ spent, I shouldn't have to add dampers to be content. I wish I would have noticed it on my test drive because my decision to buy would have been different.
Old 01-30-17, 06:23 AM
d725
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by michelle35
I added a second damper and I have to say the vibration is significantly better. After the first damper, it was only slightly better but the added weight of the second helped more.
I realize no car is perfect but for the $$ spent, I shouldn't have to add dampers to be content. I wish I would have noticed it on my test drive because my decision to buy would have been different.
Hi - where dis you place the second damper?
Old 01-30-17, 06:56 AM
michelle35
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed them in the same locations that Walt1953 posted pictures of his installation, on page 18 of this thread.

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration