RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-17, 11:22 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

I moved the rear damper to the front. Both of them are off the same bracket. one on the left side and one on the right side.
Still when i put the car in park and slowly rev the motor I still get vibration and drone from 1200 to 1800 rpms. Is it less, I
really cant tell the difference. It's rediculous that Im crawling under a 50k+ car trying to fix an issue that Lexus thinks
is normal. The Engineers who let this go into production shoild be fired. So much for the pursuit of perfection.

Last edited by tdjacw; 02-08-17 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-08-17, 11:23 AM
PLamarine
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I wonder if using 2 clamps on the 1 damper has a different effect? Walt only used 1.
Old 02-08-17, 11:24 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PLamarine
I wonder if using 2 clamps on the 1 damper has a different effect? Walt only used 1.
I only used one clamp, no difference.
Old 02-08-17, 11:52 AM
clwu
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tdjacw
I moved the rear damper to the front. Both of them are off the same bracket. one on the left side and one on the right side.
Have you ever had them on different bracket (i'm assuming you are talking about the clamps)? If so, I dont think they are supposed to be on the same one. Maybe that's why it's not working for you.
Old 02-08-17, 03:10 PM
mccutcj
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KenwK
Not from me, this will be my last Lexus.
I agree. Like I stated previously. First Lexus. Last Lexus. There is nothing like the school of hard knocks.
Old 02-08-17, 04:00 PM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Originally Posted by clwu
Have you ever had them on different bracket (i'm assuming you are talking about the clamps)? If so, I dont think they are supposed to be on the same one. Maybe that's why it's not working for you.

Tried the dampers every which way, front, back , single bracket, two on a bracket. Very little effect.
I do agree the front of the Cat is the only place I think it had some effect. So I mounted both of them
in that spot. I would guess maybe a 10% difference. I am statring to believe that something in the drive
train is not balanced correctly causing the Drone/vibration. Probably why Lexus is having a hard time fixing the problem.
I guess with bad Engineering, it's easier to say its normal.
e
Old 02-10-17, 06:39 AM
subaruwrx
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What angers me the most is how Lexus and its dealers are handling the situation. The assistant service manager who looks like a cliche greaseball dealer personnel initially flat out lies and says "I don't feel it." Then "The new RX are designed to be more sporty and they are all like that. BTW we always use premium gas maybe you should too."

Im sorry but I know sporty. I've had a Bimmer and a WRX. And I know unrefined trashy as well. I use a base model Caravan as a company car. And what RX feels is trashy just like how my $17,000 basic Caravan vibrantes and makes unrefined noise at low RPM. Noise and vibration does not equal sporty, not on a $65,000 lux suv. And to have the greaeball trying to justify it while talking to me like I'm a child makes my blood boil. And for him to suggest premium gas may resolve the issue is just dumb. Premium gas just means harder to detonate and what we are feeling is not knocks or pings.

Just for comparison, I just dropped off my E400 for brake noise. MB couldn't replicate it but instead of sending me back on my way, they changed the front pads anyway no questions asked.

I don't expect any car to be perfect, but if Lexus continues to treat the issue and the affected customers the way they have this this too will be my first and last Lexus. And you can be sure I'll talk everyone around me out of buying one.
The following users liked this post:
615tpc (02-10-17)
Old 02-10-17, 07:49 AM
615tpc
Driver

Originally Posted by subaruwrx
What angers me the most is how Lexus and its dealers are handling the situation. The assistant service manager who looks like a cliche greaseball dealer personnel initially flat out lies and says "I don't feel it." Then "The new RX are designed to be more sporty and they are all like that. BTW we always use premium gas maybe you should too."

Im sorry but I know sporty. I've had a Bimmer and a WRX. And I know unrefined trashy as well. I use a base model Caravan as a company car. And what RX feels is trashy just like how my $17,000 basic Caravan vibrantes and makes unrefined noise at low RPM. Noise and vibration does not equal sporty, not on a $65,000 lux suv. And to have the greaeball trying to justify it while talking to me like I'm a child makes my blood boil. And for him to suggest premium gas may resolve the issue is just dumb. Premium gas just means harder to detonate and what we are feeling is not knocks or pings.

Just for comparison, I just dropped off my E400 for brake noise. MB couldn't replicate it but instead of sending me back on my way, they changed the front pads anyway no questions asked.

I don't expect any car to be perfect, but if Lexus continues to treat the issue and the affected customers the way they have this this too will be my first and last Lexus. And you can be sure I'll talk everyone around me out of buying one.
IMO Lexus can't do sporty all round. They try to replicate it but it doesn't work. Their GS model is failing. I twice considered upgrading to it but the AWD drivetrain noise near the driver made it a worse car than my 2013 ES IMO. Sure it handles well. Lexus does Luxury fit and finish and quality better than anyone IMO.
Old 02-10-17, 10:30 AM
quine
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have a 2017 non f-sport and that I bought 2 weeks ago.

I haven't noticed anything significant in terms of noise or vibration except on start up on cold mornings. Engine sounds a bit rough but goes away in a few. No change in performance. I've put on 580mi on it- hwy and city.

It's not dead quiet like a friend's LS, but I'm pretty happy with it.
Old 02-10-17, 04:58 PM
KenwK
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It appears Lexus has just released a TSB for RX's transmission issue, not sure this will help ease the Drone noise.
Old 02-10-17, 05:24 PM
clwu
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KenwK
It appears Lexus has just released a TSB for RX's transmission issue, not sure this will help ease the Drone noise.
Really? Is it for the hesitation? How do we check list of TSB?
Old 02-10-17, 05:46 PM
KenwK
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by clwu
Really? Is it for the hesitation? How do we check list of TSB?
I guess calling the dealer will get you the info, see posting from other thread.

Originally Posted by PCW
Lexus Technical Service Bulletin number L-SB-0109-17 is now available from Lexus. I had it uploaded into my 2016 RX350's computer today and the transmission hesitation is now gone and the shifting is so much smoother. The 8 speed now shifts like it should have from the beginning. The senior Tech at my local dealer said it was finally approved by the EPA this week.
The following 2 users liked this post by KenwK:
clwu (02-10-17), donmatt (02-11-17)
Old 02-12-17, 10:24 PM
pkumar1981
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry YouTube video of droning vibration noise 2017 rx 350 on cold start low RPM

YouTube video of droning vibration noise 2017 rx 350 on cold start low RPM

this is the noise I am experiencing on cold starts even after warming engine up 10 minutes, the noise occurs on low rpm acceleration and then eventually goes away after few minutes of driving.

focus on 33-36 seconds and 54-56 seconds into the video ...
dealership stated Lexus is aware of the issue but no remedy and also noted on the service call that this is common characteristic of the new RX body style .... once lexus comes up with a fix, it will be fixed under warranty.
Old 02-13-17, 02:52 AM
615tpc
Driver

Not sure if I heard the right thing but that sounds like an exhaust resonance. If that is the only problem, it should be easy to fix.
Old 02-13-17, 04:38 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pkumar1981
YouTube video of droning vibration noise 2017 rx 350 on cold start low RPM

this is the noise I am experiencing on cold starts even after warming engine up 10 minutes, the noise occurs on low rpm acceleration and then eventually goes away after few minutes of driving.

focus on 33-36 seconds and 54-56 seconds into the video ...
https://youtu.be/vpzkPLnv544
dealership stated Lexus is aware of the issue but no remedy and also noted on the service call that this is common characteristic of the new RX body style .... once lexus comes up with a fix, it will be fixed under warranty.

When did you have it in for service. I was told there is a TSB being released shortly?

I think there are two seperate issues here. One is the drone, however there is an inherent vibration at low RPMs which I think is
making the Drone worse, or could be the other way around.
I changed exhausts on some of my other veheciles an had really bad Drone, but there was no vibration.
So it's possible there are two seperate issues. The vibration might not be so easy to come up with a fix.

Another thing regarding the exhaust. All the other vehicles I have purchased use a muffler and a resonator.
Muffler to quiet the exhaust and the resonator is designed to kill any drone.
The Lexus only uses one muffler, not sure why they don't use a resonator, could be the problem.

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Excessive noise and vibration